Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Definitely a nobody with Amex

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Talking Definitely a nobody with Amex

Ok, so have 3 Amex cards. MR Everyday, BCP, HH basic.

Need a airline affiliated Amex card since I have maxed out others, ie, Citi AA, Chase WN, and Chase UA for about two years.

Florida traveler so DL is definitely next. Have had AMEX DL Gold already so, no bonus there.

The next step seems to be the next DL Amex up. Question: how to go about it.

I do not benefit from the HH Basic at all (Have Citi HH). Other than maybe having my son referred and receiving 10K HH points in June, I don't like the card even hanging around.

Don't benefit from MR Everyday either. Does closing either of these accounts hurt overall credit history/age? I don't think so but things do change.

Before I take the plunge for the DL Amex with annual fee, should I just close those other HH and MR cards first and transfer CLs to BC Preferred? Or use them in reconsider negotiations for that DL card?

I am also getting ready to apply for Barclay Arrival and BOA TR (hopefully if I can have two open TRs at same time) same day. Should I go ahead and apply the Amex same day, too?

Polite advice appreciated. Thank you!
Old May 26, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I don't get it? If you want the card apply for it. I don't see why you'd need to close your Everyday or Hilton card.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:00 pm

I'm kind of confused by your recent posts jan_believes, you have 1400 posts here but these are super basic questions you're creating new threads for.

If you only have one MR card, and you close it, those points won't be retained. Beside that, close or open however many cards you want. I don't think it's a stretch to say a large number of people here cycle through a dozen or more cards every year. There's really no negotiations to be had with applying for a new card, it's all automated, and even if you get declined and call recon, none of what you propose will matter. Time to read up, everything is on these CC boards
Old May 26, 2017, 6:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Do you have an indication that your combined credit limit across the three cards is the maximum that American Express will give you? If no, just apply for the Delta card. However, if you are at the credit cap American Express will arbitrarily move credit from one of the other cards to the new card. If you care _which_ card is reduced, you might close one or two first.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Talking

Thanks, Mia. Appreciate it.

I am not a heavy hitter like so many here but I have about $200k total credit lines spread across accounts. I remember a day when an app would be rejected just because the lender felt there was enough overall credit already allocated. Guess that dates me.

I have to admit it didn't occur to me that context, ie, that Amex might or might not have allocated "their" max CL amount to me. Looks like with them, I am in the lite category.

Just trying to get ready for the early June applications as the HPs start falling off. And, so many changes occur these days. Once I decide if I can refer someone for points on my HH account, I want to close it and use the CL for the Delta is the plan. I may have the option to transfer the CL to BCP and then ask for the Delta, also.

Thanks again. It's nice that you are still overseeing the forum here.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You may find this thread helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...le-2011-a.html
Old May 29, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
My last amex app they pulled some credit from one of my personal cards that i don't use to open my business card or actually to just give it a larger credit line. I figure I am getting near the ceiling with amex in terms of credit because of that and I had four credit cards with them and one charge card. Given that and the fact that I have had a couple other apps in the last 2 to 3 months I decided to close my blue cash everyday card since I haven't used it in like a year or two and I don't see a situation I will use it in the future. Hopefully that will give me some breathing room in terms of credit amex will extend and I can get an instant approval on the surpass card before the 100k offer disappears. So I get your concerns. Also I didn't want to raise even a minor possibility of an amex FR and have to deal with that. I'm at around 41k with all my amex cards and that doesn't include the card I just closed so I had close to 50k available credit with them in credit cards alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.