Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:23 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mysterym
...don't enter into contracts that allow someone to do whatever they want for whatever reason they want.
They already could, and did. In my view American Express is bringing their terms in to closer alignment with their recent practices.

This isn't only a legal move, it's a marketing strategy. By publishing more explicit rules, prohibiting specific practices, they are trying to drive less profitable and higher risk customers to other issuers. American Express is now more focused on margin than raw market share.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I got it and I honestly haven’t played any games.
Thanks, that's somewhat reassuring.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
i have a business gold card that I got last spring with no annual fee for the first year and some bonus (50k points?).

I was intending to use it for business purchases if the SPG cards went away after the Starwood-Marriott merger, but that hasn't happened so I haven't used it.

Am I likely to have trouble with Amex if I don't renew it when the annual fee hits?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:30 am
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stheller
Am I likely to have trouble with Amex if I don't renew it when the annual fee hits?
None whatsoever.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
None whatsoever.
Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Originally Posted by mia
This isn't only a legal move, it's a marketing strategy. By publishing more explicit rules, prohibiting specific practices, they are trying to drive less profitable and higher risk customers to other issuers. American Express is now more focused on margin than raw market share.
It's a good move that I also applaud. Been a cardholder since 1984.

At the IAH Centurion club last month I mentioned to the concierge that I was happy they are making moves to restrict club access and he said that he's heard that from a lot of cardholders. They need to get back to their roots.......dealing with the profitable 1/10 of the 1% and not the mass market.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
My question isn't exactly about lifetime language. I'm worried about this: "if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it...we may freeze the welcome bonus credited to, or we may take away the welcome bonus from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us." I don't know if that language was on the apps last January, but I'm trying to be uber careful.

I want to cancel two Plat biz. One was a new app 12.5 months ago and the second was an UPGRADE from a year old Gold Biz 11 months ago.

I should be fine, right? I have 500k points and don't want them grabbed. Paranoid.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
My question isn't exactly about lifetime language. I'm worried about this: "if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it...we may freeze the welcome bonus credited to, or we may take away the welcome bonus from your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us." I don't know if that language was on the apps last January, but I'm trying to be uber careful.

I want to cancel two Plat biz. One was a new app 12.5 months ago and the second was an UPGRADE from a year old Gold Biz 11 months ago.

I should be fine, right? I have 500k points and don't want them grabbed. Paranoid.
You should be. On the other hand, I wouldn't be comfortable risking 500K MR points, not matter how small the risk is. Consider transferring them to an airline or 2.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:15 pm
mia
Original Poster

Annual fees post on the (approximate) anniversary of the first statement which means there is no reason to close an account within "12 months" of the opening date.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mnscout
You should be. On the other hand, I wouldn't be comfortable risking 500K MR points, not matter how small the risk is. Consider transferring them to an airline or 2.
Well I'm not transferring them to an airline b/c I have no use for them now and like to transfer to many different airlines when the need arises. Otherwise to avoid the risk (if it's an actual risk) then I have to fork out $900 in AF.

Anyone else have an opinion? Alternatively, downgrade options?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:48 pm
mia
Original Poster

I don't see any risk if you wait until 12 months after the accounts were opened.
mhdena likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Well I'm not transferring them to an airline b/c I have no use for them now and like to transfer to many different airlines when the need arises. Otherwise to avoid the risk (if it's an actual risk) then I have to fork out $900 in AF.

Anyone else have an opinion? Alternatively, downgrade options?
I can now answer my own question. Only charge card for downgrade is Amex green with $95 AF. Can downgrade from charge to credit card with no AF. So for me it's cancel or pay up.

Originally Posted by mia
I don't see any risk if you wait until 12 months after the accounts were opened.
I trust you MIA! ; ) I am thinking the same thing. All the updates to terms has made me paranoid. But I think I will wait till Feb 1 and cancel.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Annual fees post on the (approximate) anniversary of the first statement which means there is no reason to close an account within "12 months" of the opening date.
In case someone missed doing the math on what you said, here it is:

Amex tends to bill the second year annual fee about 13 months after you opened the card. So waiting until you see the second year annual fee means it's more than 12 months already since the opening date of the card, plus after you see it you still have weeks more before you actually have to pay it. So if you just wait until the second year annual fee is almost due before you cancel, you'll be absolutely fine relative to this "12 months" language.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
In case someone missed doing the math on what you said, here it is:

Amex tends to bill the second year annual fee about 13 months after you opened the card. So waiting until you see the second year annual fee means it's more than 12 months already since the opening date of the card, plus after you see it you still have weeks more before you actually have to pay it. So if you just wait until the second year annual fee is almost due before you cancel, you'll be absolutely fine relative to this "12 months" language.
Excellent clarification. Thank you. I’ll cancel once Feb hits and a few days before due.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by mysterym
Not that I do anything questionable but these new terms are making me seriously think about my relationship with Amex. I normally don't enter into contracts that allow someone to do whatever they want for whatever reason they want.
Contracts that that allow someone to do whatever they want for whatever reason they want are most of the time unenforceable, except in a few states that allow powerful entities to screw over consumers under the premise of "free-enterprise"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.