Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2020, 5:37 am

Hi all, I’m planning to close out two cards by the end of this year. I opened one of them in mid December and the other one in late December. Their annual fees were billed in January of this year.

Does the one year clock begin on the account opening date or when the annual fee is billed ?

Thanks.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steve4
Hi all, I’m planning to close out two cards by the end of this year. I opened one of them in mid December and the other one in late December. Their annual fees were billed in January of this year.

Does the one year clock begin on the account opening date or when the annual fee is billed ?

Thanks.
Since you have 30 days from the AF is billed to get it 100% reversed if the card is canceled within that 30 days, why dont you wait for the NEXT AF is billed, then cancel the cards before the 30 days deadline is up, (and preferably before the payment due date so you dont need to pay it first...)?
Old May 3, 2020, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Since you have 30 days from the AF is billed to get it 100% reversed if the card is canceled within that 30 days, why dont you wait for the NEXT AF is billed, then cancel the cards before the 30 days deadline is up, (and preferably before the payment due date so you dont need to pay it first...)?
I found it easier to cancel cards right before the annual fees were billed because although it was rare, sometimes it took me more than one phone call to have the fees reversed, likely due to inexperienced reps, but who knows. I just don’t want any hassles
Old May 3, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, IHG, Hyatt
Can you get an upgrade offer with bonus points on your Surpass card if you already have an Aspire?
Old May 3, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by linaseta
Can you get an upgrade offer with bonus points on your Surpass card if you already have an Aspire?
I don't know specifically about upgrading to a 2nd Aspire. But whenever I had both the lower and higher level cards, I never received system generated upgrade offers with bonuses. Perhaps if you call and ask, they may still offer you something. It hasn't worked for me though.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by linaseta
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I don't know specifically about upgrading to a 2nd Aspire. But whenever I had both the lower and higher level cards, I never received system generated upgrade offers with bonuses. Perhaps if you call and ask, they may still offer you something. It hasn't worked for me though.
I don't know about the Aspire either, but around the time of the SPG -> Marriott changeover, I got a 100k upgrade offer on my SPG purple card (both email and on the web site when I logged in), then a 100k offer for a new Brilliant card outright. Due to wondering about the above, I applied for the new card first. Once that went through the web site upgrade offer disappeared, but luckily I still had the upgrade email. So if you are in a similar situation, I suggest planning accordingly
Old May 3, 2020, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steve4
I found it easier to cancel cards right before the annual fees were billed because although it was rare, sometimes it took me more than one phone call to have the fees reversed, likely due to inexperienced reps, but who knows. I just don’t want any hassles
How so? You can cancel the card by automatic robot call, dont even need a human being.

Never have fee not automatically reversed the next day in my memory.

The goal is to stay on the safe side so you would not accidentally trip the wire to be labeled being abuser on AMEX's terms.
Robl likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway. Would cancelling a NAF card on which I did not receive a sign-up bonus or an offer within 12 months hurt my chances of getting future bonuses? I just received a mailer for a Delta card worth 60,000 miles that I would like to apply for, but I already have five Amex credit cards, so I would need to close one to free up a spot. (And I did receive a bonus on card #5 , so for me, the limit appears to be five rather than four). For various reasons, I don't want to close four of them. But one is a NAF Hilton card that I applied for in January of this year solely because I hoped to be targeted with upgrade offers in the future. It came with no bonus offer. That feels a lot less abusive than closing a card with a sign up bonus in less than 12 months, but I doubt it would matter to Amex.
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Actually, closing a card early--one that you only opened in the hopes of getting an upgrade offer for--in order to take advantage of a new signup bonus on another card sounds exactly like the misuse/gaming Amex is referring to in their fine print.
Originally Posted by LWT3
Except there would be no way for them to know that was the motivation.
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Here's the advice I've given in the past...

"Under no circumstances" includes your circumstance.
I forgot about this debate, but since I stumbled across it, I'll share my data point. It worked fine. No issues getting my bonus on the new card, no connection in Amex's mind between that and the non-bonused card I closed within 12 months of opening. It's an obscure fact pattern, so it may not be beneficial to many people, but if this ever comes up this is one data point. So, Pallhedge was adamant, but I decided it was worth the risk, and I'm glad I did.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Curious if anyone has any insight on the current AMEX Everyday to Everday Preferred 25k MR after $2000 spend upgrade offer. I originally had the Everday Preferred Card and an Everyday card. I closed the EDP a few years ago. The ED card is probably 5 or 6 years old.

