Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by SFO777
With Pay With Points, there is no way that the credit will appear next year. Indeed, your points offset typically credits immediately once the charge is posted. Check your card activity. You should see a $16,000 charge and then an $11,000 credit. And your MR point balance should be reduced by 1,100,000 points. Your accountant may have helped you survive an audit but if he/she is suggesting that you can take a $16,000 deduction while at the same time getting a mileage credit for most of that, you may want to seek a second opinion. As an aside, unless you have a Business Platinum card and get a 35-50% points rebate, a 1 cpm per mile redemption rate is terrible.

I just can't wrap my head around anyone spending $8,000 for BA Business Class, one of the worst products on the planet. Even $8,000 for BA First Class is way too much. Yes, I know your trip is time sensitive but it's not like you are trying to get to some third world backwater village with only one daily flight. There are literally dozens of ways to get to DUS and will still be 8 or 9 months from now.
Yea - I was curious and plugging in dates in October 2018 and i can't even find more than 5k per person with many much less than that....
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just can't wrap my head around anyone spending $8,000 for BA Business Class
Ditto.

There would be so many other ways to book this at half the cost (or less) for a better product, using either cash or points. Just one example, I see LH all month long around $5K.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:56 am
Suspended

With Pay With Points, there is no way that the credit will appear next year. Indeed, your points offset typically credits immediately once the charge is posted. Check your card activity. You should see a $16,000 charge and then an $11,000 credit. And your MR point balance should be reduced by 1,100,000 points. Your accountant may have helped you survive an audit but if he/she is suggesting that you can take a $16,000 deduction while at the same time getting a mileage credit for most of that, you may want to seek a second opinion. As an aside, unless you have a Business Platinum card and get a 35-50% points rebate, a 1 cpm per mile redemption rate is terrible.

I just can't wrap my head around anyone spending $8,000 for BA Business Class, one of the worst products on the planet. Even $8,000 for BA First Class is way too much. Yes, I know your trip is time sensitive but it's not like you are trying to get to some third world backwater village with only one daily flight. There are literally dozens of ways to get to DUS and will still be 8 or 9 months from now.
yikes. I posted only to confirm that the program works and there is decent savings to be had

first off, nobody suggested that my accountant said any such thing other than to spend spend spend THIS year instead of next. I checked online and the big charge is there but no credit. Yet. May come today or tomorrow, I don't know nor do I really care. But it was not immediately. And yes, I have a Business Plat.

Unlike some, I don't chase or think much about the points. I would still have the card even if they gave no points. The million plus was amassed over serveral years so I used them.

My outbound is Oct 21 from PHL and return is Oct 27. I normally just check AA and BA as they are the carriers I fly most. I also did a quick check with one of the travel site, don't remember which one, just to see if I'm missing anything major and if memory serves there were cheaper options but with very long travel times or more segments.

That said, if you guys can find much better rates without the long layovers then I don't mind learning what to do better next time.

I've flown BA Business many times and First a very few times and thought they were just fine. But then again my needs may be different than yours. I want the shortest time traveling, a bed, some food and as little hassle as possible. In the past I did play the miles game, waiting for upgrades, chased status, etc. luckily these days I can afford a less stressful experience which is well worth it for me. But that's just me.

i didn't know about your service until now so maybe next time I'll give it a try. Merry Christmas to all. We are off to a Mexican beach flying AA business on what I'm sure was a overpriced ticket for a crappy product but it's a direct flight so it's well worth it for us

Last edited by QtownDave; Dec 23, 2017 at 5:23 am
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how much more was F?
BA mostly high on 27th for some reason

LH says "Cityline" and also not cheap
unfortunately PHL has less options than NYC and WAS
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by QtownDave
My outbound is Oct 21 from PHL and return is Oct 27.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

Yes there's an issue with the European connections on the 27th. BA requires a 10 hr stopover at LHR on the return for the $5K fare on those dates, but if you move the return by one day, better schedules are available. EI is under $3K (for lie flats and a better product than BA), but again a lengthy DUB stopover on the return on that specific date. LH drops to $5.2 if you move the return one day either direction. And "Cityline" is just the regional carrier for the FRA-DUS segment. Just like UA/AA/DL use regional carriers like Skywest within the US.

