Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Chairman MasterCard ~2005
Chairman American Express ~2007
Prestige MasterCard ~2010

In each case there were a few feature iterations, but in all three there was a stage at which the cost:benefit ratio was better than American Express Platinum, but then Citi tinkered with the card (or with ThankYou Rewards) in a way that reduced it to a me too product.
Oh you are right I totally forgot the Chairman card - that is so ANCIENT. LOL.

Yup, that is exactly how the history is played out.

CSR would be just like that. It has a totally misplaced marketing focus. In fact it does not even now which market segment the card is for, in order to bring in the profit the bank is hoping. Interest from carrying balances? Seriously, from people who sign up a $450 AF card for the bonus and benefits? The cross-selling of products like mortgage - that only works when its interest rate is competitive...

And the CPC... my friend's Chase banker actually being honest and told my friend the CPC is not a good fit with my friend's long established relationship with Morgan Stanley (longer term portfolio) and Ameritrade (active trader). He does keep close to $100K cash in the business accounts at Chase but really does not want to add Chase in the mix on the investment side.

Even funnier is, his Plat was up for renewal, the retention offers were very crummy (5K at first call, and then 10K when he called to cancel). He then talked to Morgan Stanley which agreed to reimburse the $550 fee on a Morgan Stanley AMEX that was instantly approved. He immediately called AMEX to cancel the existing Plat. The AMEX rep was trying to list out the benefits etc and then the offer was up to 10K - too little too late.

The banks Algorithm to determine offers often is very strange.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
True or False?

AMEX is to Boeing
as
Chase is to Airbus
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by 4aks
They give the customer a huge negative balance, and a letter saying to buy them back to even zero at the purchase price (3 cents?)

Then they close the account and ban the customer. If they want to make an example, they can go to court
They should check with the PR dept before filing suit.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by mia
Note that American Express (USA) has refreshed new account terms to itemize behavior which may cause rewards to be forfeited:
Does the 8-12 weeks posting time only apply to bonuses or all Membership Rewards activity (earned from spending) ?

I think a better solution for AMEX to cut down on churning is to make all related cards (ex: Platinum) be considered as one product instead of separate products. In this way, individuals who received a bonus from the regular Platinum card would not be eligible for a bonus from the Schwab/MB/Morgan Stanley cards.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WWads
As I've said before, if you're one of those who likes to take the money and run, I hope you get penalized or blacklisted. You're ruining this hobby for the rest of us. I got the 100K offer, but I also paid the AF, and still hold the card today.
I've taken AMEX to the cleaners over the past 3 years. I even transferred out a big mistake on their part. Got a free SQ Suite for it, thanks AMEX!

Originally Posted by hiima
There goes my plan of opening different Plats and getting the bonus and canceling to get the AF refunded.
Just transfer out MR before they can freeze. Delete your AMEX ID and create a new one when you sign up for a new card. They aren't smart enough to figure it out.

Originally Posted by 4aks
They give the customer a huge negative balance, and a letter saying to buy them back to even zero at the purchase price (3 cents?)

Then they close the account and ban the customer. If they want to make an example, they can go to court
Ha! In their dreams. If I get one of those letters, goes right in the trash. If anyone should have received one of those letters, it's me and I still haven't.

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
Easy: block MR transfers until after 12 months.
Sounds like a great way for a struggling business to right the ship; become even more irrelevant.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Points do not have a cash value unless you redeem them that way, in AMEX's case, .005 cents per point.
Without trying to quibble, I think you meant 0.5 cents (or 0.005 dollars per point)
http://verizonmath.blogspot.sk/2006/...rom-cents.html
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Without trying to quibble, I think you meant 0.5 cents (or 0.005 dollars per point)
http://verizonmath.blogspot.sk/2006/...rom-cents.html
Half a cent per point, yes.

The points have no cash value unless you redeem them that way. If AMEX asks me to buy points to get back to a "0" balance from a negative balance, I would just laugh at them.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended

The points have no cash value unless you redeem them that way. If AMEX asks me to buy points to get back to a "0" balance from a negative balance, I would just laugh at them.
It's called "Fly Now, Pay Later". https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/fly...er-amex-delta/
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:58 am
Suspended

Agreed.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:22 am

I own a franchise and pay annual royalties to the corporate entity of roughly $60K/year. To pay it, I'm required to buy their gift card, but I can (and do) use a credit card. Guess I'll use my Chase biz cards instead of my Amex biz cards for that.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
You missed the entire point.

We're talking about all American Express cards.

If we get our bonus points/cash/miles, and then AMEX decides to pull the points back after we've already used or transferred them, we don't owe them squat in order to get the balance back to "0." It has nothing to do with borrowing rewards.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Lemme see - folks who otherwise pay contractors and day laborers in cash, businesses with rewards or incentive programs and the list goes on. $500 gift cards are far easier to handle than stacks of twenties. But for money launderers, Home Buckets full of cash are far easier to transport and, unlike gift cards, can be used outside the US or for paying off local government officials. These Homer Buckets, commonly found in Miami attics, can also be broken down into empty paint cans full of cash, which is an official unit of tender in San Antonio. All y'all just gotta love a town with the best 144th District Judges money can buy.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ge-5323573.php

I believe gaming LIBOR rates, illegally foreclosing on property, laundering money in Mexico, stealing identities to open new customer accounts and the like are abuse for all the population, but maybe, since the bankers are committing the real abuse, you suggest we just look the other way?

Originally Posted by slickvik
Good, gift cards are abuse for a big population of people. Spend should be legit who really buys gift cards regularly besides for a gift for someone?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:00 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by kb9522
So they're doing something about people stealing from them... Good. I hope this catches on with all cards.
If it does then what will the point of getting a credit card? To pay interest and annual fees? If they shut the bonus chasing down I just will go back to using a debit card
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta, IHG
Originally Posted by atomicfront
If it does then what will the point of getting a credit card? To pay interest and annual fees? If they shut the bonus chasing down I just will go back to using a debit card
You would choose to use a debit card over a cashback or points card just because you wouldn't be able to churn sign up bonuses anymore? I for one love the protections of a credit card versus credit card, and since they don't give you a cheaper price for using cash or debit typically, you might as well get rewards for buying stuff with a credit card.
SPN Lifer and michelle227 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Noctilum
You would choose to use a debit card over a cashback or points card just because you wouldn't be able to churn sign up bonuses anymore? I for one love the protections of a credit card versus credit card, and since they don't give you a cheaper price for using cash or debit typically, you might as well get rewards for buying stuff with a credit card.
A debit card isn't going to double the warranty on high dollar consumer purchases, and for travel purposes, a hotel putting a hold on funds is essentially invisible on a credit card but highly annoying with a debit card. Also easier to rent cars with a credit card, and the card's insurance is far cheaper than the rental company's CDW/'Super Cover' extortion rate.

If you're out of the churning game, there are any number of perfectly nice no annual fee credit cards that provide those kinds of benefits
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.