Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:17 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by eigenvector
+1

Many of the complaints in this thread seem US-specific. The US has always been in a category of its own for lounges with carriers denying even their own elites and front cabin passengers domestically because they'd be overwhelmed. A lot of major US airports are also built in a way that would require 5+ lounges to properly serve (thinking LAX, ORD, EWR, LGA - all very weak points for PP). They just can't keep up with the demand for lounges and it's always becoming cheaper and easier to get access through credit cards.

I still find PP to have a lot of value when travelling internationally, with decent lounges in some pretty far-flung places like Rangoon, Puerto Montt, and Siem Reap. But I'm not sure PP's business model can support, say, spending tens of millions of dollars to build nice, new 3rd party lounges at LAX now that the carriers have taken their ball and gone home.
Completely agree. It's mostly a US/NA problem - and not an AmEx/PP issue. The US airport infrastructure is outdated with too little space for too many travelers and no room to build enough lounges to meet demand. Lounges in Europe or Asia are on average much nicer than in the US, regardless of the US carrier.
I travel frequently around Asia and Europe and have never been denied or expelled at a PP lounge in approx. 30+ visits/year. There are beautiful lounges in the network, like Bali DPS, and not so great ones like Yangon, Myanmar. But in each case, they are better than sitting in the terminal... And when I travel on LCC, being able to access an (average) lounge takes the sting out of flying LCC! I got my PP through Citi Prestige and it's alone worth to me keeping the card!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MT_Switch
That doesn't sound correct, your initial hotel room availability is based on you paying and not your status? Hilton denying your free night stay and instead kicked you out or forced you to pay for it is a better example?
The main issue is many people mixed up things altogether.

While I concede that you can blame the issuers for giving this benefit, it is not the issuers' fault just because you can't use the lounges.

The reality is simple - unless at least one (AMEX, Chase, Citi) eliminates PP Select or restrict access, it will only get worse.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Exacerbating the issue is not only how many CSR cardholders there are, but Chase negotiated 2 guests for PP, which prompted Amex to do the same. Folks who previously would skip the lounge with their families to save $26 or $52, are taking advantage.

Honestly, I was fine with $26/guest fees because it's just me and the wife, but now it's causing headaches for lounges. Alaska has nearly pulled out of PP as a result and I fly through PDX and SEA visiting family. If it cost me $26 to get in versus us being turned away, that's a loss for me.

I hope Chase has mass defections and downgrades from folks who showed up for the 100k UR points and double-dip on the $300 travel credit (both of which are gone now). Defections might help things settle down. But the long lasting effect, whether or not Chase succeeds, is the change to the guest policy.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:38 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Martina70
I think the one in T3 much busier than in T1.
Probably the Centurion Lounge (in T1) being nearby.
What % of PP pax get their membership via CC affiliation? (vs direct paid membership?)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
...Chase negotiated 2 guests for PP,...
It's Citi that allows 2 guests (or entire family) without a charge. Chase doesn't charge for any number of guests. (In practice I am not aware of anyone being charged by Citi.) I don't think we have any way to know if Citi/Chase "negotiated" with Priority Pass, or if they simply absorb the guest fees which are surely much less than the $27 retail price.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by seat38a
Well I was considering both the Amex Plat and CSR but I'm guessing now that I'm better off keeping my MP Explorer and just purchase a United Club membership.
Personally, if you use the Explorer card, i think you would be better off converting to the United Club card--the AF is lower on the margin vs maintaining an explorer card and a UA Club membership, and you receive priority access for boarding, check-in and 2 pieces of checked luggage in addition to the membership.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mia
Demand for lounge visits apparently exceeds capacity. What, specifically, would you have American Express do?
They should clarify that PP access is on a space-available or other discretionary basis and the benefit is not guaranteed. I would prefer not to have the benefit at all than be always wondering whether it'll work this time. I don't need the level of uncertainty so widely reported.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
...prefer not to have the benefit at all than be always wondering whether it'll work ....
It isn't mandatory to activate the feature. (I have never requested one from Sapphire Reserve.) However, there was a sustained clamoring in this forum for this benefit, which American Express had long offered in other countries, until it was added to USA cards in 2011.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Having read through this thread just now, I see many of those who have posted generally falling into 1 of 2 camps.
  1. Those that understand that the Amex benefit is PP membership
  2. Those that have the perception that the Amex benefit is PP lounge access
They should clarify that PP access is on a space-available or other discretionary basis and the benefit is not guaranteed.
Is this not sufficient?
The cardholder accepts that the Priority Pass Group of companies has no control over the lounge operator’s decision whether to admit any cardholder, the number of people allowed in any lounge at any time, facilities offered, the opening/closing times, the length of time which cardholders may spend in the lounge and any charges payable for extended lounge visits or the personnel employed by the lounges.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Lounges are like freeways.

PP is like the Auto manufacturer.

When you buy a car there's no guarantee you can drive 65mph.

At rush hour Freeway or Peak time lounges, capacity will be impacted.

Big accident, other Freeway mishap there will be a detour or shutdown.

Peak times, Loungers may impose capacity limitations.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
They should clarify that PP access is on a space-available or other discretionary basis and the benefit is not guaranteed. I would prefer not to have the benefit at all than be always wondering whether it'll work this time. I don't need the level of uncertainty so widely reported.
That's already in the fine print.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by mia
It isn't mandatory to activate the feature. (I have never requested one from Sapphire Reserve.) However, there was a sustained clamoring in this forum for this benefit, which American Express had long offered in other countries, until it was added to USA cards in 2011.
You seem really apologetic to AMEX on this topic. Of course it's not necessary to activate this benefit, just like it's not necessary to ever earn/burn MR points or book using FHR. It is, however, like the two other benefits I mentioned, a widely advertised feature of this card that simply is not consistently usable.

I will concede that, as other posters have pointed out, this problem we are discussing is predominately seen in the US. That may be true, but the majority of AMEX card holders are US-based, so this is not a free pass to AMEX.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by mhdena

This. +1
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mhdena

If PP is like the Auto manufacturer (and AX is like the dealership), then there's a guarantee that your car will work, and if not, the manufacturer (by agreement with the dealership) will fix it. Eventually the lemon law will kick in when it cannot adequately be fixed.

I am rather surprised the defense of, for many, an illusory benefit that is sold as one of the peak benefits of this card.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by eigenvector
That's already in the fine print.
So is "Your mileage may vary" in the small print of the car ads, but if your Prius got 16 mpg, you'd feel defrauded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.