Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I have a couple of questions

1) The insider fares found on the website are for AA only correct? And that is a different program?

2) I have a Personal Platinum and also I also a have a Business Plat. Do I Have to charge the fare on the Business Platinum to get the 35% pay with points rebate?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Valveking
I have a couple of questions

1) The insider fares found on the website are for AA only correct? And that is a different program?

2) I have a Personal Platinum and also I also a have a Business Plat. Do I Have to charge the fare on the Business Platinum to get the 35% pay with points rebate?
I think the Insider Fares can be for several airlines, but I actually find mine to be predominantly for Delta. I do have Delta chosen as my airline for points rebates and fee credits. But maybe it's more about what routes we each search and who the bigger carriers are on those routes?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:41 am

Insider Fares are on AA, AS, and DL when using pay with points in full at AMEXTravel.com.

AMEX Plat Travel agents can also sell AA Insider Fares on the phone for cash with a $39 booking fee per person.
Useful if short on points.
Unsure if same applies to AS, DL Insider Fares.

AA Insider Fares discount close to 10%. AS, DL about half that.

No reason now to put charge on personal plat instead of business plat when using pay with points.
There are no points earned for a full pay with points transaction now.
Never heard of a denial of 35% rebate if using personal plat.

ps9a likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:09 am
Suspended

Wait. The fares are the same at Amextravel.com as when calling? I had thought that calling was required for the lowest rates.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by QtownDave
.... The fares are the same at Amextravel.com as when calling? ....
Insider Fares are not the same as IAP fares.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by mia
Insider Fares are not the same as IAP fares.
It is all very confusing. Which program typically has lower fares?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:32 pm

1. Login to your AMEX Plat card and price your desired ticket using the AMEXTravel.com booking site.
Insider Fares will be shown (if you have sufficient points to cover).

2. If you are traveling internationally, call or chat to AMEX Platinum Travel.
Ask them for the lowest price including IAP.

book whichever is better.
af fp and Statman like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:29 pm

Data point: 6%, $3000 to $2820 incl fee on DL JFK-LIS
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by af fp
Data point: 6%, $3000 to $2820 incl fee on DL JFK-LIS
Did you also check Amextravel.com to see the difference?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I am looking to book 4 OneWorld RTW tickets in Biz through AA. Is there any way to do this through AMEX, shaving 10% off that bill would be substantial. It's obviously a very complicated itinerary, so i'm not sure how that would work. Anyone tried to book RTW tickets through the Plat desk?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
AA is does not participate in IAP, but American Express seems to have a separate deal with them:

Booking AA via AMEX for less than aa.com?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Just returned from a roundtrip IAD-LHR-JNB in upper class Virgin Atlantic. Z class cost was about $4300, Platinum Travel Service Cost was about $3800 plus the $39 booking fee.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I did some dummy searches on the amex booking site and it seemed to be showing me prices like 2x what kayak was showing for the same flights, am I missing something?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I did some dummy searches on the amex booking site and it seemed to be showing me prices like 2x what kayak was showing for the same flights, am I missing something?
The Amex booking site does not show the discounted IAP fares. You need to call Amex Platinum Travel and speak to rep to price the IAP fares.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I got a nice 7% off a BA F fare with AA segments today. Pretty happy with the outcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.