FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Delta Gold Skymiles credit card, any reason to keep it (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1864011-delta-gold-skymiles-credit-card-any-reason-keep.html)

beachmiles Aug 29, 2017 2:10 pm

Delta Gold Skymiles credit card, any reason to keep it

I need to trim my collection of credit cards. Closing my Delta Gold Skymiles American Express card, might also free up some space for a new signup bonus on a different card, with Amex. I'll keep my SPG card so I can always earn some additional miles through spend , if I need to. Not sure I'd be giving up much.

I have no Delta Status. Does having the card make any extra award availability show up online? I seem to recall , years ago, that some extra award availability showed up, when I had the Delta Platinum. Or maybe that was because I had Status.

If it doesn't increase my chances of booking a nice international premium seat, I probably don't need to keep it.

hi55us Aug 29, 2017 3:11 pm

The DL Card doesn't change award availability (that's the UA card that does it)

I never saw the big draw of the Gold card beyond the sign up bonus, the platinum has a $200 AF and gives you a free round trip companion certificate along with the free checked bags.

mia Aug 29, 2017 4:45 pm

I believe Gold gives reduced cost admission to Skyclubs?

TJMAC Aug 29, 2017 5:41 pm

I keep mine for the free checked bag & priority boarding. It pretty much offsets my annual fee for the few times I fly Delta. It was a nice perk to get discounted access to SkyClub ($29) because I had a few 3+ hour layovers, but I don't need it anymore with my AmEx Plat.

Noctilum Aug 29, 2017 10:26 pm

If you fly more than twice a year with Delta, and do checked bags, then I would say keep it. The priority boarding is nice too if you have no status and don't buy a C+ or FC ticket. It's definitely one of those cards you keep for the benefits and not the rewards.

beachmiles Aug 30, 2017 10:47 am

Gone

Mostly fly AA, SW and jet blue. Some international Delta One on points, but that gets me bags and lounge, for those trips.

Will close next week when I pay it off.

Also read I can reallocate the credit line to one of my other Amex cards.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/how-t...rican-express/

mia Aug 30, 2017 11:39 am

Originally Posted by beachmiles (Post 28755988)
Also read I can reallocate the credit line to one of my other Amex cards.

Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...le-2011-a.html

PassengerPoldberg Aug 30, 2017 12:12 pm

I just cancelled mine earlier this year. I never check a bag and If I really want priority boarding I'll just book a C+ ticket. I'd definitely suggest moving some of your credit line to another card so you minimize the decrease in your credit score.

mnredfox Jul 2, 2018 11:44 pm

Bump on this thread - any value in a non-reserve DL Amex if I already have DM status (free checked bags) and don't spend on my DL Amex? Specifically is there any benefit to upgrade order or better award availability. Officially UG order is only affected by DL Reserve and no changes in award availability, but it's also been proven on FT that award availability in the past actually mattered more if you had an Amex vs actual elite status.

Curious to know if any folks think/know of differences in these two perks still for cardholders vs not...

Points Scrounger Apr 6, 2019 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Noctilum (Post 28753748)
If you fly more than twice a year with Delta, and do checked bags, then I would say keep it. The priority boarding is nice too if you have no status and don't buy a C+ or FC ticket. It's definitely one of those cards you keep for the benefits and not the rewards.

Reviving this thread to ask whether the priority check-in, boarding and free bag are a benefit for having the gold card linked in itself, or must the ticket be purchased with the card? I usually use my Platinum card for the 5x MR points.

SPLP007 Apr 7, 2019 3:56 am

If cancel the card when first fee hits will AMX CLAW BACK SIGN UP MILES ?

krazykanuck Apr 7, 2019 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 30971910)
Reviving this thread to ask whether the priority check-in, boarding and free bag are a benefit for having the gold card linked in itself, or must the ticket be purchased with the card? I usually use my Platinum card for the 5x MR points.

Just linked to your account. Delta doesn't care how/who/what pays for your ticket.

pallhedge Apr 7, 2019 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 30971910)

Just having the card gets you those benefits.

zxrst Apr 8, 2019 6:02 am

I would cancel it and get a Delta Platinum card. I keep my Delta Platinum card because of the free annual companion certificate. If I ever decide to dump my Amex Express Platinum card, I will get a Delta Reserve card to get access to Sky Club plus free annual certificate.

Of course, I live in Delta country and it is my go-to airline. If you rarely fly with them, there is no point to keep their credit cards.