Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Not necessarily right thread, but anybody with any idea how the offers work if they say have to book/pay by a certain day, and you do a prepaid for a future date? For example, offer expires Mar 31, and I prepay/pay now for a stay in April.

Thanks
I prepaid for a stay at a Courtyard in November (for a late December stay) and the Amex offers credit posted within a few days of the prepayment. I guess it will depend on whether the hotel charges the prepayment right away or waits until closer to the stay, but it seems like the credit follows the actual charge on the card and not the stay itself.

P.S. You are right in that you would probably get more data points in the Amex sync offers thread.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

American Express RAT Cracking Down On Closures Within 12 Months (DoC)

JonNYC likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:02 am

Does this 12-month minimum also apply to upgrades? I may've known the answer at some point, but forgot. Let's say I upgrade Blue Cash Everyday to Preferred. Does it need to stay Preferred for a certain minimum period to avoid a clawback of the upgrade bonus? In this particular example the full AF will not be 12-months after the upgrade but sometime sooner.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:09 am
Suspended

Thanks for posting that, had missed it.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I have a Hilton Ascend that I am interested in downgrading to the no fee card - I have no intent to cancel it as I see the no-fee card as a long-term keeper. The annual fee just hit - it is pretty low risk to downgrade this card now, correct?
Old May 13, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I have a Hilton Ascend that I am interested in downgrading to the no fee card - I have no intent to cancel it as I see the no-fee card as a long-term keeper. The annual fee just hit - it is pretty low risk to downgrade this card now, correct?
Yes, that's exactly what we did with our Hilton cards.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
... The annual fee just hit - it is pretty low risk to downgrade this card now, correct?
Just keep in mind that AmEx will refund the prorated portion of the AF (11/12) due to the downgrade, compared to the full AF due to a closure. It's a small difference, but can be irritating if you're not expecting it.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
deleted

Last edited by fredc84; May 17, 2019 at 8:18 am
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:15 am

Clawback on non MR offers

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but does anyone know if they will claw back a welcome bonus on a Hilton card? I do know about MR but what about other programs? Delta? Hilton? Etc
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by dreadnesta
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but does anyone know if they will claw back a welcome bonus on a Hilton card? I do know about MR but what about other programs? Delta? Hilton? Etc
Might be. You might even ended up with more than -100K points balance (Hilton Aspire bonus points: 150K) if Amex really being a nut job and decided to take your points away.
Be careful, better not cancel/downgrade your cards within 12 months.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by antebellum
... if Amex really being a nut ...
Was that based on an actual experience?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Was that based on an actual experience?
I can't say anything, but based on the T&Cs outlined, it may happen.
Anyway, I don't live in the US, so no first hand experience.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dreadnesta
While we haven't heard of such a partner points clawback to date, be aware that particularly in the case of Hilton, Amex seems to have a super-tight relationship with Hilton points, in that it shows me my Hilton point total on the Amex site, and in some cases that's more up to date than what the Hitlon website shows. So if there's any partner points they could claw back, I would expect Htlton points to be the most likely, since they must have digital "tentacles" into the Hilton program to give such "early" HH points totals on the Amex website.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:55 pm

I tried to do a Amx Membership Rewards transfer to Marriott as I had an offer of +50% more Marriott points , I had not done a transfer to SPG in 5 years and never updated my SPG to the new Marriott number on AMX site.When I did the transfer I was told to update SPG to new Maarriott #, after I did that I got a denial with the following

:"This action will not be completed at this time because your account is currently being reviewed to make sure all eligible purchases meet qualifying criteria."

I have two cards that earn MR points A gold personal that I was "PRE APPROVED FOR " in April 2019 - I finished the spend and the points posted in May-- the spend ALL "none" MS as I paid a tax bill --

The second card is a business Platinum that required a 10k spend I also did "no" MS the card is 11 months old now
.I spoke to MR and they told me it will take 6 to 8 weeks and I will get a letter ( and they have no info on why ) I have had AMX cards for 48 years and this is a first for me - yes over the years have played the game as long as AMX rules allowed and only do organic spend I "always" speak to a supervisors to confirm I am eligible for bonus and have them note my account.

Any ideas - I have not read about this on FT" all eligible purchases meet qualifying criteria" and I am concerned as I WOULD THINK AMX MUST SEE SOMETHING!!!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:32 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SPLP007
.... AMX MUST SEE SOMETHING!
Any refunds or other credits issued to the Gold account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.