Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:28 am

login to amex and go to your plat card home.
then click to travel.
then, search for lax-jfk in j a few weeks out to see inside fares on the airlines i mentioned (for instance)
you’ll only see the insider fares if you have sufficient points to cover
jeepie likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Colin
login to amex and go to your plat card home.
then click to travel.
then, search for lax-jfk in j a few weeks out to see inside fares on the airlines i mentioned (for instance)
you’ll only see the insider fares if you have sufficient points to cover
Those insider fares are only available if booking with points?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:39 am

answered in #341
QtownDave likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Can someone post a screenshot of where I access the chat feature? I'm at americanexpress.com/travel and I can't find it for the life of me.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Just got a Chat quote for a Premium Economy R/T SEA-BCN... BA.com shows $1155 - Amex rep offered $1079 (plus the $39), so a pretty sad discount but the service was quick and clear and relatively fast. I have a Chase BA VISA that gives 10% so I won't be using Amex this time, but I'll always check again when I'm booking premium seats.

Last edited by huge; Feb 4, 2019 at 6:37 pm Reason: clarifying
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:43 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
If flying British Airways Plat IAP is worthwhile

I found the agent fairly knowledgeable but I needed to guide them through exactly what I wanted. It is a complex trip. They listened and found a decent price. The most important thing of value to me was the ability of the TA to book seats without charge. That service alone saved us about $570 dollars plus or minus on the trip. They charged the $39 x 2. It was also useful to use some MR points to bring down the price. We also got 5x the points for the cost of the trip.

Overall experience excellent. I will use them again.
Statman, DoctorORD, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:52 am
Suspended

While I see BA on the list as a partner, does anyone know if discounts are also available on AA - since they are not listed.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Separate arrangement:

Booking AA via AMEX for less than aa.com?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Ah, thank you! I now remember that I knew that.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:52 am

Request

Hi,
i have a request if it is even possible if someone would be able to check pricing on specific iternary iah -blr on Qatar airways from July 17- aug7 business class as Qatar website is quoting 3246$ so wanted to see how much discount I would get through iap and then based on that I can then apply for Amex platinum card .

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:22 am
Suspended

Saved a bit over $1500 total on three business class tickets on AA to Europe and about $200 on a Hertz rental.

As before, searched for the exact flights we wanted and then called Amex. Other than them not saving my details in my profile from a previous booking and having to add two new ones it was a pain free process.

Paid for about half with points.
akcae likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by QtownDave
Saved a bit over $1500 total on three business class tickets on AA to Europe and about $200 on a Hertz rental.

As before, searched for the exact flights we wanted and then called Amex. Other than them not saving my details in my profile from a previous booking and having to add two new ones it was a pain free process.

Paid for about half with points.
Could you tell me which number you used? And any magic words? I went through this recently and it was very painful, seemed to take five minutes to get a price for one specific date and routing, then would start all over again if I wanted something different. They seemed to be unable to just provide the lowest fare for a given date/routing, said they had to go through them all. Very disappointing.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Called IAP to inquire about a one-way HNL-CTS, and gave them three itineraries. They were able to offer a 12% discount in J on JL. This price reduction on two tickets would have more than of offset the annual card fee on my Plat.

They were unable to offer any price differential on two NH itineraries.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Governator
Could you tell me which number you used? And any magic words? I went through this recently and it was very painful, seemed to take five minutes to get a price for one specific date and routing, then would start all over again if I wanted something different. They seemed to be unable to just provide the lowest fare for a given date/routing, said they had to go through them all. Very disappointing.
Normal number. 800-553-9497

It's only the 2nd time I've used it and instead of just wanting the lowest price I also want the routing / time of my choice which in this case was non stop. So I tell them up front which flight / dates I wanted and they found it pretty fast. When I saw that they were about $500 less than AA.com for each ticket I just booked it.
Governator and jeepie like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
They were unable to offer any price differential on two NH itineraries.
That's because NH is not one of the IAP airlines, whereas JL is

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.