Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Delta Gold Skymiles credit card, any reason to keep it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum

I need to trim my collection of credit cards. Closing my Delta Gold Skymiles American Express card, might also free up some space for a new signup bonus on a different card, with Amex. I'll keep my SPG card so I can always earn some additional miles through spend , if I need to. Not sure I'd be giving up much.

I have no Delta Status. Does having the card make any extra award availability show up online? I seem to recall , years ago, that some extra award availability showed up, when I had the Delta Platinum. Or maybe that was because I had Status.

If it doesn't increase my chances of booking a nice international premium seat, I probably don't need to keep it.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
The DL Card doesn't change award availability (that's the UA card that does it)

I never saw the big draw of the Gold card beyond the sign up bonus, the platinum has a $200 AF and gives you a free round trip companion certificate along with the free checked bags.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I believe Gold gives reduced cost admission to Skyclubs?
beachmiles likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:41 pm

I keep mine for the free checked bag & priority boarding. It pretty much offsets my annual fee for the few times I fly Delta. It was a nice perk to get discounted access to SkyClub ($29) because I had a few 3+ hour layovers, but I don't need it anymore with my AmEx Plat.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: Delta, IHG
If you fly more than twice a year with Delta, and do checked bags, then I would say keep it. The priority boarding is nice too if you have no status and don't buy a C+ or FC ticket. It's definitely one of those cards you keep for the benefits and not the rewards.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Gone

Mostly fly AA, SW and jet blue. Some international Delta One on points, but that gets me bags and lounge, for those trips.

Will close next week when I pay it off.

Also read I can reallocate the credit line to one of my other Amex cards.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/how-t...rican-express/
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Also read I can reallocate the credit line to one of my other Amex cards.
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...le-2011-a.html
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
I just cancelled mine earlier this year. I never check a bag and If I really want priority boarding I'll just book a C+ ticket. I'd definitely suggest moving some of your credit line to another card so you minimize the decrease in your credit score.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Bump on this thread - any value in a non-reserve DL Amex if I already have DM status (free checked bags) and don't spend on my DL Amex? Specifically is there any benefit to upgrade order or better award availability. Officially UG order is only affected by DL Reserve and no changes in award availability, but it's also been proven on FT that award availability in the past actually mattered more if you had an Amex vs actual elite status.

Curious to know if any folks think/know of differences in these two perks still for cardholders vs not...
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Noctilum
If you fly more than twice a year with Delta, and do checked bags, then I would say keep it. The priority boarding is nice too if you have no status and don't buy a C+ or FC ticket. It's definitely one of those cards you keep for the benefits and not the rewards.
Reviving this thread to ask whether the priority check-in, boarding and free bag are a benefit for having the gold card linked in itself, or must the ticket be purchased with the card? I usually use my Platinum card for the 5x MR points.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:56 am

If cancel the card when first fee hits will AMX CLAW BACK SIGN UP MILES ?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Reviving this thread to ask whether the priority check-in, boarding and free bag are a benefit for having the gold card linked in itself, or must the ticket be purchased with the card? I usually use my Platinum card for the 5x MR points.
Just linked to your account. Delta doesn't care how/who/what pays for your ticket.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Just having the card gets you those benefits.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:02 am

I would cancel it and get a Delta Platinum card. I keep my Delta Platinum card because of the free annual companion certificate. If I ever decide to dump my Amex Express Platinum card, I will get a Delta Reserve card to get access to Sky Club plus free annual certificate.

Of course, I live in Delta country and it is my go-to airline. If you rarely fly with them, there is no point to keep their credit cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.