Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX exclusive USA issuer of Hilton Cards [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by schrute
Has anyone tried signing up for the Hilton AMEX card (if you don't have it and already have the Citi card)? I have the Citi Hilton, but concerned I won't get the AMEX Hilton bonus in the future, so I thought about just signing up for that card (having two).
There doesn't seem to be any problem and I have the bonus. The question is whether to dump the Citi card now.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
There doesn't seem to be any problem and I have the bonus. The question is whether to dump the Citi card now.
You have the AMEX bonus?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
You have the AMEX bonus?
The initial spend bonus for a new AMEX Hilton card.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:33 pm

Some of Ascend benefits already active?

I paid my state taxes on Dec 31 to with my Hilton card. That automatically generated a free weekend night certificate email. I was grumbling to myself why did Amex have to wait until Jan 18th to switch over but it was a nice surprise to get the certificate email. For those who will point out that there are better credit cards to charge taxes, my other motivation was to reach the Diamond status. And now if I can use this cert at a high value property, it will be all worth it to have used the Hilton card for taxes.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Guess I closed my Citi card too late. I received the new Amex HH card yesterday to replace Citi HH card. I already have the no fee Amex Hilton one along with a Surpass Card, which will be replaced by Ascend eventually. I’m not sure I want to activate this new card.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
Guess I closed my Citi card too late. I received the new Amex HH card yesterday to replace Citi HH card. I already have the no fee Amex Hilton one along with a Surpass Card, which will be replaced by Ascend eventually. I’m not sure I want to activate this new card.
When you go to activate, you get this. Not sure if a new account is really opened yet or not. I hope not.

Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:26 pm

If I cancel the card now while under Citi, would it transfer over on the 18th and would AMEX see any "record" of it?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
If I cancel the card now while under Citi, would it transfer over on the 18th and would AMEX see any "record" of it?
According to post above yours, if you cancel before January 30, Amex will not activate new card.
In my case, how odd to send me a card, when I cancelled the Citi version in November.

Last edited by eajusa; Jan 14, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:29 pm

According to post above yours, if you cancel before January 30, Amex will not activate new card.
In my case, how odd to send me a card, when I cancelled the Citi version in November.
Yeah, they sent me a new card, too. I really hope they didn't open an "account" if I don't activate. Don't want it to affect Chase 5/24. Though I think the opening date should remain the same as the Citi opening date was, in which case it wouldn't affect me.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:16 pm

I cancelled early Jan and was sent card also. Hope Their records show that I cancelled.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:37 pm

I also received the Amex Hilton card even though I canceled the Citi Hilton no annual fee card in early December. I spoke to an Amex rep and explained I didn't want to lose the chance to get the bonus points for opening a new card in the future (once per lifetime). She said if I don't activate the card it won't show up as an active account with American Express. She gave the impression it will not be in their system. I hope she is right, but I guess we will only know for sure when people who canceled their Citi card try to apply for the Amex one.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:56 pm

No details yet on the new Aspire card which is supposed to come out on 1/18?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Plat, AA Gold :(
Also received one Amex Hilton Ascend. I canceled my Citi Hilton Reserve in late Dec.
If I don't activate it, what will really happen? annual fee?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
No details yet on the new Aspire card which is supposed to come out on 1/18?
Just hazarding a guess..... that we'll have to wait for the release date for details on the new card
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Got a huge runaround by both Citi and Amex right now. Called Amex to ask them to cancel my 2 converted cards I got in the mail today. Said they couldn't and I should call Citi. Called Citi and asked them to do the same. Said they couldn't and should call Amex. So...has anyone had success in canceling these new conversions? If so, how? Amex rep said that on Jan. 30, they will automatically be activated, whether I confirm them or not, so I need to cancel them by the 29th to avoid auto-activation, at which time they will show up in Amex's system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.