Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Something else has occurred to me. I’ve received my airline credit already for this year. Any negative consequence on that if I now cancel?

Also, is there any issue with canceling my other biz Plat in Feb when AF is due? The original was a gold and is two years old. I upgraded to Plat biz last March because of a big upgrade offer. If I cancel in Feb, it will not have been a full year since upgrade. Odd because when I upgraded, they gave me a prorated refund for the gold AF and so I assumed my anniversary date would be the upgrade date in March.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:40 pm

Amex Denying Bonus when using bought codes?

Reading reports on Dans Deals about amex denying bonuses for people using codes not meant for them. Anyone have data points here of anything similar.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I think the general consensus is that codes for personal cards are non-transferrable while codes for business cards may be used by someone other than the original intended customer.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:55 am

Cancel Amex CC within 10 months to open up new one

I want to cancel an Amex delta gold (10 months after opening) in order to get the new Hilton CC. I already have the maximum amount of credit cards amex allows. Is this recommended?

Last edited by jmoney7890; Apr 16, 2018 at 8:08 am
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:02 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Not recommended and not necessary. Apply for the Hilton card now. Keep the Delta card until the annual fee is billed, call then to ask if there is a retention bonus which might make it inexpensive to keep, or cancel.

Recommended reading:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...on-offers.html
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:09 am

I am very sorry - i forgot to include on my post that i am at the amex CC limit
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:12 am
mia
Original Poster

Cancelling within 12 months of opening the account is still not recommended, because it is explicitly mentioned in the terms, see the first link.

Which cards do you hold now?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:18 am

delta amex gold, delta amex plat, ascend hilton CC, amex everyday card, delta business gold
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by jmoney7890
delta amex gold, delta amex plat, ascend hilton CC, amex everyday card, delta business gold
Are all three delta cards <12 months old? If not, can you close the oldest?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:08 pm

I'm a moron!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Sort of related to what the OP is asking and please move my question somewhere else if not pertinent. I know we are not supposed to close an account within the first year, but would it be a problem to downgrade my card at 10 months from opening? Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:44 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carofly
.... would it be a problem to downgrade my card at 10 months from opening? Thanks.
The terms do mention downgrading as well as closing within the first 12 months. What would be the benefit of downgrading now, rather than in two months?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by mia
The terms do mention downgrading as well as closing within the first 12 months. What would be the benefit of downgrading now, rather than in two months?
Hoping to then get an offer to upgrade; I know it's only a couple of months, but by the 12 months I may be abroad for a year or so.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by carofly
...I know it's only a couple of months, but by the 12 months I may be abroad for a year or so.
I think the terms update was intended to spell out the tools that AmEx already uses to combat seriously abusive behavior, such as collecting bonuses every few months while not using their cards. If you use your account more or less as intended, you probably don't need to treat it like a phone contract with a mandatory penalty for 1 month early termination.
Steve M, Robl and pallhedge like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:09 pm

Guys wondering how I should navigate this. I have a MB plat that I got and received the bonus from before it was discontinued. I've never gotten bonus from Vanilla plat and I'm concerned I'll get locked out from that once the card is converted into a vanilla in 2019. But I'm also concerned that I could get dinged for early cancellation. Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.