Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

Old Dec 13, 18, 9:41 am

You should never cancel any Amex card before the 1 year anniversary or the RAT will get you. As the annual fee is no longer prorated I don't see the point anyway unless you used up all 5 of your Amex slots. But if you open up more than 5 Amex cards in a year your asking for trouble anyway.
Old Dec 13, 18, 10:09 am

Programs: several:)
To be honest, I didn't read the T&Cs, just reading FlyerTalk

Never gamed points before. Never had five Amex cards open (not even charge and credit cards combined) at the same time.

Do you guys think there is a chance that they might reinstate the points if I reinstate the card?
Old Dec 13, 18, 10:56 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderato action

bengggggg's report has been merged into the thread helpfully linked by Diplomatico, as an example of how the terms are enforced in practice.
Old Dec 13, 18, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
That doesn't make any sense they would want the sign up bonus back because you didn't held the card for a year. I don't think there's anything in the T&C that states that. I've had closed an Amex MR card w/in 6 months and sign up bonus was in tack. Were any of your spending to meet the spend requirements suspicious?
No, spending was not suspicious. I talked to the MR team on the phone, and they told me that it was solely the fact that I cancelled less than 12 months out.
Old Dec 13, 18, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by bengggggg View Post
No, spending was not suspicious. I talked to the MR team on the phone, and they told me that it was solely the fact that I cancelled less than 12 months out.
Do you currently hold any other Amex cards for longer than 1 yr?
Old Dec 13, 18, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers View Post

Do you currently hold any other Amex cards for longer than 1 yr?
No, except for being an authorized user on another card
Old Dec 13, 18, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by bengggggg View Post
No, except for being an authorized user on another card
Thanks. I wonder if holding other Amex cards for more than a year makes a difference.
Old Dec 13, 18, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Thanks. I wonder if holding other Amex cards for more than a year makes a difference.
It doesn't.

Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
That doesn't make any sense they would want the sign up bonus back because you didn't held the card for a year. I don't think there's anything in the T&C that states that. I've had closed an Amex MR card w/in 6 months and sign up bonus was in tack. Were any of your spending to meet the spend requirements suspicious?
Actually, this is exactly what happens-- you gotta keep the card open for a year, has nothing to do with suspicious spending. I was a 30-year Amex card-holder w/ well over a million dollars in spending on the cards during that time and they did it to me.
Old Dec 17, 18, 7:53 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
I opened my Biz Plat last year. The AF is due next week. Can I assume the card has been open 13 months? Also, I am thinking of paying the fee and taking advantage of the new airline credit that will reset on Jan 1. I will then cancel on the next bill and hopefully get the AF refunded? Is this still Amex policy, to refund AF in full if it is only one month in? Sorry if this is the wrong thread. Mods please move if so.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebat View Post
I opened my Biz Plat last year. The AF is due next week. Can I assume the card has been open 13 months? Also, I am thinking of paying the fee and taking advantage of the new airline credit that will reset on Jan 1. I will then cancel on the next bill and hopefully get the AF refunded? Is this still Amex policy, to refund AF in full if it is only one month in? Sorry if this is the wrong thread. Mods please move if so.
NO. Assumption would get you in trouble.
If you have not kept good records, you can ask the CSR when the card is opened.

You have 30 days from the AF is billed to cancel a card and get the AF reversed. The 30 days limit is ENFORCED.

Do your math carefully if you plan to keep the card thru the first few days of January.

It is 30 days from the AF is billed, not is due. Major difference for at least 21 days to 24 days.

If your AF is due on next week, chances are, it has been billed at least 2 weeks already. You will then cutting it Very close because the airline credit takes a few days to post, especially given January 1st is a holiday.

In the long long past AMEX claimed if you changed product you get the AF refunded pro-rated even it passed the 30 days. But with so many changes happened with AMEX this year, I would not count on that.
thebat likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 17, 18 at 6:04 pm
Old Mar 12, 19, 11:10 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Canceling Delta Gold AMEX, losing all points/bookings?

Hi,

So last year I signed up for the AMEX Delta Skymils Gold credit card with the 75K miles offer. Renewal is coming up at the end of the month and I am not planning to keep the card. A couple of weeks ago I redeemed my bonus miles for a pay with miles ticket (80K miles + 20USD cash portion) for a trip coming up the first week of April. Earlier today I called AMEX to cancel the card, however the agent warned me that they will take back the bonus miles (75K) if I cancel the card. As I only have 1000 miles in my account the agent said that my skymiles account will have a negative balance and thus Delta might cancel my booked ticket in order to get those miles back.

Is this really true, or is the agent only trying to scare me into keeping the CC?
Old Mar 12, 19, 12:36 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

If you close the account during the first 12 months American Express may, indeed, retract the bonus -and- it may reduce your chances of qualifying for a bonus on other American Express cards. Leave the account open until the annual fee actually appears on a statement. That will be after the end of the 12th month, then you can call, consider any retention offer, and close without fear of a clawback.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 2:36 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by mia View Post
If you close the account during the first 12 months American Express may, indeed, retract the bonus -and- it may reduce your chances of qualifying for a bonus on other American Express cards. Leave the account open until the annual fee actually appears on a statement. That will be after the end of the 12th month, then you can call, consider any retention offer, and close without fear of a clawback.
How can they retract the bonus miles when I have already used them for an upcoming trip? Can they really ask Delta to cancel a pay with miles ticket in order to get back their bonus miles?
Old Mar 12, 19, 2:48 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747forever View Post
... Can they really ....
I do not know, but why risk by closing the account during the first 12 months?
JonNYC likes this.
Old Mar 12, 19, 3:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by B747forever View Post
How can they retract the bonus miles when I have already used them for an upcoming trip? Can they really ask Delta to cancel a pay with miles ticket in order to get back their bonus miles?
I suspect Amex has a contractual agreement with Delta to be able to claw back the points in the case of an early account closure, or more specifically, get back whatever cash was paid to Delta to buy the miles. In the event that the miles have been spent and there aren't others to compensate, then this would put the SkyMiles account into the negative. What DL does at that point is up to them. They certainly could cancel ticketed awards for lack of payment, in the same way that they would if they got a credit card chargeback. Whether they have the procedures and policies in place to actually do that is another matter, but it wouldn't be based on what Amex thinks should be done.

Search this Thread