Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alc
American Express Cobalt Credit Card

GCR $50 Rebate --> https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/

Detail copy from GCR link above:
  • In your first year as a new Cobalt Cardmember, you can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in net purchases on your Card. This could add up to 30,000 points in a year.
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by 01/30/18 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend a total of $3,000 in net purchases in your first 3 months
  • Earn 5 points for every $1 spent on Card purchases at eligible restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada
  • Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases. That’s 2X the points on purchases that get you from point A to B
  • Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else. We won’t tell you where to spend, we’ll just reward you on your Card purchases
  • Get advance access to tickets to some of the hottest concerts, shows and events through Front Of The Line® by American Express Invites® and advance screenings to blockbuster movies. Plus, more great perks.
  • American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details, current product information and Terms and Conditions, click the Apply now link.
  • $10 per month of Cardmembership ($120 annually)
Print Wikipost

2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco
Not going to happen. Amex Canada is very clear on that, and in my experience as a cardmember for 18 years now, they mean it.

You'll notice that the only category that they do not specifically say "in Canada" is the travel bookings. So you'll get 2 MR points per C$1 for your airplane tickets and hotel, just like the Gold Rewards card; but *not* for the Uber ride you'll take from the airport to the hotel. Nor will you get the 5 points per dollar for any restaurant spend when you are on that trip.

And this is my #1 annoyance with Amex Canada. For being a company that markets itself and its products heavily as being for world travellers, they make truly terrible cards to actually use when travelling abroad.

So I'll use my Gold Card to book my flights and hotels and get the 2/1 bonus, and I'll use my Platinum Card to access the lounges and use the concierge for special reservations along the way... but when it comes to actually paying for things? Amex is at the bottom of my list thanks to the 2.5% Forex fee and the restrictions on bonus points to only being earned IN CANADA.
AMEX USA does it the same way. For the Hilton Card, it's 6x points on US Restaurants, US Gas Stations, and US Supermarkets.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by yerffej201
AMEX USA does it the same way. For the Hilton Card, it's 6x points on US Restaurants, US Gas Stations, and US Supermarkets.
That's a weird practice. AMEX charges merchants 0.40% on top of the regular acceptance fee when they process a payment of a foreign issued card.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
That's a weird practice. AMEX charges merchants 0.40% on top of the regular acceptance fee when they process a payment of a foreign issued card.
That varies by country, for example in the UK, there is no extra fee at all for merchants. I guess their issue is that in many countries their discount rate is much lower than in Canada.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
If gift cards purchases in grocery stores count, then I can spend $2000 to $3000/month for 5x easily, since there are tons of gift cards in superstore and safeway.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by Cana2013
If gift cards purchases in grocery stores count, then I can spend $2000 to $3000/month for 5x easily, since there are tons of gift cards in superstore and safeway.
Last I checked, Loblaws (Superstore), doesn't take Amex.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by teriyaki
Last I checked, Loblaws (Superstore), doesn't take Amex.
No they don't, but Sobeys does and they also sell lots of gift cards.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I was approved for 15k limit, I got a AU card too, its nice that that one is free too. Since we spend a lot at restos, I expect this will more than make up for the additional AF.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
I normally spend on a Gold/Plat card and transfer my MR to FFP.

With the cobalt not being able to do that:

• Is it worth getting this card?
• Are MR flight redemptions worth it? I would normally do a mini-RTW with my points via Aeroplan
• I don't normally transfer points to SPG. (can I do MR > SPG > FFP?)
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by yosemite1
I normally spend on a Gold/Plat card and transfer my MR to FFP.

With the cobalt not being able to do that:

• Is it worth getting this card?
• Are MR flight redemptions worth it? I would normally do a mini-RTW with my points via Aeroplan
• I don't normally transfer points to SPG. (can I do MR > SPG > FFP?)
With MR -> SPG -> FFP you will be earning 3.125x on grocery/restaurant spend, so it's still very worth it.

MR -> SPG is 0.5 (so, 2.5X), and SPG when you transfer at least 20k, adds another 5k/25%, so 2.5X*1.25= 3.125

You'll earn more FFP (and have more partners to transfer to) than Gold/Plat on grocery/restaurant spend still.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Smiley90
With MR -> SPG -> FFP you will be earning 3.125x on grocery/restaurant spend, so it's still very worth it.

