Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by B747forever
How can they retract the bonus miles when I have already used them for an upcoming trip? Can they really ask Delta to cancel a pay with miles ticket in order to get back their bonus miles?
It's a $95 annual fee for the card. Are you really willing to risk your entire trip for $95?

Just pay it and then cancel after your trip and ask for pro-rated refund.
JonNYC, dascc and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
It's a $95 annual fee for the card. Are you really willing to risk your entire trip for $95?

Just pay it and then cancel after your trip and ask for pro-rated refund.
What are the rules regarding getting the $95 refunded? I guess it must be done within a certain time frame from when it posts.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by B747forever
What are the rules regarding getting the $95 refunded? I guess it must be done within a certain time frame from when it posts.
American Express will refund the annual fee completely if you cancel the card within 30 days after the statement in which the annual fee hits.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:32 pm

American Express will refund the annual fee completely if you cancel the card within 30 days after the statement in which the annual fee hits.
Thanks for the reply. Might as well wait to cancel it after the trip then.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
I was told that you must cancel before the annual fee is charged, not the date of the statement. Could be very different dates we are talking about.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by thebat
I was told that you must cancel before the annual fee is charged, not the date of the statement. Could be very different dates we are talking about.
In the past you could get away with that but now Amex puts in the terms that they can claw back the bonus if you cancel within a year

Amex charges their annual fee at the 1yr mark so its best to wait for the fee to post (which means its been 1yr) then downgrade/cancel to get the fee refunded
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
This is false.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
This is false.
You are right, I misspoke. You must cancel within 30 days of the annual fee posting. But not 30 days after the statement date. For instance, if the date of the annual fee posting is April 3rd and it appears on a statement ending April 25, you must cancel within 30 days of April 3rd, not 30 days from April 25th. A good way to confirm this is to got to 'chat' online and they will tell you your dates and options.

Sorry about the confusion.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
You are right, I misspoke. You must cancel within 30 days of the annual fee posting. But not 30 days after the statement date. For instance, if the date of the annual fee posting is April 3rd and it appears on a statement ending April 25, you must cancel within 30 days of April 3rd, not 30 days from April 25th. A good way to confirm this is to got to 'chat' online and they will tell you your dates and options.

Sorry about the confusion.
Still not right. You have 30 days from the closing date of the statement upon which the annual fee appears to cancel the card for a full refund of the annual fee.

"As before, Amex will still refund the entire annual fee if you close the account within 30 days of closing date of the statement that the annual fee is showing."

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-...ing-septmeber/
Statman likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Still not right. You have 30 days from the closing date of the statement upon which the annual fee appears to cancel the card for a full refund of the annual fee.

"As before, Amex will still refund the entire annual fee if you close the account within 30 days of closing date of the statement that the annual fee is showing."

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-...ing-septmeber/
OK, I don't which is right. I was told differently by knowledgeable FTers a few months ago. I still think it would be best to talk to or chat with AMEX before making any moves like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:27 am

OK, I don't which is right. I was told differently by knowledgeable FTers a few months ago. I still think it would be best to talk to or chat with AMEX before making any moves like this.
Diplomatico is right. It's stated directly in the card member agreement.

Here is the language from OP's card, Delta SkyMiles Gold, which states:

"If an Annual Membership fee applies, we will refund this fee if you notify us that you are voluntarily closing your Account within 30 days of the Closing Date of the billing statement on which that fee appears."

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...12-31-2018.pdf
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:34 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
In my experience American Express (USA) often bills the annual fee on the statement date, which collapses the distinction.
pallhedge likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Spouse downgraded to a $55 AF Delta card from the Gold after AF posted about a month ago. No issues so far. Maybe try that?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:04 pm

Wife closed her Ameriprise Platinum when the AF posted. 1 month ago had done the $200 airline credit and $50 Saks purchase. They offered a 20k retention offer which we declined. No threats of clawback, CSR simply closed the account and refunded the AF.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:03 pm

Not necessarily right thread, but anybody with any idea how the offers work if they say have to book/pay by a certain day, and you do a prepaid for a future date? For example, offer expires Mar 31, and I prepay/pay now for a stay in April.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.