Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alc
American Express Cobalt Credit Card

GCR $50 Rebate --> https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/

Detail copy from GCR link above:
  • In your first year as a new Cobalt Cardmember, you can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 30,000 points in a year.
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by 01/30/18 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend a total of $3,000 in net purchases in your first 3 months
  • Earn 5 points for every $1 spent on Card purchases at eligible restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada
  • Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases. That’s 2X the points on purchases that get you from point A to B
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else. We won’t tell you where to spend, we’ll just reward you on your Card purchases
  • Get advance access to tickets to some of the hottest concerts, shows and events through Front Of The Line® by American Express Invites® and advance screenings to blockbuster movies. Plus, more great perks.
  • American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link.
  • $10 per month of Cardmembership ($120 annually)
Print Wikipost

2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Sweet! I'm gonna be educating merchants too about the actual AMEX acceptance fees. One restaurant claimed AMEX would charge 11% when I inquired about why they won't take AMEX
I pay 3.4%.

The effective rate is about 4.5% here, when you factor in sales tax and gratuities, which you pay the fees on but does not factor into your sales.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by markandrew
I do wonder about the MR transfer partners. 5 points per $ on grocery = 2.5 SPG
I don't see how a such thing would be possible...
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I'm getting 4% on all my groceries & gas with the Scotiabank Amex now.
All spend on that card is services that pay 4%.
Amex must have done the math that most consumers will just use the card for other stuff, and they'll come out ahead anyway.

www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,4657,00.html

Last edited by jerry305; Sep 19, 2017 at 11:38 am
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:34 am

I'm excited. If those category spend bonuses are accurate...I'd say $150-$200 annual fee, and 40k sign-up bonus.

Hopefully they load up the referral bonus option on this one (or allow for referral from my biz plat).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jix
Really? I thought this would be a lower end card given there was no mention of travel benefits like lounge access or travel credit in the video. Other cards in the 300 fee range all have lounge access and priority benefits.

Also, cobalt is a pretty cheap metal no? Much lower than that of gold and platinum.
Earnings are better than the Gold card, 5/$ is unheard of here, provided the currency is valuable. I mean it has been years I did not do it for 2x, but for 5x I would consider stocking up on gift cards at supermarkets. The Visa Infinite Privileges come in at $399 and I expect lower than that but at least $250.

Maybe there will be some ancillary benefits like Uber credits as launched in US on Platinum, which would tie in with the target audience.

Anyway this is all conjecture but I definitely expect a higher price point than Gold, which will be well justified if the MR earn rates are correct and transfer to partners.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, *G
Just an update:

These are some of the particulars of the new American Express Cobalt Card -
  • 5x Points for Grocery/Food
  • 2x Points for Travel/Transit
  • 1x Points on other purchases
  • Annual Fee $120, split into 12 months payment of $10/mo
  • It is a Credit Card, not a Charge Card.
  • Reward earned is in MR with no inflation of price on redemption, but transfer of points to aeroplan/asia miles/etc is restricted
jerryhung likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by KChu
Just an update:

• Reward earned is in MR with no inflation of price on redemption, but transfer of points to aeroplan/asia miles/etc is restricted
Can you elaborate on this points transfer restriction? Capped annually or something else?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:52 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by Air Koryo
Can you elaborate on this points transfer restriction? Capped annually or something else?
Probably similar to how Citi's Thank You points work when not accumulated thru credit cards.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by KChu
Just an update:

Any info on signup bonus?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
OR similar to the American Express (USA) program called Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not transferable unless linked to the same MR account as a card which participates in full version. However, the Canadian program is structured a bit differently.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
A question remains though: We know that millenials have a shorter attention span, will they mind the (relatively) limited acceptance of AMEX and will they go through the hassle of finding/preferring businesses that take the card ?

Last edited by MasterGeek; Sep 19, 2017 at 2:43 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Air Koryo
I find this part intriguing too. I'd be much more interested in the cobalt card if you could continue point transfers to Aeroplan, but hearing "restrictions" makes me apprehensive.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Any info on signup bonus?
Unfortunately no news

Originally Posted by jix
Probably similar to how Citi's Thank You points work when not accumulated thru credit cards.
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I find this part intriguing too. I'd be much more interested in the cobalt card if you could continue point transfers to Aeroplan, but hearing "restrictions" makes me apprehensive.
Restricted as in... You are not allowed to transfer your MR to any frequent flyer programs. Hotel is still OK though.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
A question remains though: We know that millenials have a shorter attention span, will they mind the (relatively) limited acceptance of AMEX and will they go through the hassle of finding/preferring businesses that take the card ?

It would be nice to combine the Cobalt card with a regular MR-earning card in order to be able to earn 5x points from the Cobalt and convert to SPG
I believe that should still be OK because SPG is a hotel program. They are only restricting points transfer to frequent flyer programs.

Originally Posted by mia
OR similar to the American Express (USA) program called Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not transferable unless linked to the same MR account as a card which participates in full version. However, the Canadian program is structured a bit differently.
I'd be interested to see how that might play out, but as for right now, from what I know Cobalt members simply won't see the redemption available for certain point transfers (i.e. MR to ffp points).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Even transfer to hotel is still allowed, then 2.5 SPG pts for dining or grocery is still a 10/10 deal.

Btw, is there any bonuses for entertainment spend? or not looking likely

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.