Does Amex Platinum make Uber trips more expensive?

Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:32 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by seawolf
They definitely do dynamic pricing. But having AMEX Plat vs not having AMEX does not produce a difference. In any case, if price is a concern, you should be checking Lyft at the same time if they are in your market. Just had a pickup from EWR. $64 on Uber vs $47 with Lyft at same service level.
^ Now that both services have upfront pricing, I've started checking Lyft and Uber for all trips and just go with whatever is cheapest. Oddly, I fly about twice a month out of LGA and I can't remember the last time Uber was NOT more expensive than Lyft going to LGA. Which is unfortunate, because I have to use that $15/month Amex credit.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by dw
^ Now that both services have upfront pricing, I've started checking Lyft and Uber for all trips and just go with whatever is cheapest. Oddly, I fly about twice a month out of LGA and I can't remember the last time Uber was NOT more expensive than Lyft going to LGA. Which is unfortunate, because I have to use that $15/month Amex credit.
Well as long as the difference is less than $15 you'll come out on top versus not using the credit at all.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:15 pm

At least for me, uber is 200% more expensive in Seattle. Ride to airport is $95 via uberX vs $45 via Lyft. Tested Monday-Sunday at random times each day (e,g 1am, 5am, 8am, 12pm, 3pm. 9pm etc.). I consider this an anti-perk which makes amex plat more expensive beyond its $550 annual fee. FWIW my uber rating is 4.9+. Will likely cancel amex this year.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Sung Sam
At least for me, uber is 200% more expensive in Seattle. Ride to airport is $95 via uberX vs $45 via Lyft. Tested Monday-Sunday at random times each day (e,g 1am, 5am, 8am, 12pm, 3pm. 9pm etc.). I consider this an anti-perk which makes amex plat more expensive beyond its $550 annual fee. FWIW my uber rating is 4.9+. Will likely cancel amex this year.
Are you comparing Uber to lift and fees in Seattle? If so this thread from the way I understand is to see when people have their AMEX platinum card tied to their Uber account would fares be higher than an Uber account alone without a platinum card attached
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

Are you comparing Uber to lift and fees in Seattle? If so this thread from the way I understand is to see when people have their AMEX platinum card tied to their Uber account would fares be higher than an Uber account alone without a platinum card attached
Regardless of the root cause, this extreme price differential renders Amexs $15 uber credit worthless for me. I save $40+ using Lyft every single time, even after using Amex perks for airport rides. And no, I dont use uber eats.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Another data point. I have taken 12 Uber rides this month and I always have my wife check her Uber account (no Amex Platinum card) at the same time I am requesting a ride. For all 12 rides, there literally has been no difference or a difference of a few pennies because she was a few seconds slower or faster than me checking.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:35 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
[..... I consider this an anti-perk which makes amex plat more expensive beyond its $550 annual fee....
I do not understand how a feature you do not use adds to your cost of holding the card.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
I do not understand how a feature you do not use adds to your cost of holding the card.
I believe he was trying to say by using it, he actually loses money.

By not using it, that also could be a big part of the $550 AF "value".
Sung Sam likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If I used uber because of the Amex perks, I would have overpaid (relative to Lyft) by $500-1000 in the past 3 months alone. Not using uber incurs a zero cost to me. I’m comparing use cases. If I was to use their “perk” I would have come out $500-1000 under. How exactly the pricing algorithm works is anyone’s guess. But my point is, this scenario is akin to handing out 20% off coupon on a product that was marked up by 200%. It has negative implicit value.

Last edited by mia; Jun 30, 2018 at 8:04 pm Reason: Remove inflammatory comments about other posters.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:25 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

If I used uber because of the Amex perks....
If I understand correctly, you do not use Uber when it is more expensive than Lyft, which means you have not overpaid. I have never used Uber or Lyft. There is no sense in which the presence of the unused feature increases the cost of the card for either of us.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:59 pm
mia

Moderator action

One post has been edited, others removed. Write about American Express products, policies and practices, not about other posters. The purpose of any Flyertalk thread to exchange ideas and information, not to change another poster's conclusions.

Fyertalk's rules are published here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Moderators value your private views and feedback related to their actions and duties. You may submit appropriate feedback to moderators by private message or e-mail. Do not post comments about moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread.

Any concerns about the actions of a moderator should be directed exclusively and privately to the Community Director.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:00 pm
mia

Moderator action

American Express vs Chase discussion tangent moved to more appropriate thread:

Does anyone own BOTH Chase Sapphire Reserve & Amex Platinum?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.