Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alc
American Express Cobalt Credit Card

GCR $50 Rebate --> https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/

Detail copy from GCR link above:
  • In your first year as a new Cobalt Cardmember, you can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 30,000 points in a year.
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by 01/30/18 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend a total of $3,000 in net purchases in your first 3 months
  • Earn 5 points for every $1 spent on Card purchases at eligible restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada
  • Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases. That’s 2X the points on purchases that get you from point A to B
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else. We won’t tell you where to spend, we’ll just reward you on your Card purchases
  • Get advance access to tickets to some of the hottest concerts, shows and events through Front Of The Line® by American Express Invites® and advance screenings to blockbuster movies. Plus, more great perks.
  • American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link.
  • $10 per month of Cardmembership ($120 annually)
Print Wikipost

2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
But SPG transfers to Aeroplan 1:1.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by chx1975
But SPG transfers to Aeroplan 1:1.
True, so 20,000 SPG converting to Aeroplan would earn a 5,000 bonus, and thus becomes 25,000 Aeroplans. And again, for me, there are much easier ways to get 25,000 Aeroplan points.

However, most people would rather keep their SPG points rather than convert to Aeroplan, for better value. But if you need Aeroplans for a flight redemption, then it's an option.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Ouch! $7500 spending!

pokee, we know you love your Marriotts and you can't get enough of them, but when you compare this to the recently-deceased Chase Marriott Visa, at FYF for 50,000 points and no more than a $1 spending requirement, it's a tough pill to swallow. Ok, granted that Chase no longer offers this Marriott card anymore, but after churning that baby so many times in the past 5 years, it hard for me to switch gears to open a Cobalt card based on relative values.

And if you're not converting to Marriotts, but keeping as 20,000 SPGs, even here there's the Amex SPG cards which offer the same 20,000 welcome bonus (25,000 for a while until recently lowered back to 20,000), and with $1500 (vs $7500) spending requirement and $120 annual fee for the Personal SPG, it also makes the Cobalt look like a harder venture to accept for my churning appetite.

If you have a lot of spending in the eats and drinks categories, and the lifestyle suits you (or you really, REALLY love your Marriotts), the Cobalt will be a worthwhile card to open and spend with. Unfortunately for me, I only want to do just enough spending with my cards to get a welcome bonus and I can't be bothered with the dedicated everyday spending to earn 'regular' points. I'm not disciplined enough. So for me, I just can't seem to find room for it in my sack of cards.

JJJ
Well, that's if I keep it for the full year - I could cancel after I get the 10K sign-up bonus. I really need to see if all my regular haunts are coded as 'eats' first!

Since the Chase Marriott churn is dead, you don't get to compare it, sorry JJJ! And you already know I didn't dare churn my precious...

I'll still be churning the SPG Amex cards - the Cobalt just offers me the best bang for my buck for my everyday grocery and eats - plain and simple.

And yes, I really do love my Marriotts!
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by entropy
Data Point... ordering via Ritual (the food ordering app) doesn't count as food/food delivery.
I just joined the thread to comment on the same thing :-(. I plan to call Amex to see what their merchant code is. If UberEats is covered, I would think they should be as well.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Toronto1970
I just joined the thread to comment on the same thing :-(. I plan to call Amex to see what their merchant code is. If UberEats is covered, I would think they should be as well.
Following up on my own post above, I contacted Ritual about the issue. They got back to me that they are aware of this, and are working with Amex to get their merchant code changed to food related!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
I was just approved for the Cobalt. I currently have the Platinum and Gold charge cards. My points are all combined under Platinum.

Based on what I read, my Cobalt will maintain its own separate MR account and I cannot combine them with my 2 existing cards?

Thank you.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by JCFans
Based on what I read, my Cobalt will maintain its own separate MR account and I cannot combine them with my 2 existing cards?
Correct.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by JCFans
I was just approved for the Cobalt. I currently have the Platinum and Gold charge cards. My points are all combined under Platinum.

