Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:52 am

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this just yet. But can tickets for companions on the same flight be bought in different classes? IE if two of you want to fly business and two want premium economy.

ToC says must be flying the same itinerary but does not mention classes.

(Amex Platinum Personal member)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:07 am

this is no longer a companion program - you can buy just 1 ticket
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Colin
this is no longer a companion program - you can buy just 1 ticket
Are we talking about the same thing?

===

Get exclusive access to lower fares for you and your travel companions when you book through the expanded International Airline Program.

More Choices
•Savings available on International First, Business, and Premium Economy Class tickets on over 20 participating airlines every time you book through American Express Travel

•Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on both refundable and non-refundable fares
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:27 am

perhaps your question is can you use this program if the AMEX Platinum cardholder is not on the reservation? don't know the answer.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:35 am

Sorry maybe my question was not understandable.

If I am buying tickets for myself and three other people, on the same flight, on the same itinerary - can they be in different classes.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:39 am

a single reservation requires all passengers to be on identical flight segments and in identical booking class.
this applies broadly to all commercial aviation ticketing.

ergo, you would have a 1st reservation in J for 2 and a 2nd reservation in Y+ for 2.

the former is, of course, no problem. AMEX Platinum cardholder plus another passenger.

the latter is only a problem if AMEX IAP has a requirement that the AMEX Platinum cardholder be on the reservation.
whether this reservation is for 1 or 2 passengers is not relevant.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Sorry maybe my question was not understandable.

If I am buying tickets for myself and three other people, on the same flight, on the same itinerary - can they be in different classes.
I don't see why it wouldn't be able to use the IAP program provided that you are on the same itinerary.

Why don't you call Amex Plat travel services and let us know what they say? I am curious myself.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
For reference:

The discount applies to the base airfare of the ticket/s. All ticket/s are subject to government imposed taxes/fees and airline-imposed fuel/security surcharges/mandatory non-refundable fees. All ticket/s purchased through the program will have all valid fare rules and restrictions apply. Tickets will only be refundable if the ticket purchased is in a refundable fare class. Non-refundable American Express service fee of $39 (per ticket) applies to each ticket purchased through the program and itinerary change; this ticketing fee is waived for U.S. Centurion® Members. Airlines reserve right to modify fare rules/program participation prior to booking. Tickets are non-transferable or endorsable. To receive discount, the purchase of the qualifying First, Business, or Premium Economy Class ticket/s on a participating airline must be made over the phone through American Express Travel (Platinum Travel Service, Business Platinum Travel, or Centurion Travel Service) and paid in full with an American Express Card in the U.S. Platinum Card Member’s or U.S. Centurion® Member’s name. Available for U.S. Platinum Charge Card Members and U.S. Centurion® Members only, and excludes Platinum Credit Card Members such as Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Card Members who are not also U.S. Platinum Charge Card Members or U.S. Centurion® Members. Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways. Available service classes in First, Business or Premium Economy are subject to airline availability. Card Member and up to seven additional First, Business or Premium Economy Class passengers must travel on same air itinerary. Not combinable with any other promotion and may not be available on all participating airline’s code-share partners, i.e., flights marketed by the ticketing airline but operated by its code-share partner. Participating airlines and benefits are subject to change. Limited time airline flash sales and private sale fare offers are excluded.
Slightly ambiguous sentence construction may well permit different cabins for other members of the party.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
IAP Question

When you book a flight through the IAP does it count as buying directly from the airline, or does it count as a third party booking? Because I have the 20k MR point offer for purchasing a flight from KLM, but I also found a great deal for business class for just 2440 to Sweden. I'd like to get the 20k MR points, so does anyone know if it will count towards the 1000$ spend requirement for the 20k MR points?

Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:23 pm

likely no double dip w/ IAP and KL AMEX Offer.

i ticketed lax-ams j under iap for cheap.
posted to AMEX statement as AMEX Travel.

further, the ticket issued on 006 DL stock.
the AMEX charge on the statement mentions Delta in the details, not KLM.

so, two ways such a charge won’t trigger the offer
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:26 am

The rebate is great but somewhat offset by the loss of the 5X benefit. Also I find the agents slow and not very knowledgeable. They must have some turnover. They pretty much need to be baby-sitted through the process, I would much prefer an online process. Although I find the AmEx travel website to also be five years behind compared to airlines and other OTAs .
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Joe1690
Bedelman, Thank you for the advice. Just this morning when I reached out to again have my name changed I reached a sympathetic agent who did reissue the ticket with my correct name and she waived the additional fee but unfortunately she was not empowered to issue me a credit for the fare difference. However, she did put me in contact with the team that does handle these types of issues and they told me it would take 6-8 weeks to investigate. Seems like a rather long time but I am hoping that they are able to resolve. Otherwise I will explore other options.
For what it's worth, I never put my middle name on any tickets, yet it's on my passport and have never had a problem for 30+ years.
Presumably it is in my Global Entry and TSA, but not on ticket.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Colin
perhaps your question is can you use this program if the AMEX Platinum cardholder is not on the reservation? don't know the answer.
You cannot, the cardholder must travel.

Originally Posted by af fp
The rebate is great but somewhat offset by the loss of the 5X benefit. Also I find the agents slow and not very knowledgeable. They must have some turnover. They pretty much need to be baby-sitted through the process, I would much prefer an online process. Although I find the AmEx travel website to also be five years behind compared to airlines and other OTAs .
Why was the 5X benefit lost? The T&C state "eligible air purchases are purchases of scheduled flights made directly with a passenger airline or through American Express Travel" (bold mine). And I'm surprised you had a poor experience with the call center; I have always had very good representatives when calling the Platinum travel desk.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by af fp
Originally Posted by Gig103
Why was the 5X benefit lost? The T&C state "eligible air purchases are purchases of scheduled flights made directly with a passenger airline or through American Express Travel" (bold mine). And I'm surprised you had a poor experience with the call center; I have always had very good representatives when calling the Platinum travel desk.
I just checked my statements and can confirm that you do indeed get the 5x bonus points when booking through this program.

I spoke to two agents on my recent booking (I needed to hold before purchasing): the first one was fantastic; the second...sounded new to making reservations but still nice enough.

Now I do agree that the Amex Travel website is not the best but I always check it anyway, just in case there's a deal.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:48 pm

So far I am seeing business class and first class discounts of around 10-15%. Nothing for premium or regular economy (which are often actually more expense with Amex IAP).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.