Wiki Posts
Search

IAD - DUS on 250k AMEX Points Business?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

IAD - DUS on 250k AMEX Points Business?

Hey all,

I'm trying to find a good route for 2 IAD->DUS June 24th to approximately July 17th (dates flexible). Amex points. 2 persons.

My old stand by (AirCanada) has almost $2k in taxes and fees.

Anyone have any better suggestions for ways to do business without giving them another $2k? I figured out I could (admittedly with a bit of pain) get there in coach for less than the fees.

Thanks for any help!
Old May 25, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not ideal but one suggestion:

FlyingBlue will run you 250k + $1.1k in fees. Not ideal but a little bit below your current $2k in fees. Dates are also not perfectly aligned (June 25th and July 20th are the only dates at the saver 62.5k level)

Looking at the Aeroplan website I'm seeing that it's ~$1881 CAD but at current exchange rates that's ~$1365 - still high but not $2k.

LH is the issue here - unless you can book with UA, you're going to get hit with fuel surcharges - you could explore ANA and book a roundtrip with them. You should be able to cost it out on their website to see how their fees compare to what Aeroplan is charging. They should be cheaper too at 88k per person roundtrip though they have stricter rules about who you can redeem for - if the other person is family / spouse it shouldn't be a problem but if a friend (even gf/bf - might cause problems though I haven't redeemed through them so I can't say for sure).

Last edited by Duke787; May 25, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As the OP is looking at using AMEX MR, we'll move this to the AMEX forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.