Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alc
American Express Cobalt Credit Card

GCR $50 Rebate --> https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/

Detail copy from GCR link above:
  • In your first year as a new Cobalt Cardmember, you can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 30,000 points in a year.
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by 01/30/18 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend a total of $3,000 in net purchases in your first 3 months
  • Earn 5 points for every $1 spent on Card purchases at eligible restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada
  • Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases. That’s 2X the points on purchases that get you from point A to B
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else. We won’t tell you where to spend, we’ll just reward you on your Card purchases
  • Get advance access to tickets to some of the hottest concerts, shows and events through Front Of The Line® by American Express Invites® and advance screenings to blockbuster movies. Plus, more great perks.
  • American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link.
  • $10 per month of Cardmembership ($120 annually)
Print Wikipost

2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
just noticed that ALL Uber rides are being coded as 5x, not just UberEat.

Does anyone else have "favorable" coding merchants to share that qualifies as 5x
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by nli007
just noticed that ALL Uber rides are being coded as 5x, not just UberEat.

Does anyone else have "favorable" coding merchants to share that qualifies as 5x
I would LOVE a list of 5x merchants, that'd be a huge help for deciding if I go for this card lol.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:55 am

Might also be worth pointing out that the MR accumulated through this card when it comes to travel are only redeemable for Amex Fixed Mile redemptions and only redeemable for round trips, no one ways or multi city routes
Hyacinthe likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by yosemite1
Might also be worth pointing out that the MR accumulated through this card when it comes to travel are only redeemable for Amex Fixed Mile redemptions and only redeemable for round trips, no one ways or multi city routes
This card is sounding less enticing by the day. Maybe as a FYF, but $120?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by heraclitus
This card is sounding less enticing by the day. Maybe as a FYF, but $120?
Agreed.
My Scotiabank Amex at 4% on dining out is good enough for me.

If I had some way to MS on Amex (good luck with that), this would be worth it.
If I had some regular bills that I could charge to Amex that would equate to just over $500 per month (some people do, but I don't), this would be worth it.
And I'd need a scorekeeping regimen to make sure I get my points each month.
So it would take some effort (for me) to get this card to work.

But, I'm glad that Amex has put out a 5% card, and I'm glad it works for some people.
heraclitus likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Westjet Gold, Skymiles, Alaska MP, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Amex MR
Originally Posted by zwkchong
Yes, that seems to be the case but for those of us with a mix of Gold and Plat cards, there were automatically merged once we added the new cards to our accounts. If it works the way AE intended, it sounds like the Cobalt would retain its own MR account and we would have to select it as per the dropdown in my previous post.
I can confirm from my own experience (I got the Cobalt) that it creates totally separate MR accounts. I was hoping to be able to mix my MR First (Gold/Plat) and MR Select (Cobalt) on fixed travel program redemptions, but that doesn't seem possible, as they're completely separate.

Originally Posted by BenSenise
does it look as nice in real life as it does in the photos?
Yes, it's got a nice matte finish to it - very sexy. I've received quite a few compliments on it so far.
Originally Posted by alc
can you comment if this card also part of the Refer-a-Friend offer? If so, is it the same as public offer?
Currently, there does not appear to be a referral offer on this card, which surprises me, given they're trying to be so millenial and social media savvy about it.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
With MR -> SPG -> FFP you will be earning 3.125x on grocery/restaurant spend, so it's still very worth it.

MR -> SPG is 0.5 (so, 2.5X), and SPG when you transfer at least 20k, adds another 5k/25%, so 2.5X*1.25= 3.125

You'll earn more FFP (and have more partners to transfer to) than Gold/Plat on grocery/restaurant spend still.
The risk being taken is that SPG and Amex are no more, which takes away this potentially awesome redemption path. If you can spend/accumulate quickly, it might be worthwhile, but with the full signup bonus being a 12 month spread, and the future of SPG in the air, it might not work as hoped.

Last edited by mia; Oct 13, 2017 at 2:32 pm Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott TE, AC75K
I just signed up for this card and am looking forward to all the 5x rewards!

For those of you that will have lots of AMEX MR points to convert to AP (or any other major airline) via SPG should also look into converting MR -> SPG -> Marriott and then purchasing a Marriott Travel Package:

For 270k Marriott Points (=90k SPG or 180k AMEX MR) you get a 7 night Cert at a Marriott CAT 1-5 hotel + 120k AP miles + any other AP conversion promo in effect (recently a 35% bonus).

Marriott Travel Packages

Just thought I'd mention since the primary method of converting to AP via the AMEX Cobalt looks to be via SPG/Marriott.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Ticketmaster promo:
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...ketmaster.html

"... get a $100 statement credit the first time you use the Card to make a purchase of $100 or more on Ticketmaster*."

And the 30,000 point + 10,000 point offer is still in effect.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by jerry305

Ticketmaster promo:
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...ketmaster.html

"... get a $100 statement credit the first time you use the Card to make a purchase of $100 or more on Ticketmaster*."

And the 30,000 point + 10,000 point offer is still in effect.
So, I just need to buy tickets for a show that I know will sell out then resell the tickets
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Data Point... ordering via Ritual (the food ordering app) doesn't count as food/food delivery.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:46 am
alc

Originally Posted by entropy
Data Point... ordering via Ritual (the food ordering app) doesn't count as food/food delivery.
Similar issue with Just-Eat not show up as Restaurant for the Canadian Marriott Visa.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:00 pm

FYI - RAF is now active on this card from Gold -> Cobalt
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by yosemite1
FYI - RAF is now active on this card from Gold -> Cobalt
From Gold Business or Personal? I'm assuming Business since the gold was essentially removed from RAF...

I checked with my Business Plat and BusinessPlat-> Cobalt is not possible.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
From Gold Business or Personal? I'm assuming Business since the gold was essentially removed from RAF...

I checked with my Business Plat and BusinessPlat-> Cobalt is not possible.
You can refer from the personal gold to cobalt for a 5K referral bonus.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:01 pm

so I can't switch SPG/Gold to Cobalt card, right?

Anyone know if Safeway is eligible for 5X?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.