Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Hi,

I just got the personal platinum card so pardon my ignorance... but it seems that basically, you have to call to know the price they would give? There is no online search engine or anything? So how does anyone know if a ticket is "better" or not? Do you guys all search a route before yourself, and then call to compare the price?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:52 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin
... search a route before yourself, and then call to compare the price?
Correct. Telephone only.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Hi,

I just got the personal platinum card so pardon my ignorance... but it seems that basically, you have to call to know the price they would give? There is no online search engine or anything? So how does anyone know if a ticket is "better" or not? Do you guys all search a route before yourself, and then call to compare the price?
Yes, I choose to check routes ahead of time. In part so I can see how good the price is, but also because if there is a specific route I have in mind I can feed it to the agent for pricing.

By the way, as a data point for the thread, back in November I flew to Berlin on DL/KL in business. The IAP came in at ~$4300/person. I ended up with a Delta Vacations package for $3250/person including a Westin hotel. So remember that IAP is a good benefit but might not always be the best for your routing. (Also, AAvacations exists for Oneworld).
zip10001 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion
Hi,

Yeah, I generally know the exact flight that I want and when I call I give them the exact dates and flight numbers, managed to get a $600 discount (that is compared to the best price I could find for that particular flight either through the carrier site or flight search engines) on a delta flight to Paris that way.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:49 pm

Not much of a discount program. Called for 3 Business to BKK,: AMEX price 20k their program carrier. China Southern Price 11,4K on a nice A380 and that price is on the AMEX Travel on-line site. Still a worthless program.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Called for 3 tickets on PE from LAX-CMN. Amex came in 10% below direct purchase from Air France.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:45 pm

lax-cdg-vce-cdg-lax, IAP offers approximately 12.5% discount.

my question is, do i get 5X point if i pay with my personal platinum for airfare booked with IAP over the phone?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
I booked a CX PE ticket, which was pricing out at $1951 on Priceline. I was able to buy it with IAP for $1704 + $39 booking fee, so a savings of $208 or 10.6%.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
lax-cdg-vce-cdg-lax, IAP offers approximately 12.5% discount.

my question is, do i get 5X point if i pay with my personal platinum for airfare booked with IAP over the phone?
Yes. It does look a bit ambiguous from the website but I can confirm that you do get 5X points with IAP.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
Yes. It does look a bit ambiguous from the website but I can confirm that you do get 5X points with IAP.
thanks. the rule says you get 5x points for airfare purchased on amextravel . com (plus the phone agent didn't sound too convincing either), so I was worried that I only get 1x point if I book over the phone for the IAP discount.

what is the merchant name appearing on Amex statement for IAP booking made over the phone?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:40 am

the personal platinum does not say 5x only for airfare purchased on amextravel.com
rather, it says "5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel"

relevant posts in this this thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29151564-post179.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28902559-post147.html

thanks. the rule says you get 5x points for airfare purchased on amextravel . com (plus the phone agent didn't sound too convincing either), so I was worried that I only get 1x point if I book over the phone for the IAP discount.

what is the merchant name appearing on Amex statement for IAP booking made over the phone?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
the rule says you get 5x points for airfare purchased on amextravel . com
That's wrong.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA
What's the wait usually like when calling into the IAP?

I'm trying for the first time and I've already been on hold for a full hour with no estimated time given.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:55 pm

I've got two separate charges: one for the ticket that just reads "American Express", and the other "AMEX Travel Agency" for the $39 charge.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by chrisremo
What's the wait usually like when calling into the IAP?

I'm trying for the first time and I've already been on hold for a full hour with no estimated time given.
Hmm. When I called them twice last summer I was connected instantly to an agent.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.