Downgrading AmEx Blue Cash Preferred.. 6% or 3%?

Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Downgrading AmEx Blue Cash Preferred.. 6% or 3%?

I have a question if anyone knows the answer and I don't know where else to post this question.. Here it goes..

I just upgraded my AmEx Blue Cash to Preferred.. It's only been 1 week but I already got the $150 upgrade bonus. So now because I read on your site that the AF comes on day 45.. I'm thinking to downgrade the card again (if AmEx will let me downgrade that fast).

But my question is this.. I already spent almost $2,000 at supermarkets (mostly gift cards). If I downgrade now.. but after I already spent.. will I end up with the 6% cashback for supermarkets for spending I've already done with the Preferred card? Or if I downgrade now before the end of the first statement.. will I only end up with 3%?

If anyone has any idea about this.. please let me know.. thank you so much
Old Feb 24, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Unrelated, but is there ever a reason to downgrade the BCP to BCE if you max out the 6k (which is not hard)? The AF is easily covered by the extra 3% cash back. My AF just posted and I’m thinking about over time especially with how sensitive Amex is nowadays when people try to screw around with them
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:16 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Taking advantage of an upgrade offer, hitting the spend, and then downgrading the card before the annual fee hits is a great way to get on Amex's bad side. Probably not worth it.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by augustus21
Taking advantage of an upgrade offer, hitting the spend, and then downgrading the card before the annual fee hits is a great way to get on Amex's bad side. Probably not worth it.
Not just that, but:

Originally Posted by reqfield
I already spent almost $2,000 at supermarkets (mostly gift cards).
Doesn't AMEX take a rather dim view of gift card spend to achieve signup bonuses?

I mean... if you don't mind executing a smash and grab, OP, realizing AMEX might decide you're not their kind of customer because you want to churn bonuses, suck it dry, and ditch it for the no AF card, sure, go for it, see what happens. Lots of fish in the sea. Probably not good for an ongoing relationship though.
davidlhanson likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.