2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 27, 17, 2:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: alc
Wiki Link
American Express Cobalt Credit Card

GCR $50 Rebate --> https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/

Detail copy from GCR link above:
  • In your first year as a new Cobalt Cardmember, you can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 30,000 points in a year.
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by 01/30/18 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend a total of $3,000 in net purchases in your first 3 months
  • Earn 5 points for every $1 spent on Card purchases at eligible restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada
  • Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases. That’s 2X the points on purchases that get you from point A to B
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else. We won’t tell you where to spend, we’ll just reward you on your Card purchases
  • Get advance access to tickets to some of the hottest concerts, shows and events through Front Of The Line® by American Express Invites® and advance screenings to blockbuster movies. Plus, more great perks.
  • American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link.
  • $10 per month of Cardmembership ($120 annually)
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 2, 17, 3:16 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I went ahead an applied via GCR.

I did not get an instant approval. They called me the following day to tell me that I'd have to cancel one of my other Amex credit cards (SPG Biz or SPG Personal) or lower my limit on my SPG Personal in order to get a $5300 limit on my Cobalt. I chose the latter, for now, and they approved me and told me my card would arrive in 7-12 business days.
BREAK THROUGH!!

So you were allowed to open a 3rd Amex credit card?! For years the maximum in Canada has been 2, with a few anomolies here and there that allowed someone to get a 3rd CC. I wonder if this is the new maximum now?

Congrats!
Old Nov 2, 17, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I wasn't going to get this, but I host 4 dinners per year that are $10K. That's 160K MR's just for those 4 dinners. No brainer .
Old Nov 2, 17, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post
I wasn't going to get this, but I host 4 dinners per year that are $10K. That's 160K MR's just for those 4 dinners. No brainer .
And that's personal spend, not business? Seems an easy way to get a call from the RAT.
Old Nov 3, 17, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ View Post
BREAK THROUGH!!

So you were allowed to open a 3rd Amex credit card?! For years the maximum in Canada has been 2, with a few anomolies here and there that allowed someone to get a 3rd CC. I wonder if this is the new maximum now?

Congrats!
Yeah, I am surprised they even gave me this option! BUT...they lowered my SPG personal limit is $200 - so it barely even counts! I think this option was given to me because I still had a $183. outstanding balance, and the intent is that it will get cancelled, since it's pretty useless now. But still!
Old Nov 3, 17, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh View Post
Very cool! Yeah, I love the dining earn on this card! Can't wait to get mine!
Old Nov 3, 17, 11:53 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
And that's personal spend, not business? Seems an easy way to get a call from the RAT.
I have no experience with American Express Canada, but in the USA there is a high tolerance for business spending on personal cards in the core travel and dining categories. It's different if you use a personal card to finance your employer's inventory.
Old Nov 3, 17, 12:01 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I have no experience with American Express Canada, but in the USA there is a high tolerance for business spending on personal cards in the core travel and dining categories. It's different if you use a personal card to finance your employer's inventory.
Yeah, dining on personal card and reimbursement is fine.

Personal card inventory/equipment spend is a big no-no, we have specific company cards we have to use for that, at least where I work.
Old Nov 3, 17, 3:24 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
What is the RAT?

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Yeah, dining on personal card and reimbursement is fine.

Personal card inventory/equipment spend is a big no-no, we have specific company cards we have to use for that, at least where I work.
That is possibly just your company related, not Amex related. I use a personal card for business expenses for everything I can.
Old Nov 3, 17, 3:46 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
2 MR tiers:

Membership Rewards : for Charge cards (Gold, Platinum,...)

MR Select: for Credit cards (Cobalt, ...)

You cannot transfer points from "Select" to Aeroplan, as I recall this was set up years ago when Aeroplan picked up CIBC as exclusive Credit Card issuer.

Therefore you cannot merge the 2 MR accounts like you would with Gold and Biz Gold.
Old Nov 3, 17, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Since I own the company, I set the rules
canolakid likes this.
Old Nov 3, 17, 5:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Black, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, Mlife Pearl
Originally Posted by drwilliams View Post
What is the RAT?
Rewards Abuse Team

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/a...onditions.html
Old Nov 5, 17, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller View Post
I have no idea why someone would suggest me spending $10K for a dinner four times a year is Rewards Abuse?

This is exactly what this card offers. 5x on dining.
Old Nov 8, 17, 10:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Skymiles, Alaska MP, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Amex MR
Yes - Safeway codes as 5x on the card. I shop there every week.
pokee likes this.
Old Nov 8, 17, 2:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
So let me recap if I get this right: If I am spending $500 on eating out and delivery every month aka 6000 CAD a year then I am getting 20000 Aeroplan miles out of that? And I need to spend 120 CAD for that? And GCR returns 50 CAD to boot? 70 CAD buys me 20 000 Aeroplan miles? That's... a brutal deal? What am I missing...? just eat accepts amex just fine, and foodora too per their twitter. I mean, Aeroplan isn't worth that much any more but 0.35 cents is pretty nice...

Last edited by chx1975; Nov 8, 17 at 3:02 pm
Old Nov 8, 17, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975 View Post
So let me recap if I get this right: If I am spending $500 on eating out and delivery every month aka 6000 CAD a year then I am getting 20000 Aeroplan miles out of that? And I need to spend 120 CAD for that? And GCR returns 50 CAD to boot? 70 CAD buys me 20 000 Aeroplan miles? That's... a brutal deal? What am I missing...? just eat accepts amex just fine, and foodora too per their twitter. I mean, Aeroplan isn't worth that much any more but 0.35 cents is pretty nice...
Not Aeroplan Miles - Amex MR (that can only be transferred to hotel points).

So $500 a month eating out = 2500 MRs x 12 = 30,000 MRs (I plan to transfer these to SPG x 0.5 = 15,000 SPGs - and then transfer to Marriott x 3 = 45,000 Marriott Rewards).

You can also earn a 10K bonus if you spend $3000 in 3 months - which is an extra 15,000 Marriot Rewards for me.

That's a $7,500 annual spend + $70 cash for 60,000 Marriott Rewards. I like that deal A LOT.

Not sure if I'll keep the card beyond one year....time will tell...

Search this Thread