Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alc
American Express Cobalt Credit Card

GCR $50 Rebate --> https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/

Detail copy from GCR link above:
  • In your first year as a new Cobalt Cardmember, you can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 30,000 points in a year.
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by 01/30/18 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend a total of $3,000 in net purchases in your first 3 months
  • Earn 5 points for every $1 spent on Card purchases at eligible restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada
  • Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases. That’s 2X the points on purchases that get you from point A to B
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else. We won’t tell you where to spend, we’ll just reward you on your Card purchases
  • Get advance access to tickets to some of the hottest concerts, shows and events through Front Of The Line® by American Express Invites® and advance screenings to blockbuster movies. Plus, more great perks.
  • American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link.
  • $10 per month of Cardmembership ($120 annually)
Print Wikipost

2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:09 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by KChu
Unfortunately no news

Restricted as in... You are not allowed to transfer your MR to any frequent flyer programs. Hotel is still OK though.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I think it will be similar to the choice card, I recall transfer to hilton and spg was available but not any of the airlines.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:35 pm

2,500 a month provided you spend 500$ a month.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by yyzguy12345
Do you know this for a fact or is it a guess?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Do you know this for a fact or is it a guess?
Fact from an employee who was at their internal product launch today.
Product launch next week Sept 26th.
Annual fee as mention before is 10/month.
There is a launch party at some place in Kensington Market that will be a "speak easy" and Gordon Ramsay and some other "celebs" too.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
If I can't transfer MR to an airline (and not necessarily Aeroplan) then I have zero interest in the product.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by mapleg
If I can't transfer MR to an airline (and not necessarily Aeroplan) then I have zero interest in the product.
Transfer to SPG then to a large choice of airlines, or combine with another MR card to get the transfer to airline functionality.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Interesting approach...

While I can appreciate the attempt at being innovative, I'm not a fan (millennial here), unless it's 2500 points per month for the life of the card and not just the first year. That along with the generous category bonuses could make it a competitive card (though I do wonder how long MR -> SPG will be around as the program winds down).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:34 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Er, so 16 months of 500 min spend or just the first 3 months? That's $8000, even the platinum card doesn't have that much of a spend requirement.

This puts them in league with RBC's CX/BA cards in terms of spend requirement.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mapleg
5x earnings = 2.5SPG points/$ = 3.125FFP/$

that's still fantastic earnings.

that's... interesting. I mean, I don't think anyone will have trouble hitting 500/month, but that's still quite a hefty spend requirement inhibiting churning other cards after initial spend. Probably still worth it though.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Er, so 16 months of 500 min spend or just the first 3 months? That's $8000, even the platinum card doesn't have that much of a spend requirement.

This puts them in league with RBC's CX/BA cards in terms of spend requirement.
Sorry I dont know the details, if I can get then will post. All I heard was it was a bullet point in the presentation saying "2,500 MR/month with 500 spend" and the person giving the presentation positioned it as "we want our card members to enjoy the MR over time instead of using all at once"
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
A question remains though: We know that millenials have a shorter attention span, will they mind the (relatively) limited acceptance of AMEX and will they go through the hassle of finding/preferring businesses that take the card ?
I know many millennial including myself who use Amex. Admittedly pretty much everywhere in Calgary takes Amex and the big chains who don't take Amex like Loblaws don't have much of a presence here.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Sorry I dont know the details, if I can get then will post. All I heard was it was a bullet point in the presentation saying "2,500 MR/month with 500 spend" and the person giving the presentation positioned it as "we want our card members to enjoy the MR over time instead of using all at once"
That could just mean 500 initial spend - and spreading the MR out over time is very clearly not "wa want them to enjoy it all at once" but "we don't want people to apply, get the MR and then cancel right away". Fair enough.

500 initial and then keep holding onto the card for a year before cancelling isn't so bad if that's what it is - for 2.5SPG/$ or 3.125FFP/$.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Smiley90
That could just mean 500 initial spend - and spreading the MR out over time is very clearly not "wa want them to enjoy it all at once" but "we don't want people to apply, get the MR and then cancel right away". Fair enough.

500 initial and then keep holding onto the card for a year before cancelling isn't so bad if that's what it is - for 2.5SPG/$ or 3.125FFP/$.
Agreed. I'm OK with putting down $500 a month to max out the bonus. That's a compromise I can live with, especially for 2.5 SPG a dollar.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, *G
I guess everyone is looking pretty positively towards the card! Looking forward for launch on 26th.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:16 am

If details are accurate, this could become my daily spend card.

RIP Amex personal platinum though. I wonder what the annual fee on the cobalt card will be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.