Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by atomicfront
If it does then what will the point of getting a credit card? To pay interest and annual fees? If they shut the bonus chasing down I just will go back to using a debit card
If you're paying interest, you're doing it wrong... but yes, the point would be to make purchases
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Lemme see - folks who otherwise pay contractors and day laborers in cash, businesses with rewards or incentive programs and the list goes on. $500 gift cards are far easier to handle than stacks of twenties. But for money launderers, Home Buckets full of cash are far easier to transport and, unlike gift cards, can be used outside the US or for paying off local government officials. These Homer Buckets, commonly found in Miami attics, can also be broken down into empty paint cans full of cash, which is an official unit of tender in San Antonio. All y'all just gotta love a town with the best 144th District Judges money can buy.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ge-5323573.php

I believe gaming LIBOR rates, illegally foreclosing on property, laundering money in Mexico, stealing identities to open new customer accounts and the like are abuse for all the population, but maybe, since the bankers are committing the real abuse, you suggest we just look the other way?
I believe I've seen a few units of paint can tenders here in San Francisco too.

In any case, my wife and I usually buys debit cards when the local grocery store has a sale on them. Usually comes with $10 of restriction free purchases per $50. Like others, I load up on the gasoline ones, effectively prepaying my purchase for gas for a month.

In fact, I've already met my PRG minimum spend already, and I still use it for my gift card purchases afterwards. If anything, it just shows AMEX, it's just part of my normal spending. How can they tell if it's GCs anyways?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:38 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mdosu
...How can they tell if it's GCs anyways?
Some merchants pass the details of the transaction to the issuer. Try making a purchase at Office Max and include a gift card as well as some other merchandise, then look at the posted transaction on americanexpress.com .
mdosu likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by atomicfront
If it does then what will the point of getting a credit card? To pay interest and annual fees? If they shut the bonus chasing down I just will go back to using a debit card
A number of savvy consumers who have credit cards do not pay interest. Annual fees are something that one should be able to recoup through the rewards and benefits...it is the reason I don't give up Platinum- I can recoup my $550 through the various benefits without jumping through hoops or playing the retention game.

If you decide that you don't want the benefits that come with a card, then more power to you.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Received a Business Rewards Gold offer (with offer code) in the mail today for $75K/5K....addressed to the wife.

Roll the dice and use the code for my own application because same last name/address? (Note: I realize it may be coded by SSN.)

Interesting because in huge letters it states "for existing cardmembers" - which I am.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:19 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Received a Business Rewards Gold offer (with offer code) in the mail today for $75K/5K....addressed to the wife.
This is the targeted offer discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...50k-links.html

....and a bit here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...unt-offer.html

If the invitation is addressed to your wife, why not have her apply?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mia

If the invitation is addressed to your wife, why not have her apply?
She's not interested in applying.

Edit: I had read the threads you linked to previously. My question was more related to the probability that AMEX freezes my account for using my wife's offer code, given the new "gaming" rules (which is why I posted it to this thread.)

Last edited by Diplomatico; Sep 1, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
She's not interested in applying.
Is she not interested in the benefits of the points if they're yours?

You/she can apply with her code and make you an AU.

Do you share an MR account?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Gold
Membership Rewards Change in Terms & Conditions

Just received letter from Amex regarding my Blue Business Plus card notifying me of changes to Membership Rewards Program terms & conditions

Effective Nov 1
If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse or gaming in connection with earning or using points or that you may attempt to do so, we may:
Take away any points in your account
Temporarily suspend your ability to redeem points
Temprarily suspend your ability to earn points
Cancel your program account
Cancel any of your American Express Cards

Hmmmm, what does this mean?

(not sure if this should be in this forum or manufactured spending)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:10 am
mia
Original Poster

Moderator action

Originally Posted by TaxiApple
... changes to Membership Rewards Program terms & conditions...
This seems to be an extension of the new account terms published in July (scroll back to post #1 ). This would formally make existing accounts subject to the same restrictions, and it brings the terms into better alignment with existing practice.

For now I will merge this into a single thread. If this turns out to be a mistake it's easily undone later.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:34 pm

Not that I do anything questionable but these new terms are making me seriously think about my relationship with Amex. I normally don't enter into contracts that allow someone to do whatever they want for whatever reason they want.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mysterym
Not that I do anything questionable but these new terms are making me seriously think about my relationship with Amex. I normally don't enter into contracts that allow someone to do whatever they want for whatever reason they want.
Terms like that are generally unenforceable, but then again I have no idea how fair the Amex arbitration procedures are.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by TaxiApple
Just received letter from Amex regarding my Blue Business Plus card notifying me of changes to Membership Rewards Program terms & conditions

Effective Nov 1
If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse or gaming ...blah blah blah...
Just received the same notice. Hmmm.

Wonder if everyone gets this, or if this is an indication that they've identified you as someone to watch more carefully...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mysterym
So you don't do business with any bank, credit card company, cell phone, internet, or any other business contract where you're the customer then?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Just received the same notice. Hmmm.

Wonder if everyone gets this, or if this is an indication that they've identified you as someone to watch more carefully...
I got it and I honestly haven’t played any games.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.