I personally would consider it borderline criminal to pay $10K for BA J
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
how much more was F?

F was 2K more on BA.com but 4K more via Amex.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee

Yes there's an issue with the European connections on the 27th. BA requires a 10 hr stopover at LHR on the return for the $5K fare on those dates, but if you move the return by one day, better schedules are available. EI is under $3K (for lie flats and a better product than BA), but again a lengthy DUB stopover on the return on that specific date. LH drops to $5.2 if you move the return one day either direction. And "Cityline" is just the regional carrier for the FRA-DUS segment. Just like UA/AA/DL use regional carriers like Skywest within the US.

I personally would consider it borderline criminal to pay $10K for BA J
Back in the day I would have considered a day here or there and would have amused myself with very long layovers. Today? No thanks. No way I’m not defending the 8K fare but like I said I’m lucky to have the option. Again, our total out of pocket is around 5K for the two tickets but I still would have paid if no points were available.

When we were with Star Alliance it was nice to do PHL-FRA-DUS in relative comfort at a reasonable price.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Back in the day I would have considered a day here or there and would have amused myself with very long layovers. Today? No thanks. No way I’m not defending the 8K fare but like I said I’m lucky to have the option. Again, our total out of pocket is around 5K for the two tickets but I still would have paid if no points were available.
No, your total out of pocket was not $5K, it was $5K and 1.1 million MR points... which could have been used to buy 15 one way LH First Class award tickets.
FYI, with a little research and creativity, you could have purchased PHL-DUB-DUS on 10/21 and DUS-FRA-PHL on 10/27 for under $4,200 per person, and sub 2 hour connections each way.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:07 pm
Suspended

No, your total out of pocket was not $5K, it was $5K and 1.1 million MR points... which could have been used to buy 15 one way LH First Class award tickets.
FYI, with a little research and creativity, you could have purchased PHL-DUB-DUS on 10/21 and DUS-FRA-PHL on 10/27 for under $4,200 per person, and sub 2 hour connections each way.
Good thing I'm fine with disappointing people. But do post information on that creative routing and I'll keep it in mind for the future.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:37 pm

Good thing I'm fine with disappointing people.
We're just dumbfounded at the unnecessary waste of a very large sum of money. For one of the worst long haul business class products offered by any major carrier.
jinglish likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
We're just dumbfounded at the unnecessary waste of a very large sum of money. For one of the worst long haul business class products offered by any major carrier.
Ha! Worlds worst huh? Just don’t let the AA guys hear that

Anyways, as nana use to say only those who were part of the earning can be part of the spending. LOL. Seriously, I’m here to learn so if that amazing rate mentioned above is real then it was well worth the time to know of a better way.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ha! Worlds worst huh? Just don’t let the AA guys hear that

Anyways, as nana use to say only those who were part of the earning can be part of the spending. LOL. Seriously, I’m here to learn so if that amazing rate mentioned above is real then it was well worth the time to know of a better way.
AA biz on 777s is really pretty nice - probably my top business choice from LAX to LHR.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
AA biz on 777s is really pretty nice - probably my top business choice from LAX to LHR.
i thinks so too. But first on BA787 I thought was good too so don’t go by me
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:37 pm

Lufthansa Group (Austrian, Brussels Airlines, Lufthansa, and Swiss) added to IAP as participating carriers.
747FC likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Hi,

I know that AMEX waives the $39 booking fee for Centurion card members. I'm curious if anyone with both a Centurion and Platinum card (in their name, of course), has been able to have CTS book a flight under the IAP, but charge a Platinum card?

The goal, in my example, is to accrue the 5x points for charging to a personal Platinum but save the $39 fee. It's $39, so not the end of the world (but given the low value of the ticket I'm looking at, negates much of the IAP discount), I'm more curious and wanted to check if others have been able to do so before I call AMEX. In the past, I've had a few AMEX agents hassle me about charging a non-Platinum/Centurion card for an FHR reservation (despite the T&C's specifically noting that the AMEX just needs to be in the Platinum/Centurion cardholders name).

Thanks,
Troy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.