If I upgrade my card today I am halfway through my membership year. I would get a prorated $47.50 annual fee and then in 6 months a $95 annual fee. If I downgrade the card when the $95 fee hits would I be "breaking the rules." Do I wait 12 months and downgrade, receiving a prorated $47.50 annual fee refund and have spent a total of $95 in annual fees? Or am I stuck paying $47.50, then $95, then downgrading when the second $95 annual fee hits?

I'm curious because if it is the 2nd case, $95 + $47.50, the 25k offer is not that appealing to me.

In the past, I have done BCE to BCP, collected bonus, downgraded as soon as I received the bonus, and then been able to upgrade again and receive the upgrade bonus a second time, all within 90 days. I know things have changed.

On a related matter, I currently have a Gold Card that I do all my grocery spend on. I was thinking I would downgrade that to Green to take advantage of the $10 monthly cellphone credit and the prorated annual fee refund. I can't see myself using the $100 travel credit this year, and with the EDP I'd be earning 4.5MR on grocery instead of 4 with the Gold, albeit going down from 4MR on dining to 3.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
For people who took advantage of the upgrade from no-fee to Surpass card last summer, what date are you using to downgrade back to the no-fee (if you are)? The actual date of the upgrade (which would be exactly 12 months) or the date that they charged the pro-rated annual fee (which for me was about 1.5 months after the upgrade).
Old Jul 28, 2020, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
For people who took advantage of the upgrade from no-fee to Surpass card last summer, what date are you using to downgrade back to the no-fee (if you are)? ...
I'd give it 12-1/2 months since the upgrade or 2020/07/31, whichever is later.
fredc84 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by jags86
Curious if anyone has any insight on the current AMEX Everyday to Everday Preferred 25k MR after $2000 spend upgrade offer. I originally had the Everday Preferred Card and an Everyday card. I closed the EDP a few years ago. The ED card is probably 5 or 6 years old.

If I upgrade my card today I am halfway through my membership year. I would get a prorated $47.50 annual fee and then in 6 months a $95 annual fee. If I downgrade the card when the $95 fee hits would I be "breaking the rules." Do I wait 12 months and downgrade, receiving a prorated $47.50 annual fee refund and have spent a total of $95 in annual fees? Or am I stuck paying $47.50, then $95, then downgrading when the second $95 annual fee hits?

I'm curious because if it is the 2nd case, $95 + $47.50, the 25k offer is not that appealing to me.

In the past, I have done BCE to BCP, collected bonus, downgraded as soon as I received the bonus, and then been able to upgrade again and receive the upgrade bonus a second time, all within 90 days. I know things have changed.

On a related matter, I currently have a Gold Card that I do all my grocery spend on. I was thinking I would downgrade that to Green to take advantage of the $10 monthly cellphone credit and the prorated annual fee refund. I can't see myself using the $100 travel credit this year, and with the EDP I'd be earning 4.5MR on grocery instead of 4 with the Gold, albeit going down from 4MR on dining to 3.
the gold still has a $10/m for food or GH even if 4x pts @ grocery was maxed out
Old May 28, 2021, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Amex biz gold, when to close after getting the bonus points?

First time doing a mid-tier AF card bonus run, already got the 90k points. I heard it is not recommended to get the points and close account within the 1st year, but $295*2 annual fee would significantly increase the cost. I have a personal gold card and plan to keep it, so the biz gold card does not make too much sense. Wonder if it is absolutely no no to close it (i don't think there is a non AF downgrade path for biz gold).

Been with Amex for maybe 10 years, have multiple cards, and have not closed any of it so far. Thanks in adavance
Old May 28, 2021, 8:29 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Procter
...within the 1st year, but $295*2 annual fee would significantly increase the cost. ...
This is not an issue. The renewal fee will post after the first year anniversary, and you will then have a month to negotiate retention and decide to pay or cancel.
SPN Lifer and isle-hawg like this.

Last edited by mia; May 28, 2021 at 8:35 am
Old Jun 1, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mia
This is not an issue. The renewal fee will post after the first year anniversary, and you will then have a month to negotiate retention and decide to pay or cancel.
Ah, good to know. Thanks a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.