Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: Blue Business Plus, 2X ALL spend, cap $50k/yr. $300 Dell,FedEx,Docusign credit.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Please do not post referral offers or links in the thread or in this Wikipost. You may post offers (without links) in the dedicated REFERRAL THREAD.

TARGETED application link: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...us/index1.html

This is a link to a targeted 20,000 point offer for Blue Business Plus. The landing page shows an expiration date of 12.31.2017, however if you click [Apply Now] and then Offer Terms you see that the offer is valid until 12.31.2018. You will be required to login to apply. If you are not targeted the system will display an error: This offer is no longer available..."

Original application link (expired): https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/151/44960

Second application link (Expired): https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...card/151/44961
Print Wikipost

USA: Blue Business Plus, 2X ALL spend, cap $50k/yr. $300 Dell,FedEx,Docusign credit.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Again, as I said before, what the CARD act says is somewhat irrelevant. Yes, it says it doesn't apply. What i meant is that in practice this means that the restrictions on card account changes shouldn't apply to any business cards. But whether it applies to business cards is dependent on the bank interpreting the CARD act accurately (not on what the CARD act actually says), and it's clear than many banks have over-interpreted other aspects of the CARD act, and without having datapoints for every bank that issues business cards, I do not have faith that every single such bank realized that it doesn't apply to business cards.
Why would the bank interpret the CARD Act for more cards than they have to? It loses them money.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:03 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Why would the bank interpret the CARD Act for more cards than they have to? It loses them money.
Applying the same rules to all of their card products can save money in training, staffing, and compliance documentation. Also, the law refers to cards "used" for business purposes. Labeling something a "business card" may not be conclusive if a consumer complains to their regulator.

In any event we have established that it is possible to obtain a CLI in the first year. The personal vs business distinction does not seem to apply here.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:43 pm

How is the dispute resolution process (ease of paperwork, favorable outcomes, etc.) on AMEX Business cards ? I know in the past, AMEX has been very good to me with the SPG Personal card I used to have, but I've never filed a merchant dispute with their Business cards. I'm thinking about switching all purchases from my SPG Business to the Blue Business Plus once the SPG program as we know it ends.

Last edited by steve4; Jul 8, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Certain banks do a lot of stupid things that end up costing them money.

They presumably do these things because they don't realize it's costing them money until long afterwards.

Perhaps one the prime examples is idiot bank Capital One which didn't look into how frequent flyer programs and their affiliated credit cards actually worked, and thought it had invented the best thing since slices bread and promised 100,000 bonus points for a "status match" promo if you send them a one-page statement from your airline program showing that you have 100,000 miles (or more) in your airline aco.... from your airline credit card. It was only after they started the promo that they realized that airline program account statement (that fit on one page especiallly) don't break down credit card spend miles earnings vs other earnings, and so they were forced to amend the promo to say you only needed 100,,000 miles or more in your account statement, period. Of course, that made anyone with that many miles in their account sign up for the card, get that (poorly named) "status match", spend the $1000 on some travel, and then cancel the card. They surely lost money on this, just because they structured the promo to appeal to the wrong people (of course, they wanted to appeal to the people who feel they can't ever book a flight with the miles they earned from their credit card, but most of those people don't necessarily have 100,000 miles or more, and meantime most people who do have learned how to actually use real airline miles.

Then there's Citi who didn't realize that for about a year that their own (not the customer's) conversion from an AA World MC to an AA World Elite MC was confusing their systems to create a "loophole" of their 18/24-month anti-churning rules. Obviously, they had to give you way more AA miles than they intended.

Then, "ripped from the headlines", it cost not just the bank but several of its top officials that they didn't realize how much money it would cost Wells Fargo to encourage sales practices which resulted in bogus accounts being set up without the customers' knowledge.

While none of these examples have anything to do with CARD act, of course, it illustrates that making money is not always evaluated correctly at banks. (And in two out of those three examples, of course, it was to FTers' benefit that the bank lost money in FTers' favor .)
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Certain banks do a lot of stupid things that end up costing them money.

They presumably do these things because they don't realize it's costing them money until long afterwards.

