Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyerwma
I seem to be in the minority on this, but I see this change as a major devaluation.

I would have a pair of fully-refundable business class tickets.

Under the new program, this prices out at about a 10% discount (slightly more) to the quoted fare. So now I would pay approx. $4300 (so $900 more) for [non-refundable] tickets.

So lose/lose on the $ and non-refundable front.
No, you're not alone on this. Along with the loss of Lufthansa as a partner, the "free companion" ticket being dropped is a big shift. Having a fully refundable booking has saved our bacon on more than one occasion. The savings use to be better a decade ago on these too, so maybe that was a factor.

I see more airlines are offering altered refundable pricing now (i.e. Lufthansa offering everything back up to $500 per leg for a little bit more up front), so maybe that's a decision point for the change.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:37 am

Has anyone managed to book Cathay fare class W or R with this? Would be amazing if we could use our upgrade awards.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: LH Senator, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Has anyone tried to call them about business class on intra European business class?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by swaigiux
Has anyone tried to call them about business class on intra European business class?
The program only deals with flights originating in the United States.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by flyerwma
I seem to be in the minority on this, but I see this change as a major devaluation.

In the past, I would find discounted Z fares that would qualify under the old program. As an example, $2500 USA-EUR on Air France.

Under the old program, it would be $2500 for the first passenger, and then about $900 in taxes for the second. But the IAP fare was fully refundable. So for $3400 (or $1700 per person), I would have a pair of fully-refundable business class tickets.

Under the new program, this prices out at about a 10% discount (slightly more) to the quoted fare. So now I would pay approx. $4300 (so $900 more) for [non-refundable] tickets.

So lose/lose on the $ and non-refundable front.
I agree that it is a loss, when it comes to flexibility. Better to lose mileage earning on the 'freebie' than the price of one or two tickets!

For what it's worth though, some IAP fares include $0 change fees, and/or refund allowances. But it isn't a guaranteed benefit so still a loss. For example, a JAL route I flew BOGO @ $7k+$0, is now $6k. Great for the solo traveler, but now $5k more expensive and I didn't ask about the fare basis to see if it was one of the flexible tickets I just mentioned.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Is there anyway to find the prices online or you HAVE to call in?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
To receive discount, the purchase of the qualifying First, Business, or Premium Economy Class ticket/s on a participating airline must be made over the phone through American Express Travel (Platinum Travel Service, Business Platinum Travel, or Centurion Travel Service) and paid in full with an American Express Card in the U.S. Platinum Card Member’s or U.S. Centurion® Member’s name.
I believe part of the agreement between the airlines and the consolidator is that the rates will be unpublished (i.e. not available for competitors to study, unless they want to hire people to call in.)
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by mia
I believe part of the agreement between the airlines and the consolidator is that the rates will be unpublished (i.e. not available for competitors to study, unless they want to hire people to call in.)
I was surprised today to see how much I had to go through to get a price. They needed my full credit card number and mothers maiden name. So ... competitors calling in won't work unless they have a plat card.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:55 pm

Just want to share another success story of the Premium Economy program:
CX quotes a 2018-April flight SFO-HKG-CTS-HKG-SFO at $1812, AMEX offered it at $1568 ^^
Statman, julianm and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Exclamation

Just wanted to chime in.

Was looking at booking a BA trip to Europe from LAX return. Found a fare but AMEX couldn't give a discount! Spent 45min on the phone with the agent and had to be placed on hold multiple times to figure out why there was no amex discount. Apparently there might be a limit on how low the ticket can be discounted if its already been discounted by BA ie in this case an "I" fare.

Im worried that say if there is a great BA fare sale and we try to book via AMEX that there will be NO discounts at all!

Devaluation indeed
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
Success: JFK MEX JFK

Called in to PTS about 2 J tickets for JFK MEX JFK. Delta was pricing out at $885.58 for my dates on their website - nonstop on their own metal or codeshares with AM.

PTS quoted me $735.58 for the same flights (Delta metal or codeshares with AM) with the IAP discount (not including $39 fee). Snagged JFK MEX on the AM 788 flight and back on the DL metal flight. Considering this is a 2090 mile flight each way I am quite pleased with the fare.
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Air New Zealand J Fare

I just got off the phone with PTS and they quoted me a J Fare that would save over $1600 for two over booking directly with the ANZ. Very impressive.
C17PSGR and Statman like this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Question from a friend, since I've never done it with IAP... Can we do open jaw? He's interested in a trip on BA (maybe DL) that goes exUS-BUD, then TXL-US, as he will use the train along the way. He's not a Plat cardholder yet but is considering it, especially for the IAP perks to fly in the premium cabin.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Question from a friend, since I've never done it with IAP... Can we do open jaw? He's interested in a trip on BA (maybe DL) that goes exUS-BUD, then TXL-US, as he will use the train along the way. He's not a Plat cardholder yet but is considering it, especially for the IAP perks to fly in the premium cabin.
I don't see why IAP wouldn't apply though your friend would likely have to book the entire itinerary through the Amex travel rep.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:59 pm

Called for a dummy booking today, PHX-CDG for a friend (who is considering the Plat card)

* AF premium economy next May, two passengers, and it was $1909.56/person instead of $2078.46... A discount of 8% per passenger.

* Delta business class was about $3700 (I didn't write down the exact amount), compared to Delta.com's price of $4444, which is a much nicer 15% discount
Statman and jediwho like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.