What's your pick?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Some discussion of Octave here, circa 2015:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ch-octave.html
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

So it looks like Octave might be the winner?

1) lower annual fee: $950 annually vs. $7,500 initiation + $2,500 annually
2) earns more points: 2.5x everywhere vs. 1x everywhere

They both offer various hotel, airline, car loyalty programs. Not sure I really have a preference.

Has anyone had experience with both the Octave and Centurion concierges? I would be curious whether the Centurion concierge is any better.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:54 pm
mia

Originally Posted by fly6789
... more points: 2.5x everywhere vs. 1x everywhere...
The number of points alone doesn't tell us anything about value. What is their redemption value? Who are their airline or hotel transfer partners?

Bank of America seems to offer a similar rewards program on a $95/year card, with a $100,000 banking relationship here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post28667078

Last edited by mia; Aug 10, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
I firmly believe the NO ONE holds the Amex Centurion "for the benefits" or points or redemption etc.
It is 100% a status symbol. The people who qualify for it are already wealthy. They are fronting $7,500 just to hold the card for the first year. They are not worried about how many points they are earning or what value they can trade them in for.
They want to know that not many people have it and that it draws great attention when they pull it out.
Nothing wrong with that, if they can afford it and it floats their boat but lets just call it like it is
Corsair66 and dulcamara like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:03 pm

Octave....you should probably also calculate on the back end the 2.5% management and funds fees you're paying on your managed investments and whether you're beating comps or the market.

No thanks, I'll do my passive investing for now, at least in this market environment.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I firmly believe the NO ONE holds the Amex Centurion "for the benefits" or points or redemption etc.
It is 100% a status symbol. The people who qualify for it are already wealthy. They are fronting $7,500 just to hold the card for the first year. They are not worried about how many points they are earning or what value they can trade them in for.
They want to know that not many people have it and that it draws great attention when they pull it out.
Nothing wrong with that, if they can afford it and it floats their boat but lets just call it like it is
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have the Cent card for the benefits, not the status. However, it has been a tougher decision lately since the benefits keep getting reduced and nothing significant has been added.

Not everyone who has a Cent card is bathing in tubs full of Cristal or blowing their nose with hundred dollar bills. In fact, most of the time I try to AVOID actually using the Cent card because I would prefer that people don't see it.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
On Adam Carolla's podcast a couple of weeks ago, he and a guest were complaining because both of them had the AMEX Centurion and felt it was basically worthless. Carolla was upset that he couldn't gain admittance into the Delta SkyClub using his Centurion card - which made me chuckle since I have access to it using my lowly AMEX Platinum card.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:03 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
... Carolla was upset that he couldn't gain admittance into the Delta SkyClub using his Centurion card - which made me chuckle since I have access to it using my lowly AMEX Platinum card.
Centurion has the same SkyClub access as Platinum. Perhaps he wasn't flying Delta?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Well I'm not in that bucket so I also have to disagree. I have it for the benefits and I use them extensively as well as the points. I know several others who do too. When I was younger sure there was excitement to get it and the status aspect, but in reality no one cares these days, so if you want it for "status" then there are limited places where that is relevant or recognised, and I stopped going to those places many years ago.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Idk what 2.5% fee you're talking about with ML/BofA. It's free. You just store money with them and use Merrill Edge, etc. There's no fee. They pamper you and will of course offer you other products and services (like the Octave).

I think I'm just going to ask ML to compare Octave and Centurion. I've heard that your banking team can often get you a Centurion invitation, so I'm sure they'll be familiar with both.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

@YClass - what are the top benefits of the Centurion? What do you use most?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:29 pm
mia

@YClass - what are the top benefits of the Centurion...
Note that the features of a UK Centurion card would differ from a USA Centurion card. We have many threads discussing Centurion benefits:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ry-2015-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-benefit.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...um-status.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tes-gifts.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-holders.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ts-2017-a.html
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:07 pm

Idk what 2.5% fee you're talking about with ML/BofA. It's free. You just store money with them and use Merrill Edge, etc. There's no fee. They pamper you and will of course offer you other products and services (like the Octave).

I think I'm just going to ask ML to compare Octave and Centurion. I've heard that your banking team can often get you a Centurion invitation, so I'm sure they'll be familiar with both.
I assumed there's a management fee with BAML. Are you parking just cash there? What's the minimum investable balance these days?

My point is, most people won't just park cash just to receive Octave. So they invest and rack up management and transaction fees. Gross fees tend to be around 2.5%, but are you beating the market or even comps?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have the Cent card for the benefits, not the status. However, it has been a tougher decision lately since the benefits keep getting reduced and nothing significant has been added.

Not everyone who has a Cent card is bathing in tubs full of Cristal or blowing their nose with hundred dollar bills. In fact, most of the time I try to AVOID actually using the Cent card because I would prefer that people don't see it.
Yeah, but is your nose blowing anything THRU hundred dollar bills? Lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.