Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AMEX Website

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
New AMEX Website

What is everybody's opinion on the new website?

I personally do not like it...I feel lost on it... Hopefully Ill get used to it but I felt the other format worked well enough...
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:19 am

I think it is awful. Everything takes up more space than it used to and currently if you have more than 4 cards, when you click on the "my accounts" button to view the rest you are unable to select anything further down the the 5th card. They removed the handy sidebar that would come up and show the balances of all your accounts.

Overall the redesign is bland and uninspiring and I cant find a way to get back to the old interface.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:28 am

Ugh horrible UI. Looks like they are trying to save money and fired everyone but the mobile app team. They manage to hide things on multiple screens that were visible from one. This type of design reminds me of the sites that force you to click though multiple pages just so they can put ads on every page. Maybe that is the next step.

Also the new site is much slower than before.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
WOAH! That's an unpleasant surprise. I always live by the motto "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg
WOAH! That's an unpleasant surprise. I always live by the motto "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
+1

What an ugly layout. I'm sure someone decided that it would look better on an iPad, but it's really just awful.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I'm getting a slow response and a lot of blank pages when searching for travel on the site. Both chrome and edge browsers.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:40 am

The major flaw in this website is the missing sidebar which showed all your balances and due dates at a glance.

If they add that information easily somewhere then who cares - its just a website. But right now there is a major risk that I'll miss some payment on my 5th card because its not easily viewable.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nomii
... major risk that I'll miss some payment .
Setup automatic payments on all cards. You can still pay manually, but this guarantees you will never be late.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by mia
Setup automatic payments on all cards. You can still pay manually, but this guarantees you will never be late.
I do this and it works fine for me, but it also puts some folks at risk for an overdraft.
The new web site really does stink.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hate It!

Unnecessary changes that reduce the functionality.

How can I "star" a card so it would always be on the first screen when I log in?

Why do banks force the desktop version to look the same as on a mobile device by eliminating a lot of details?

I agree on the missing of sidebar that at a glance you immediately see the balance on each card you owned. To me it is a very handy feature.

The "Shop Small" section inserted right between the summary and the activity details is Super Annoying Advertisement! There is no way to get rid of this crap.

Also gone is the Next Statement Close Date, as well as Payment due date from the card's home page.

What are these website designers thinking? Not only it is Form over Function, but the Form itself is UGLY.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 13, 2017 at 12:07 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nomii
The major flaw in this website is the missing sidebar which showed all your balances and due dates at a glance..

The sidebar is not gone, just not accessible from the Home view:

Login to americanexpress.com
Click: Statements & Activity (or Payments, or Account Services or Benefits)
Click: My Accounts
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia

So it used to be ONE click, now it is TWO clicks to access what used to be a very useful feature.

The sidebar is there alright, but it does not respond at all when you click on a card!

This is akin to Chase when they made the personal log in to become mobile app style for any access method. But the feedback is bad enough they stopped tinkering the business log in. Now it has been well over a year since they changed the personal site, the business site remains intact with the PLAIN but VERY USEFUL layout - clean and concise without having to click around.

There is no work around with the AMEX update I am afraid.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia

I wouldn't count on the old interface being accessible in this way for very much longer. I fully expect them to push out the horrific new UI to all pages in the near future.

Agree with all others, I see nothing beneficial from this update and the complete screwup of the sidebar is a major loss.

I encourage everyone to send feedback to Amex about this.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I don't mind the re-design. Seems cleaner than the old one, and I haven't yet been unable to do anything I could do before.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to the website, and while it's not as bad as the Chase "desktop=mobile" website, it can't remember my default card, and keeps going back to the wrong card when I hit "home". Very confusing.

Luckily, they asked me to review the website on this visit, so on all the "getting around" and "finding stuff" i gave them very low marks, and in the comments at the end asked them to bring back missing features like ability to choose which card is your default and ability to see all your cards in a drop-down with current balances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.