Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

5000 MR for adding authorized user - Plat (USA) question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

I have an offer to get 5000 MRs for each authorized user if they spend $500. My question is, does anyone know if I can get this by adding a Gold card authorized user, instead of the $175/yr platinum card AU?

And, being an AU doesn't prevent earning a signup bonus in the future, right?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

How did you receive the offer? Is it specific to a card? Does it show the last 4 digits of the account?

I recently got the same offer for my gold card and took advantage of it.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
worked for me. Added 4 gold AUs to my plat account and collected 20K MR. points posted 1-2 days after min spend
penner42 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How did you receive the offer? Is it specific to a card? Does it show the last 4 digits of the account?

I recently got the same offer for my gold card and took advantage of it.
It is listed under my Amex Offers when I go to my Platinum card page; it has a button to "Add an authorized user" but I didn't know if it was going to give an option for Gold or Platinum

Originally Posted by tonykline1947
worked for me. Added 4 gold AUs to my plat account and collected 20K MR. points posted 1-2 days after min spend
Thanks for the confirmation!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
It is listed under my Amex Offers when I go to my Platinum card page; it has a button to "Add an authorized user" but I didn't know if it was going to give an option for Gold or Platinum
If you click through the next screen gives you a choice about whether to add Gold or Platinum. I intend on taking advantage of the Gold option myself
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by tonykline1947
Did you have to put $500 on each card or were you able to get away with putting all the spend on a single card? I'm also wondering if you really have to activate all of them or just one.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
all 4, $500+ spend per card
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
I added user to Plt before offer opened - hadn't yet used card and asked if they'd match the points for spend - not only told no, but chastised and forewarned that if i were to attempt to cancel and reapply they would audit or close all my accounts after 25+ years. (No, I did not suggest that this was an intention.)

Was a bit horrified, actually.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:56 pm

wow, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

So it appears you simply have to add new AU gold cards to your Platinum account. I already have a PRG card with an AU, and you cannot simply just add your existing gold's to the Platinum

Last edited by mdosu; Aug 26, 2017 at 9:05 am
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Added 4 gold users to my plat, met the spend, only to find out it somehow didn't get linked.. What's funny is the first rep was able to see the offer attached while the MR rep could not. Was told to wait 8-12 weeks to see if it will post..

The only reason I called was a family member had the same offer and the bonus points posted in 1-2 days like the previous poster mentioned.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:16 am

Added my parents (2) but they haven't activated the cards yet. Their names are already listed under my account. Just need 2 more AUs for the maximum 20,000 MR pts.

Just read the email again and the deadline to add AUs for this offer was 08/30/2017. Oh well. 10,000 bonus MRs still better than 0 MRs.

Last edited by radiolarian; Sep 8, 2017 at 1:23 am
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by frudd38
Added 4 gold users to my plat, met the spend, only to find out it somehow didn't get linked.. What's funny is the first rep was able to see the offer attached while the MR rep could not. Was told to wait 8-12 weeks to see if it will post..

The only reason I called was a family member had the same offer and the bonus points posted in 1-2 days like the previous poster mentioned.
To update: all 4 met the spend, but only the 3rd card bonus have posted so far. It's been over a month for the first 2 that met the spend. 3rd card bonus posted 1-2 days after meeting the spend and the 4th card has been about a week.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
To update: all 4 met the spend, but only the 3rd card bonus have posted so far. It's been over a month for the first 2 that met the spend. 3rd card bonus posted 1-2 days after meeting the spend and the 4th card has been about a week.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Yes, I only got 1 auth user's bonus, not the other 3. Seems pretty common.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Yes, I only got 1 auth user's bonus, not the other 3. Seems pretty common.
The same here. Did you collect bonuses for the rest of AUs?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Hhonors Diamond
Just registered 4 family members as users today. It said SSN was optional, but cards will be canceled after 60 days if no SSN is provided. If I'm able to meet min spend on each card before 60 days, will I still be awarded the bonus points? I know sometimes authorized user accounts will count toward 5/24 (for Chase), so would rather not provide SSN if optional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.