Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX exclusive USA issuer of Hilton Cards [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by Need
It seems there is very little reason to not pick the Aspire card over the Ascend. Even though I already have Priority Pass from CSR, so it has no value to me, the $250 resort statement credit, $250 airline incidental, and free weekend night could easily offset the $450 fee.

In the past years, the free weekend night cert is worth at least $200 for me. And if the resort statement credit can be used toward resort fee.. that's just $35 x 7 = $245... one week at a resort will take care of that. And now with so many airlines charging baggage fee and charging $25/35 to upgrade from Basic Econ to Econ... the incidental should be easy to claim too.
Only if you use them. Plenty of years that I don't make it to a Hilton "resort" so I can't justify getting that credit every year. Also Airline incidentals - what informed points chasers actually pay baggage fees anyway? I never have. Next year I plan to fly SWA, or Delta (hold the business gold card AF waived first year, keep cancelling and renewing) or international - so no baggage fees should apply. I don't see "prepaying" $450 for incidental credits as that valuable to me since there are other free ways to avoid them. Chase CSR blanket travel credit is SOOOO much more valuable, IMO.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
... actually pay baggage fees anyway? I never have. Next year I plan to fly SWA, or Delta ....
Assuming the Hilton airline fee reimbursement benefit is implemented the same as American Express Platinum or Premier Rewards Gold there will be no need to incur baggage or other fees. The credits can be claimed buying gift cards or similar.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-dl-only.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...west-only.html
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:38 am

Kinda disappointing that the weekend night certificate will require $15k spend instead of $10k on the Ascend vs the Citi Reserve. I guess I'll cancel my Reserve and maybe eventually get the Ascend. Don't wanna give up the opportunity for a signup bonus by having it transferred over.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by penner42
Kinda disappointing that the weekend night certificate will require $15k spend instead of $10k on the Ascend vs the Citi Reserve. I guess I'll cancel my Reserve and maybe eventually get the Ascend. Don't wanna give up the opportunity for a signup bonus by having it transferred over.
Actually I was going to give up spending the $10K for the cert because the same $10K (on ebay fee) would have gotten me 30000 UR points in my Ink Preferred.

30000 UR points is worth about $400 to $500 to me
30000 HH points is worth $150

So even though the weekend night is free, I lost money unless I can use it for a $250+ per night room.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:36 am

Actually I was going to give up spending the $10K for the cert because the same $10K (on ebay fee) would have gotten me 30000 UR points in my Ink Preferred.

30000 UR points is worth about $400 to $500 to me
30000 HH points is worth $150

So even though the weekend night is free, I lost money unless I can use it for a $250+ per night room.
Yeah, it's not for everyone. I generally have no trouble using it on a $250+ room. (Generally stay at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront when the Mets are in San Diego. )

You should double-check that your Ink Preferred is still getting you 3x on eBay. Lots of reports that it has stopped working.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:51 am

Yeah, it's not for everyone. I generally have no trouble using it on a $250+ room. (Generally stay at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront when the Mets are in San Diego. )

You should double-check that your Ink Preferred is still getting you 3x on eBay. Lots of reports that it has stopped working.
Ebay Seller Fee still working as of last month. I had been spending the weekend cert on $250+ room too. The best one I got was for Conrad Tokyo at $650+ a night. But since I got Plat at Marriott and SPG, I had been diversifying my stays. I had to use my last cert 60 miles away from home for a $200 room just so it won't expire.... check in at 4pm, eat dinner, watch a play, eat breakfast next morning, check out and drove home! The valet parking was $55 + $5 tip LOL so it was not really free.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by cplush
If you're a hilton loyalist the new aspire looks like a no brainer. a free weekend night, $250 resort credit and $250 airline credit more than offset the $450 af.
It's a lot narrower than a straight-up $250 airline credit: applies only to "incidental" charges.

And now with so many airlines charging baggage fee and charging $25/35 to upgrade from Basic Econ to Econ... the incidental should be easy to claim too.
That depends a lot on status, what other cards you hold (& their benefits), travel patterns, etc.
bbriscoe34 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by beltway
It's a lot narrower than a straight-up $250 airline credit: applies only to "incidental" charges.
I use it on my plat, nice for the occasional extra legroom seat or alcohol on AA.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:51 pm

I just got my Surpass, since the 125k offer came out. The documentation that came with it actually calls it the Ascend. It seems the Surpass will become the Ascend, not stay as a separate card. If you have the Surpass and want to be eligible for the Ascend bonus in the future, might want to get on canceling that ASAP so it doesn't get converted to the Ascend and make you ineligible for that bonus.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:21 pm

I just got my Surpass, since the 125k offer came out. The documentation that came with it actually calls it the Ascend. It seems the Surpass will become the Ascend, not stay as a separate card. If you have the Surpass and want to be eligible for the Ascend bonus in the future, might want to get on canceling that ASAP so it doesn't get converted to the Ascend and make you ineligible for that bonus.
I'm not seeing the logical connection there. If the two names are considered the same product now, why should it be any different after the official renaming? Also, was the forced replacement part of any official announcement? If AmEx history can offer any clues, they often allowed older product versions to remain in use, after the launch of updated versions.
Finally, new AmEx anti-gaming rules should be considered when cancelling relatively new accounts.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
There are several threads about the new Hilton cards and the Citi conversion, so if this is the wrong thread,mods please move to a more appropriate thread.

I just received notice that as of 1/18/18, the fee free Hilton card will no longer offer the 500 Online Booking Bonus.
I have not received my recent Surpass statement, but hopefully that is not the case with Surpass also
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
does anyone know when it dropped from 100k to 75k? for the surpass card?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by aceman
You can still get 125k. Exclusively from The Points Guy, I think. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/125...-surpass-amex/
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by aceman
IIRC, the 100k offer was valid until Oct 4, 2017.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin
There are several threads about the new Hilton cards and the Citi conversion, so if this is the wrong thread,mods please move to a more appropriate thread.

I just received notice that as of 1/18/18, the fee free Hilton card will no longer offer the 500 Online Booking Bonus.
I have not received my recent Surpass statement, but hopefully that is not the case with Surpass also
that is the case with the surpass. its disappointing, but i'll take the FTF removal in exchange (costs me more money personally haha).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.