AMEX Personal Loans

Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
AMEX Personal Loans

I know AMEX has their commercial bank arm, but I never been targeted when logging into my account for a personal loan.

I am being offered up to 25K at 6.98%

Not interested in this at all. However, that interest rate matched some of my student loan rates Is this new?

Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:45 pm

Had a similar offer...in googling, it looks like the numbers have been all over the map on both loan amount and maximum APR.

Last time I saw them doing this sort of thing was in the early 90's with a blank check and terms attached. Forget what they called the program back then though...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:00 pm

7% is pretty cheap for an unsecured loan.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:51 pm

I got this same offer yesterday. Never seen it before.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:54 am

WSJ ran an article earlier that gives some context to this. The gist of it is that Amex has been looking for alternative revenue sources since losing CostCo last year, so they're trying to strengthen their consumer lending arm. This also explains why they've been aggressively pushing "pay over time" features so that consumers will start carrying balances on charge cards.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...lls-1500498486
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by weaseltown
This also explains why they've been aggressively pushing "pay over time" features so that consumers will start carrying balances on charge cards.
Remember when charge cards weren't credit cards
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
A charge card with a linked line of credit can be superior to a credit card because one can carry a balance without having new transactions automatically added to the interest bearing balance.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:14 pm

I recently got the same APR through an offer on SPG AmEx purchases for 12 months. Enrolled in the offer but silly me is still paying it in full every month. Oh well, good to have a safety net in case things get weird.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.