Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:43 pm

Someone tell me if I'm missing something. I just booked business class tickets through IAP from RDU-CDG for 2 adults and a lap infant for $5032.92 (adults) + $327.06 (infant). According to google flights, list price is $13,977 booked through Air France. (https://goo.gl/flights/p6Uq)

edit: Just checked my tickets and the fare classes are I and Z.

Last edited by rutiene; Jul 12, 2017 at 8:11 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:11 am

I think something weird happened to my post. I can't seem to get it to show up. I got a crazy business fare yesterday through this somehow. RDU -> CDG nonstop roundtrip for 2 adults came out to $5,032.92 (with flatbed seats) Cheapest I could find on ITA Matrix is: $9,843.52.

Fares were I and Z class, same as found on ITA Matrix.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by rutiene
Someone tell me if I'm missing something. I just booked business class tickets through IAP from RDU-CDG for 2 adults and a lap infant for $5032.92 (adults) + $327.06 (infant). According to google flights, list price is $13,977 booked through Air France. (https://goo.gl/flights/p6Uq)

edit: Just checked my tickets and the fare classes are I and Z.
You're not missing anything. Both the old program, as well as the new one, occasionally have steals.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
You're not missing anything. Both the old program, as well as the new one, occasionally have steals.
Thanks. I was so mindblown last night that I was sure I had just fallen for a trick or something.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:22 pm

AirFrance LAX-Tahiti (PPT) nonstop in business class roundtrip. Quoted $3000 (a discount of $500). Wide availability throughout.

After paying with points and hopefully a 50% rebate, and crediting this trip to alaska as mvp gold (~18000 miles?), the net cost is ridiculously low.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'm so confused! Help me understand please. Why would Amex want people to be calling in to get discounted fares when you can get discounted/insider fares on the Amex travel website itself?
So, as I am business Plat, if I find what I think is a good fare on the Amex travel website and I call in, are you saying I will likely get a better price (if on the "right" airline)??
And if I wanted to then use my MR points to pay for it I can?
And I will also get the 35% back in those points???
Or will I only get the 5X points for paying for a flight...or do I get all of these???
This makes no sense so please tell me where I am going wrong!!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Fellow travelers: These new benefits appear to be great, and I'm considering getting a Plat. Card. I tried testing the benefits out by calling into Plat Travel, but they said they could not do a dummy booking without having my Plat Card number.

Stymied, I'm left with getting a card and then testing it out. Does anyone know how long I would have to try the card out while resting the option of cancel and getting annual fee refunded?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
... getting a card and then testing it out. ...
Read here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-one-year.html
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by cece4
I'm so confused! Help me understand please. Why would Amex want people to be calling in to get discounted fares when you can get discounted/insider fares on the Amex travel website itself?
So, as I am business Plat, if I find what I think is a good fare on the Amex travel website and I call in, are you saying I will likely get a better price (if on the "right" airline)??
And if I wanted to then use my MR points to pay for it I can?
And I will also get the 35% back in those points???
Or will I only get the 5X points for paying for a flight...or do I get all of these???
This makes no sense so please tell me where I am going wrong!!
Rest assured you're not going insane.

Amex is all over the map when it comes to convenience and usability of services. Sometimes it's very fluid. Other times... well... not so easy.

The IAP web site lists participating airlines. Additionally, data points in this thread suggest that the average discount is somewhere between 10 - 15%. But yeah, you'll need to have a list of preferred flights ahead of time, and you'll want a cup of coffee at the ready while you're on the phone.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
they really got to put these fares online somewhere somehow. With OTAs I can often save 10-20% off intl. business fares right out of the gate ... so I really want to see what Amex offers when shopping for flights and not call in and have them manually price 3-6 options just to discover they are not any cheaper than directly with the airline.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by cfischer
they really got to put these fares online somewhere somehow. With OTAs I can often save 10-20% off intl. business fares right out of the gate ... so I really want to see what Amex offers when shopping for flights and not call in and have them manually price 3-6 options just to discover they are not any cheaper than directly with the airline.
+1

But ... what OTA's save 10-20 percent off of international J?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by 747FC
Fellow travelers: These new benefits appear to be great, and I'm considering getting a Plat. Card. I tried testing the benefits out by calling into Plat Travel, but they said they could not do a dummy booking without having my Plat Card number.

Stymied, I'm left with getting a card and then testing it out. Does anyone know how long I would have to try the card out while resting the option of cancel and getting annual fee refunded?

Many thanks.
Send me a PM with your route and dates. I don't mind calling to get you a routing quote. I had a friend do the same for me prior to enrolling.
Also, the prices are much better in a hub. A DL quote I had from LAX was $850/pp less than PHX, which is a huge delta for a one hour flight even in F.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by cfischer
I wouldn't be surprised if the airlines explicitly refuse to allow it to be online. I've dealt with a "Minimum advertised price" requirement on some other things I've purchased ("call for best rates").
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Gig103
Send me a PM with your route and dates. I don't mind calling to get you a routing quote. I had a friend do the same for me prior to enrolling.
Also, the prices are much better in a hub. A DL quote I had from LAX was $850/pp less than PHX, which is a huge delta for a one hour flight even in F.
So kind of you! I just sent you a PM. Mahalo!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Even before this was rolled out, I found that there was a discount of 5-8% on DL business class flights for a number of years. I booked this on numerous occasions and never had an issue.

This new program is great though - signifcantly higher savings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.