Thank you.
Yes, correct. In your 'Points' page in your account, there's this cool drop-down list that allows you to select between SPG, MRs, and MR Select Tier.

I gotta say - seeing the 5x points on my grocery spends and regular dine-outs (like Starbucks and McDonald's) is pretty amazing. I spend a ton of money on food for my large family, so the points accumulate really, really fast!!! This card is AMAZING for my everyday spends!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:04 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I recall SPG has a policy that goes back a decade. If you earn SPG points by only using credit card (and zero SPG stays), you are not allowed to transfer to Aeroplan through SPG. They may have changed the policy (as it never applies to me as I am a frequent guest), has anyone tried to transfer SPG to Aeroplan just by using AMEX earnings?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/3806742-post206.html
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Does anyone have ANY idea how I can get Loblaws gift cards somewhere offering 5X, without buying a Visa or Mastercard GC and paying a big fee?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by yeunganson
I recall SPG has a policy that goes back a decade. If you earn SPG points by only using credit card (and zero SPG stays), you are not allowed to transfer to Aeroplan through SPG. They may have changed the policy (as it never applies to me as I am a frequent guest), has anyone tried to transfer SPG to Aeroplan just by using AMEX earnings?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/3806742-post206.html
That may have been an issue when MBNA had the SPG card, but I don't think it's been a problem since the card moved to Amex.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
does anyone know if shoppers drug mart is a 5 x amex retailer?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Aker
Redflagdeals poster confirmed only 1X unfortunately. I was hoping that is how I could buy Loblaws gift cards.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Aker
Food only - not drugstores. So they have to be a grocery store, restaurant, or cafe. So far I've confirmed Save-on Foods, IGA, Starbucks and McDonald's!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:44 pm

Here is a full list: (source: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amer...obalt-2127692/)

Confirmed 5xMR Merchants/Vendors:

7-Eleven @Hopetindall
A&W @Hopetindall
Boston Pizza @JCYC5
Couche-Tard @theBlackCat
Dominos @fuzzydealhunter
East Side Marios @fuzzydealhunter
Foodbasics @fuzzydealhunter
Gentle Hospitality Inc. (Heritage Fish and Chips, Mississauga) @Hopetindall
Just Eat @davethegr8
Lindt & Sprungli Chocolate Store @Hopetindall
Lindt Warehouse Store @Hopetindall
Longos @Hopetindall
Low Carb Grocery Store (Markham) @Hopetindall
M&M Food Market @Hopetindall
Mac's Convenience Stores @vkizzle
McDonalds @fuzzydealhunter
Metro Groceries @theBlackCat
Mill Street Brew Pub @vkizzle
Safeway @JCYC5
Skipthedishes.com @Hopetindall
Sobeys @Hopetindall
Starbuck's/ Starbuck's Card reload @marty3d
The Big Rig @vkizzle
The Three Brewers @vkizzle
Tim Horton's Timcard (reload via app) @ashiwpershad, @theBlackCat
UberEATS @Hopetindall
Vittoria Trattoria @vkizzle
Zak's Diner @vkizzle

Confirmed 2xMR Merchants/Vendors:

Air Canada @JCYC5
Car2Go @habfan10
Esso @Hopetindall
Petro canada @fuzzydealhunter
Presto @Hopetindall
Speedpass+ app @theBlackCat
Ultramar @theBlackCat

Confirmed 1xMR Merchants/Vendors

407-ETR @Hopetindall
Amazon @fuzzydealhunter
LCBO @fuzzydealhunter
PAYTM @Hopetindall
Plastiq @Hopetindall
Shopper's Drug Mart @Hopetindall
Skipthedishes @Hopetindall (weird - Skipthedishes.com counted as 5MR, but Skipthedishes counted as 1MR; am calling AmEx) - [AmEx fixed manually]
Tim Horton's Timcard (reload via Web site) @Hopetindall
Walmart Superstore @theBlackCat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.