2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 27, 17, 2:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: alc
Wiki Link
American Express Cobalt Credit Card

GCR $50 Rebate --> https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/

Detail copy from GCR link above:
  • In your first year as a new Cobalt Cardmember, you can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 30,000 points in a year.
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by 01/30/18 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend a total of $3,000 in net purchases in your first 3 months
  • Earn 5 points for every $1 spent on Card purchases at eligible restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada
  • Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases. That’s 2X the points on purchases that get you from point A to B
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else. We won’t tell you where to spend, we’ll just reward you on your Card purchases
  • Get advance access to tickets to some of the hottest concerts, shows and events through Front Of The Line® by American Express Invites® and advance screenings to blockbuster movies. Plus, more great perks.
  • American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link.
  • $10 per month of Cardmembership ($120 annually)
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 25, 17, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC, DL, Marriott, SPG, Fairmont, Best Western
Can't wait for the Cobalt card!

Last edited by MasterGeek; Sep 25, 17 at 3:57 pm
Old Sep 25, 17, 5:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Well, AMEX Cobalt application is now live (not a referral link)
https://global.americanexpress.com/a..._cobalt_credit

no idea of the welcome bonus yet
Old Sep 25, 17, 5:48 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Thanks, jerryhung. (So many Jerry's...)

"TOP CARD BENEFITS
Earn 5x the points on eligible eats & drinks
Earn 2x the points on eligible travel & transit
Earn 1x the points on everything else"

Footnotes available here

But, yeah, nothing about welcome bonus.
Old Sep 26, 17, 3:38 am

The landing page is now live:

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...n/cobalt-card/

- 2,500 MR per month if you spend $500 in the first twelve months of cardmembership (no indication that the offer continues after the first year as per early murmurs)
- SIGNUP BONUS: 10,000 MR bonus if you apply before 1/30/18 and spend $3,000 in your first three months
- $10 monthly fee
- Free supplementary cards
Old Sep 26, 17, 5:00 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
No mention of conversion of points to SPG at all...
Old Sep 26, 17, 7:59 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Points can be redeemed in the Membership Rewards Select Tier and are not eligible for transfer to programs that offer airline and frequent flyer redemptions.
-- https://global.americanexpress.com/a...notespopup.jsp

The Membership Rewards Terms include a chart which shows that Select Tier points can be transferred to hotel programs, but not to airlines.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
MR.CA.Terms.pdf (124.4 KB, 656 views)
Old Sep 26, 17, 8:45 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by mia View Post

The Membership Rewards Terms include a chart which shows that Select Tier points can be transferred to hotel programs, but not to airlines.
This can be a game changer. It says in the TOS "Generally, Linked Cards must participate in the same reward level, however you can request to link a Card that participates in the Membership Rewards Tier to a Card in the Membership Rewards First™ Tier. If we agree to link your Cards, points earned on both Cards will be credited to the Points Account in the Membership Rewards First™ Tier."

Both AMEX Plat and AMEX Biz Plat participates in Membership Rewards First.

Edit: nvm just saw that Cobalt is Membership Rewards Select
Old Sep 26, 17, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post

We confirmed it with our Amex Canada contact who replied to us:
"Transfers to Hilton and SPG is allowed." (milesopedia)
Hyacinthe likes this.
Old Sep 26, 17, 10:30 am

I was kind of hoping the 30k (2,500 per month) bonus would be for the life of the card, not just the first year .
Hyacinthe likes this.
Old Sep 26, 17, 10:38 am