MR -> SPG is 0.5 (so, 2.5X), and SPG when you transfer at least 20k, adds another 5k/25%, so 2.5X*1.25= 3.125

You'll earn more FFP (and have more partners to transfer to) than Gold/Plat on grocery/restaurant spend still.
Sure but for things like gas, then

Amex Gold: $1 = 2MR points -> Aeroplan = 2 AP miles
Cobalt: $1= 2 MR points -> 1SPG point -> 1.25 AP miles (in 20k transfer increments)

For those that don't spend a lot on groceries/eating out then the Gold card is still a better value proposition.

AMEX fraud department called me because they said my profile didn't fit what a typical Cobalt application person sits in demographics wise. Ageism at its finest given I'm a member of the older age group.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:32 pm

Does anyone know how the MR account will be set up if I have an existing Gold card already? It sounds like it'd be a separate MR account but is it possible to have two MR accounts with one online login?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90

This is amazing, exactly what I wanted to know - thank you!

...., actually, is the FFP for SPG>FFP only Delta? No AC?

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Sure but for things like gas, then

Amex Gold: $1 = 2MR points -> Aeroplan = 2 AP miles
Cobalt: $1= 2 MR points -> 1SPG point -> 1.25 AP miles (in 20k transfer increments)

For those that don't spend a lot on groceries/eating out then the Gold card is still a better value proposition.

AMEX fraud department called me because they said my profile didn't fit what a typical Cobalt application person sits in demographics wise. Ageism at its finest given I'm a member of the older age group.
This is really good to know, I need to evaluate my spending and see if I'll hit $500/mo on groceries/restaurants then!

Also... sorry to hear about the ageism thats no fun

Originally Posted by zwkchong
Does anyone know how the MR account will be set up if I have an existing Gold card already? It sounds like it'd be a separate MR account but is it possible to have two MR accounts with one online login?

+1 on this question, is there a visual representation for the two "tiers" of MR?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...is the FFP for SPG>FFP only Delta? No AC?

... is there a visual representation for the two "tiers" of MR?
Starwood has about 30 airline transfer partners. See here:

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ansferAirMiles

FREQUENT FLYER PROGRAM EXCHANGE RATIO (STARPOINTS:MILES)
Aegean Airlines 1:1
Aeromexico Club Premier 1:1
Aeroplan/Air Canada 1:1
Air China Companion 1:1
Air New Zealand Airpoints 65:1
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan 1:1
Alitalia MileMiglia 1:1
All Nippon Airways (ANA) Mileage Club 1:1
American Airlines AAdvantage 1:1
Asia Miles 1:1
Asiana Airlines 1:1
British Airways Executive Club 1:1
China Eastern Airlines 1:1
Delta Air Lines SkyMiles 1:1
Emirates Skywards 1:1
Etihad Airways 1:1
Flying Blue 1:1
Gol Smiles 2:1
Hainan Airlines 1:1
Hawaiian Airlines 1:1
Iberia Plus 1:1
Japan Airlines (JAL) Mileage Bank 1:1
Jet Airways 1:1
Korean Air 1:1
LATAM Airlines LATAM Pass 1:1.5
LifeMiles® of Avianca 1:1
Miles and More 1:1
Qatar Airways 1:1
Saudi Arabian Airlines 1:1
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer 1:1
Thai Airways International Royal Orchid Plus 1:1
United Mileage Plus 2:1
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club 1:1
Virgin Australia 1:1

See the PDF file attached to THIS post for a chart explaining Membership Rewards Tiers.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by mia
Starwood has about 30 airline transfer partners. See here:

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ansferAirMiles

See the PDF file attached to THIS post for a chart explaining Membership Rewards Tiers.

MIA! Thanks for the info as always! I actually found that I can transfer @ 1:1 from SPG:AP, so I just got to do some math and figure out if $1:2.5pts is better than the plat/gold cards.

With regards to the chart or a visual representation, I meant online on your account. How would someone know which points are FFP transferable vs others?

IE: I have 200k MR points accrued on my platinum card, and I got 50k points from this cobalt card, would it show up as two separate set of points or would it show up as 250k points, if its 250k points how would I know the difference between the two sets of points? (sorry if that isn't very clear!!)
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...How would someone know which points are FFP transferable vs others?
I do not have a Canadian account, but my understanding is that by default each card has its own Membership Rewards account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.