Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alc
American Express Cobalt Credit Card

GCR $50 Rebate --> https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/

Detail copy from GCR link above:
  • In your first year as a new Cobalt Cardmember, you can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 30,000 points in a year.
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by 01/30/18 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend a total of $3,000 in net purchases in your first 3 months
  • Earn 5 points for every $1 spent on Card purchases at eligible restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada
  • Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases. That’s 2X the points on purchases that get you from point A to B
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else. We won’t tell you where to spend, we’ll just reward you on your Card purchases
  • Get advance access to tickets to some of the hottest concerts, shows and events through Front Of The Line® by American Express Invites® and advance screenings to blockbuster movies. Plus, more great perks.
  • American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link.
  • $10 per month of Cardmembership ($120 annually)
Print Wikipost

2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:49 am

How long did it take you guys to receive your card in the mail? I applied on October 10 and still haven't received anything yet; I'm starting to worry that there's something weird on my credit rating.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:32 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Originally Posted by akqjt
How long did it take you guys to receive your card in the mail? I applied on October 10 and still haven't received anything yet; I'm starting to worry that there's something weird on my credit rating.

It took me 3-4 days.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:38 pm
zaf

Originally Posted by yosemite1
Might also be worth pointing out that the MR accumulated through this card when it comes to travel are only redeemable for Amex Fixed Mile redemptions and only redeemable for round trips, no one ways or multi city routes
True, but you can transfer to SPG at a rate of 2 MR : 1 SPG . So for the sake of argument lets say you only use this card at 5x points per dollar merchants. Lets say you spend 40k per year. That's 200k MR points. Transferred to SPG makes it 100k PSG points. This can be transferred to virtually any airline frequent flyer at 1:1 + 5k bonus per 20k PSG. So if you transfer it to Aeroplan this could result in 125k aeroplan miles.

To summarize the above, 40k CAD can result in 125k miles, aka 3 miles per 1 dollar. This is excluding the sign on bonus.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:53 pm
alc

Originally Posted by zaf
.....This can be transferred to virtually any airline frequent flyer at 1:1 + 5k bonus per 20k SPG.....
I think a lot of CDN likely think about UA as AC/AP alternative FFP... so, just thought to remind everyone that SPG to UA is "not" 1:1, it is 2:1, i.e. 20K SPG get you 12.5K UA with the every 20K bonus. Hence, you will better off go thru the next step and put them into Marriott and get the travel package... if UA is your program of choice.

180K MR => 132K UA + 7-night CAT 1-5 cert
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:07 pm

If you have both the Platinum card and the Cobalt card does your MR points pool into one tier, or are you stuck with points that can be transferred to airlines and points that can't?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bxio
If you have both the Platinum card and the Cobalt card does your MR points pool into one tier, or are you stuck with points that can be transferred to airlines and points that can't?
Looks like no, they are 2 separate accounts and you can't even combine points to book a fixed points redemption...
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Looks like no, they are 2 separate accounts and you can't even combine points to book a fixed points redemption...
If you call them up they will move points from a Gold/Platinum card to the Cobalt (just not the other way around).
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:38 am
zaf

If you have a platinum and you open a cobalt account you will then have to MR accounts.
Cobalt: MR Select Tier
Platinum: MR First
The reason I got the Cobalt is the ability to transfer points to BA and air canada at $1:3 Avios or Aeroplan. With the platinum it was $1:1.25. So it is a significant improvement.
So my current spending plan:
For merchants that take AmEx inside of Canada:
Food & Drinks: Cobalt
Everything Else: Platinum
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zaf
If you have a platinum and you open a cobalt account you will then have to MR accounts.
The reason I got the Cobalt is the ability to transfer points to BA and air canada at $1:3 Avios or Aeroplan. With the platinum it was $1:1.25. So it is a significant improvement.
And for Amez SPG it is $1:2 avios or aeroplan, so even better than Amex Plat for non-food and drink merchants.
By the way who want to convert SPG into Avios or Aeroplan...
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by zaf
What card do you use when AMEX isn't available at a merchant?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by akqjt
Did you get yours yet? Applied after you and am curious as to how long it'll take
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:11 pm
zaf

Originally Posted by yosemite1
What card do you use when AMEX isn't available at a merchant?
CIBC Aeroplan infinite VISA or CapitalOne MasterCard (I have an old card that gives 1.5% cash back).
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
You can refer from the personal gold to cobalt for a 5K referral bonus.
Can anyone confirm they were able to self-refer? The $50 GCR rebate is tempting, but so is a 5K bonus...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:22 pm

I went ahead an applied via GCR.

I did not get an instant approval. They called me the following day to tell me that I'd have to cancel one of my other Amex credit cards (SPG Biz or SPG Personal) or lower my limit on my SPG Personal in order to get a $5300 limit on my Cobalt. I chose the latter, for now, and they approved me and told me my card would arrive in 7-12 business days.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by pokee
I went ahead an applied via GCR.

I did not get an instant approval. They called me the following day to tell me that I'd have to cancel one of my other Amex credit cards (SPG Biz or SPG Personal) or lower my limit on my SPG Personal in order to get a $5300 limit on my Cobalt. I chose the latter, for now, and they approved me and told me my card would arrive in 7-12 business days.
BREAK THROUGH!!

So you were allowed to open a 3rd Amex credit card?! For years the maximum in Canada has been 2, with a few anomolies here and there that allowed someone to get a 3rd CC. I wonder if this is the new maximum now?

Congrats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.