When you use these fixed-points type of rewards, do the points pay for the entire cost or just the actual air-fare and then you have to pay taxes and charges etc.?
i logged into my platinum account and i can see that i can book fixed points awards there but there is the fees co-pay as well which really lowers the value.
Also, I think i can assume that these fixed-points awards are not subject to the capacity controls of aeroplan, avios, et al, right?
Now the real game-changer could be if i keep my platinum card and then get the cobalt MR into my normal account but i need to see how much I spend on the 5x and 2x points categories.
Old Sep 26, 17, 11:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Skymiles, Alaska MP, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Amex MR
Originally Posted by BenSenise View Post
When you use these fixed-points type of rewards, do the points pay for the entire cost or just the actual air-fare and then you have to pay taxes and charges etc.?
i logged into my platinum account and i can see that i can book fixed points awards there but there is the fees co-pay as well which really lowers the value.
Also, I think i can assume that these fixed-points awards are not subject to the capacity controls of aeroplan, avios, et al, right?
Now the real game-changer could be if i keep my platinum card and then get the cobalt MR into my normal account but i need to see how much I spend on the 5x and 2x points categories.
I really want to figure this out. Currently with Gold/Platinum in my wallet, I'd love to have this replace my Gold, as it gets the same travel bonuses, but that 5x on dining/groceries is huge! Very curious to hear what happens with the merging of multiple cards on one MR profile, as I've never heard of these separate MR tiers before.
Old Sep 26, 17, 12:20 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by davesmunroe View Post
I really want to figure this out. Currently with Gold/Platinum in my wallet, I'd love to have this replace my Gold, as it gets the same travel bonuses, but that 5x on dining/groceries is huge! Very curious to hear what happens with the merging of multiple cards on one MR profile, as I've never heard of these separate MR tiers before.
Platinum Card's Membership Rewards Tier is called "Membership Rewards First" Tier

Gold card's Membership Reward is just normal called "Membership Rewards"

The Platinum's MR First Tier didn't exist until Aeroplan AMEX came about. Before it was 1.5 MR points/$1 spent for Platinum AMEX and gold/Platinum share the same Membership Reward Tier. To make Aeroplan AMEX compete, they created Platinum MR First Tier and reduced earnings to 1.25pts/$1 spent. Outside of that, the MR first and Regular MR is the same thing and I fail to notice any difference. That is why you can give Gold cards as additional card holders when you have the platinum. Gold cards points can convert to "MR First" Tier because it really the same thing.

This is different from the Membership Rewards Select Tier. Membership Rewards Select Tier is a strip down tier that was used in older cards (and this new Colbalt). You can't transfer to airlines. Be honest, very few use it for merchandise. It would be quite a cheat if AMEX allow the sneaky sneaky for Platinum Card members to have the Colbat and earn the MR First Reward Tier.

In addition, Chase have exclusive rights to Marriott VISA. We really don't know if AMEX can transfer points to the new merged Mariott/SPG program. Without the ability to transfer to the merged Mariott/SPG, you are left with Hilton.
Hyacinthe and davesmunroe like this.
Old Sep 26, 17, 12:31 pm

Programs: *G
I didn't even realize this, but the 5x includes restaurants? That's amazing.

so if you spend 500CAD/month on restaurants/groceries, for the first year, that's

10k signup
30k bonus
500*12*5=30k bonus

= 70k total

Beats the gold via SPG-transfer to FFP's for miles/spend, too. Probably worth it at least for the first year IF you spend 500/month on 5X categories anyway. (and if visa gift cards from grocery stores count towards 5X then definitely)
Old Sep 26, 17, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Anyway I don't think the card is worth keeping after 1 year if they don't offer the 2500/months as supposed previously...
Old Sep 26, 17, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
I didn't even realize this, but the 5x includes restaurants? That's amazing.

so if you spend 500CAD/month on restaurants/groceries, for the first year, that's

10k signup
30k bonus
500*12*5=30k bonus

= 70k total

Beats the gold via SPG-transfer to FFP's for miles/spend, too. Probably worth it at least for the first year IF you spend 500/month on 5X categories anyway. (and if visa gift cards from grocery stores count towards 5X then definitely)
To get the whole bonus, you need to spend 3*1000+9*500, so that's 37,500 MR for your spend if you only spend in the 5× categories, in addition to the 40,000 signup and monthly bonus. Total would come to 77.5k.

Search this Thread