New AMEX Website

Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Is anyone else now being asked to enter a "re-authentication key" each time they log in? I never used to get that - but now can't log in without it.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Is anyone else now being asked to enter a "re-authentication key" each time they log in? I never used to get that - but now can't log in without it.
What is this "re-authentication key"? Do you mean 2-factor authentication, aka 2-step authentication? If so, are you sure you didn't enable it by accident? And does it assume your 2nd authentication method (such as email or text message), or does it ask you each time? (If it assumes it, it must be because you signed up for it, because otherwise how could it know which method would work for you?)
Old Aug 5, 2017, 3:34 pm

Order in which cards are presented on website

Is there any way to change which card shows up as the first card when you log into Amex's website? The card that shows up first for me is one I never use.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LWT3
Is there any way to change which card shows up as the first card when you log into Amex's website? The card that shows up first for me is one I never use.
Not at this time on the new website. They took that ability away close to two months ago when the new website was debuted in mid-June. They may add that capability back eventually, but they don't seem to be in any hurry to do it.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 6, 2017 at 7:41 pm Reason: grammar
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Not at this time on the new website. They took that ability away close to two months ago when the new website was debuted in mid-June. They may add that capability back eventually, but they don't to be in any hurry to do it.
thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of temporarily missing Offers moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lems-here.html
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What is this "re-authentication key"? Do you mean 2-factor authentication, aka 2-step authentication? If so, are you sure you didn't enable it by accident? And does it assume your 2nd authentication method (such as email or text message), or does it ask you each time? (If it assumes it, it must be because you signed up for it, because otherwise how could it know which method would work for you?)
Where does one enable 2-factor authentication on Amex's website?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
To my knowledge American Express does not offer this. However, they do offer something (by telephone only) that I do not recognize:

• Personal Security Key
The Personal Security Key is one of several authentication measures we can utilize to ensure we are conducting business with you, and only you, when you contact us for assistance. If you would like to set up or change your existing Personal Security Key, simply call us at 1-888-654-0019.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...otect-you.html

...I do not think this is what TravelinSperry reported.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:54 am

Personal Security Key is an expanded version of "mother's maiden name", and customers can't opt-out of this feature. If it worked as intended, this would actually be a great time-saving authentication aid. Unfortunately, it's rather buggy and can also be a nuisance. For example, I've never changed my key, but the system may "forget it" while I access some cards and not others. Sometimes I can't add new accounts to an existing login b/c the system stops recognizing my key.
IME the quickest method to end those issues is to call that number (888-654-0019) and "reset" the key to the same one I've always had.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't mean to imply to imply it was possible. (I know I've seen it come up automatically on the Barclay website sometimes when my laptop is accessing their website from a hotel instead of from home. But that's of course another bank.) I was just trying to figure out what TravelingSperry may have meant, but since I got no reply from TravelingSperry to date, I (and all of us, apparently) still have no clue.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Probably not related, but as a fun fact:
www.americanexpress.com (credit cards) does NOT offer 2-factor.
personalsavings.americanexpress.com (banking) DOES offer 2-factor.

The two above sites can be linked to a single sign on, which means you can effectively bypass 2-factor on the banking side by just logging in through the credit card side.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.