Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR (USA) to BA/IB 40% (250:350) through 9.17.2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes there are surcharges but they've been reduced substantially. The website is finicky. The biggest issue with NH awards is no one-ways.
If/when the website works, and provides quotes for the surcharges, that should give us enough specifics to compare the ANA route to avios. It appears they're both not trivial to figure out, but might have different sweet spots.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:50 am

love the Boston to Dublin round trip for 25K avios on Aer Lingus...Use Dublin as your gateway to other European destinations.
Edit-looks like they devalued, off peak 26K miles now, but old price didn't have a peak and off peak.

Last edited by theplayer; Aug 5, 2017 at 8:59 am
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by slm9555
Is there any decent use of Avios to get from the US west coast to the Maldives? I am looking into booking my honeymoon trip and seeing if I can take advantage of the Avios transfer bonus in some fashion.
Cathay Pacific.

Maldives is beautiful but not sure about now.
Would suggest going to Bora Bora (via Air France) instead and it's not to far from West Coast.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by edcli
Would suggest going to Bora Bora (via Air France) instead and it's not to far from West Coast.
How can you use Avios for Air France awards?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravelStar
How can you use Avios for Air France awards?
You cannot, but you can transfer Membership Rewards to FlyingBlue.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by edcli
Cathay Pacific.

Maldives is beautiful but not sure about now.
I would go on this trip sometime between December 17 and February 18. In regards to not beautiful right now are you referring to the weather or something else?

Do you suggest Bora Bora over Maldives in general or just for certain dates?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:29 am

I would go on this trip sometime between December 17 and February 18. In regards to not beautiful right now are you referring to the weather or something else?

I know I'm going to get flak regarding this but here is my take.

I did consider the Maldives for a family vaca last yr. I went there during my honeymoon (over 10 yrs ago) and had a great time. I wanted to share the experience with my kids.

After doing some research, I changed my mind. Maldives is a Muslim country and some citizens have gone to join ISIS. I'm not saying a Maldivian is more likely to be a terrorist. However I will say tourist in the Maldives is a very soft target. All the resorts are on their own islands with a ton of Westerners. If there were a terrorist attack, there will not be a quick response time.

Bora Bora is just as beautiful. Although I will give that the Maldives may be a bit more romantic b/c it is more secluded. That's my 2 cents.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
In my experience, Round-trip from LAX to PPT Tahiti using Flying Blue points are very hard to come by. Especially in Premium Economy or Business.
Although they charge a lot of points, Etihad has tons of availability from the west coast to Maldives (one stop in Abu Dhabi) and is a Membership Rewards partner.
Also, you could get to Maldives using Avios from LAX to Doha (and on to MLE) on Qatar.
For both Etihad and Qatar, you might find better award availability if you search awards in two segments.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA/AA

While nobody can predict weather for a one or two week holiday...in general during the months of December, January and February.....statistically you're more inclined to get dry/sunny weather in the Maldives, and wet/overcast weather in Bora Bora.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by MaxVO
If/when the website works, and provides quotes for the surcharges, that should give us enough specifics to compare the ANA route to avios. It appears they're both not trivial to figure out, but might have different sweet spots.
Are you sure the Aer Lingus BOS-DUB o/w @12.5k Avios is still available?
I think the raised it to 20k Avios o/w.

Also, it seems the Air Berlin routes are gone from BA and Avios redemption...
The JFK-DUS route was a bargain at 20k o/w and no fuel surcharges.

Last edited by bajrbajr; Aug 27, 2017 at 11:39 am
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:24 pm

Using Avios on JAl

i am trying to book a flight from Boston to Tokyo on JAL. I was going to transfer Amex miles to BA or Asia Miles. AM is better redemption rate,even with Avios Amex promotion it seems but given uncertainty of how long it takes to transfer was thinking of going with a transfer to Avios.

any thoughts?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Aholton
i am trying to book a flight from Boston to Tokyo on JAL. I was going to transfer Amex miles to BA or Asia Miles. AM is better redemption rate,even with Avios Amex promotion it seems but given uncertainty of how long it takes to transfer was thinking of going with a transfer to Avios.

any thoughts?
What class of service? How many MR points are needed in each program, and is there any difference in the cash component that each program charges?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
What class of service? How many MR points are needed in each program, and is there any difference in the cash component that each program charges?
Business class.

Avios wants 220,000 Avios points for a round trip Boston-Tokyo flight whereas AsiaMiles wants 120,000 AsiaMiles for the same thing. Takes are slightly higher on avios
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Aholton
Business class.

Avios wants 220,000 Avios points for a round trip Boston-Tokyo flight whereas AsiaMiles wants 120,000 AsiaMiles for the same thing. Takes are slightly higher on avios
For what it's worth, if you were willing to connect -- or stop over -- in ORD or NYC in one direction, you could bring the number of Avios required for the trip down to just 180,000 BA Avios (129,000 MR points) by utilizing BA's multi-partner redemption chart:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/03...s-redemptions/
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
...BA's multi-partner redemption chart:
http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/03...s-redemptions/
Good option to keep in mind, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.