Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay with Points Southwest Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Pay with Points Southwest Airlines

I apologize in advance if this post doesn't warrant a new thread.

So I made a minor mistake today in trusting just one source on the internet while booking a Southwest flight with the intentions of using Membership Rewards so I could utilize the 50% rebate. I read to book Southwest using points I would need to book via Southwest website and call into Membership Rewards after the charge posted. Followed the steps and was surprised when I was told by the CSR that transfer ratio was not 1:1 with Southwest. Then was told that if I had booked by calling Amextravel I would be getting a 1.43:1 or if I book through Southwest I would get 1.66:1. On top of that, I was told if I were to pay cash, I would get 5x via Amextravel by calling and booking with my Busines Platinum.

Last edited by farmerandy; Jun 5, 2017 at 2:14 pm Reason: add on
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by farmerandy
... if I were to pay cash, I would get 5x via Amextravel by calling and booking with them.
This would depend on the card that you hold.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
This would depend on the card that you hold.
Thank you Mia, fixed and added.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:34 pm
mia

... Southwest flight with the intentions of using Membership Rewards so I could utilize the 50% rebate
The rebate is now 35% (Depending on when your account was opened, your account may still be at 50%, but the published terms now reference the lower rate.)

The terms provide these instructions for airlines that cannot be booked online at amextravel.com:

If you select Spirit Airlines, Southwest Airlines, or AirTran Airways, to receive your 35% Airline Bonus you must call Business Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-553-9497.
if I had booked by calling Amextravel I would be getting a 1.43:1 or if I book through Southwest I would get 1.66:1
Sorry, I do not understand these numbers. Pay with Points is a two step process. In the first step you pay for the ticket with money, and offset the charge at the rate 100 points per dollar. In the second step, a month later, 50% or 35% of the points are redeposited.

If the agent you spoke to is telling you that you need to redeem more than 100 points to offset one dollar because you booked elsewhere I would call again and ask where the higher redemption rate is published.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
The rebate is now 35% (Depending on when your account was opened, your account may still be at 50%, but the published terms now reference the lower rate.)

The terms provide these instructions for airlines that cannot be booked online at amextravel.com:

Sorry, I do not understand these numbers. Pay with Points is a two step process. In the first step you pay for the ticket with money, and offset the charge at the rate 100 points per dollar. In the second step, a month later, 50% or 35% of the points are redeposited.

If the agent you spoke to is telling you that you need to redeem more than 100 points to offset one dollar because you booked elsewhere I would call again and ask where the higher redemption rate is published.
The Agent said 100 points per dollar is no longer valid. It is now 166 when booked directly with Southwest with cash initially, or 144 when booked by calling Amextravel. I did a HUCA and was told the same thing, but I will try once more and specifically ask for published rates.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:15 pm
mia

The Agent said 100 points per dollar is no longer valid.
That's the part that doesn't make sense. The amount they refund has been reduced, but nothing was announced about the original rate of 100 to offset $1.00.

I also found this, but it doesn't mention a rate:

Are all airlines available on the American Express Travel Online site?

American Express Travel Online offers the majority of domestic and international airlines. There are some airlines, however, that are not offered on the site. While we cannot book these airlines for you, we have solutions for how you can redeem points for these airlines if you choose.

To redeem your Membership Reward points for Southwest Airline tickets, simply book your ticket directly with Southwest Airlines and then redeem your points after the charge posts via Your Charges online at: membershiprewards.com/yourcharges or through the American Express App on your mobile device (iPhone and Android platforms only). You have the ability to schedule a point redemption for eligible pending charges through the American Express Mobile App. You must have enough Membership RewardsŪ points to cover the entire cost of the charge with Your Charges.

If you are looking for any other airline and it is not shown in your search results on the website, please call American Express Travel Online at 1-800-297-2977 .
https://faq.amextravel.com/app/answe...2/kw/southwest
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
That's the part that doesn't make sense. The amount they refund has been reduced, but nothing was announced about the original rate of 100 to offset $1.00.

I also found this, but it doesn't mention a rate:

https://faq.amextravel.com/app/answe...2/kw/southwest
Tweeted @askamex and they responded that Southwest Airlines is no longer a partner.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:35 pm
mia

Tweeted @askamex and they responded that Southwest Airlines is no longer a partner.
Southwest Airlines hasn't be a transfer partner since 2010:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-1-2010-a.html

...but that's not what you are asking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.