Perhaps one the prime examples is idiot bank Capital One which didn't look into how frequent flyer programs and their affiliated credit cards actually worked, and thought it had invented the best thing since slices bread and promised 100,000 bonus points for a "status match" promo if you send them a one-page statement from your airline program showing that you have 100,000 miles (or more) in your airline aco.... from your airline credit card. It was only after they started the promo that they realized that airline program account statement (that fit on one page especiallly) don't break down credit card spend miles earnings vs other earnings, and so they were forced to amend the promo to say you only needed 100,,000 miles or more in your account statement, period. Of course, that made anyone with that many miles in their account sign up for the card, get that (poorly named) "status match", spend the $1000 on some travel, and then cancel the card. They surely lost money on this, just because they structured the promo to appeal to the wrong people (of course, they wanted to appeal to the people who feel they can't ever book a flight with the miles they earned from their credit card, but most of those people don't necessarily have 100,000 miles or more, and meantime most people who do have learned how to actually use real airline miles.

Then there's Citi who didn't realize that for about a year that their own (not the customer's) conversion from an AA World MC to an AA World Elite MC was confusing their systems to create a "loophole" of their 18/24-month anti-churning rules. Obviously, they had to give you way more AA miles than they intended.

Then, "ripped from the headlines", it cost not just the bank but several of its top officials that they didn't realize how much money it would cost Wells Fargo to encourage sales practices which resulted in bogus accounts being set up without the customers' knowledge.

While none of these examples have anything to do with CARD act, of course, it illustrates that making money is not always evaluated correctly at banks. (And in two out of those three examples, of course, it was to FTers' benefit that the bank lost money in FTers' favor .)
You mean like Discover's Apple Pay promotion where current earnings were doubled? Of course, on top of the current member's doubling that took place the first year already, so basically one earned 20% back on 5% categories and 4% back on 1% categories.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spend met on July 7th Thursday. Notice 20K posted dated July 8th. Statement not closes until July 23rd. Spend points of course no where to be seen, yet.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:47 pm

Successful product change to new 2X Blue for Business?

Has anyone been successful product changing to new 2X Blue for Business? Last month, I couldn't do it from the original Blue 4 Business. Would it work from Gold or Green business accounts?

Wait, can't product change charge card to credit one, right?

Last edited by Brussels; Jul 10, 2017 at 4:32 pm
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brussels
Has anyone been successful product changing to new 2X Blue for Business? Last month, I couldn't do it from the original Blue 4 Business. Would it work from Gold or Green business accounts?

Wait, can't product change charge card to credit one, right?
How long have you had your original Blue For Business?

Also, it's not a "new 2x Blue for Business", it has a new name, which is Blue Business Plus (there's no "for" in the new cards' name).

And indeed you can't product change form a charge card to a credit card, and I'm not sure if Amex would let you product change from a personal card to a business card.

I bet Amex will move some Blue for Business card owners to Blue Business Plus after a while (like they started moving some Blue card owners to Everyday a while after Everyday came out), without you necessarily even having to do anything But how soon that may start, that's tricky to figure out.

But it's a bit soon for that, perhaps, since people who applied for the Blue for Business card earlier this year may still have the 10x restaurant promo for a few more weeks, and may still have the 2x for everything promo for another half year, and IIRC there's a 30% annual relationship bonus on top of that (which this new card doesn't match). So it will be at least a bit over half a year before everyone will be better off with Blue Business Plus card over a Blue for Business card, depending on when they applied for the latter and under which offer.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

still no applications while they advertise on front page?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
still no applications while they advertise on front page?
Amex is accepting new applications for the card, there just isn't a sign-on bonus at present for the card.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:00 pm

Has anyone started to receive amex offers yet? I haven't seen an update on that in this thread in a while. Still nothing for me, after a couple of months.

(To add to the other datapoints, I got the 20k right after meeting the spend and the points for my first statement spend are posting just like every other card -- a little bit after the next statement closes.)
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by lkar
Has anyone started to receive amex offers yet? I haven't seen an update on that in this thread in a while. Still nothing for me, after a couple of months.

(To add to the other datapoints, I got the 20k right after meeting the spend and the points for my first statement spend are posting just like every other card -- a little bit after the next statement closes.)
Same for me - no offers, points posting quickly. For now I am going back to using my 2% cashback card
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Just got the 20,000 bonus points shortly after hitting $3,000 in spend. Love this card!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
There are ways to add AMEX offers to the Blue Business Plus. here's an article with the details:
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...business-plus/

I used twitter to add the Boxed offer to my card. ^
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:10 am

Min spend by posting date?

I had a rep tell me that to meet the 20k MR bonus I have to spend $3k within 92 days of account opening and the purchases must POST by the cutoff date.

My understanding of Amex signup bonuses has always been that the dads are driven by transaction date?

Would anyone pls chime in on this?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.