MR (USA) to BA/IB 40% (250:350) through 9.17.2017

Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
Is there a way to get a confirmed upgrade at booking time? Specific fares? Check availability within the 24 hour cancellation window?

The upgrade would be good use for me, and I don't mind buying a WT+ seat if I know I will be in CW come flight day.
Of course, in fact all miles upgrades with BA are confirmed as soon as you do the upgrade, which can be at booking.

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Perhaps there is already a discussion on FT about the BA/IB upgrade awards. If anyone can suggest relevant link(s), I'd appreciate it.

There's more info on this in the BA forum. This thread is pretty good Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Valveking
Does anyone have some good ideas on how to use these miles?
If you travel to Asia they are great for CX intra-Asia flights in J. 9k Avios HKG-TPE, 15k HKG-BKK, etc.

Originally Posted by crystak
Best way to use them is for upgrades Word Traveller Plus to Business on BA, on transatlantic or any long haul route.
Sorry, any use which requires flying BA is not the "best" use
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by crystak
... miles upgrades with BA are confirmed as soon as you do the upgrade, which can be at booking....
Unless this has changed recently, BA upgrades come from the same inventory as awards seats.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mia
Unless this has changed recently, BA upgrades come from the same inventory as awards seats.

If you upgrade a cash booking using Avios you get TP/Avios of the upgraded cabin.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:32 pm

Harder and harder to find AA availability on BA and TATL BA is worthless because of fees. However, with the bonus I find for some hotel bookings I can get 1.2 cents per MR.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:46 am

Is there any decent use of Avios to get from the US west coast to the Maldives? I am looking into booking my honeymoon trip and seeing if I can take advantage of the Avios transfer bonus in some fashion.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slm9555
Is there any decent use of Avios to get from the US west coast to the Maldives? ...
No, that would be one of the most wasteful uses of avios. It would be so even if you had a BA free companion certificate, because the BA high cost is no longer offset by good service/comfort in J/F cabins.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:53 pm

No, that would be one of the most wasteful uses of avios. It would be so even if you had a BA free companion certificate, because the BA high cost is no longer offset by good service/comfort in J/F cabins.
Ideally I would use Avios for non-BA metal and was hoping maybe I could luck out and take advantage of this promotion.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:01 pm

guys - I want to transfer from my Amex everyday card MR to my spouse's Avios account. She's not an authorized user currently - do you think it'll work and how many days for transfer to take?

Thx
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sam007
...She's not an authorized user currently - do you think it'll work ...
You need to add her as a supplementary cardholder on your American Express account. Transfers to BA are instantaneous.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...otel-acct.html
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:10 pm

ok can i request it now and immediately transfer points or have to wait for card to arrive
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slm9555
Ideally I would use Avios for non-BA metal and was hoping maybe I could luck out and take advantage of this promotion.
If a decent redemption rate is still an objective, perhaps US West Coast to South America 2 might be of interest for a future trip.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
With a bonus as large as this, would it be a bad move to just transfer MR to ANA then book something like Etihad to South Africa for 104K miles RT in J?

Avios are so confusing to me and flying on BA metal is too expensive...
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by forkknifespoon
... would it be a bad move to just transfer MR to ANA then book something like Etihad to South Africa for 104K miles RT in J?
This looks like a good idea. Are there surcharges with ANA awards?
Also, how easy are they to book?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This looks like a good idea. Are there surcharges with ANA awards?
Also, how easy are they to book?
Yes there are surcharges but they've been reduced substantially. The website is finicky. The biggest issue with NH awards is no one-ways.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.