Amex DL MileageBoost changes

Old May 9, 2017, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Amex DL MileageBoost changes

Saw this on my statement for my Personal DL Amex Platinum which just closed:
You may receive a Miles Boost award based on your eligible purchases for the calendar year. A calendar year is from January 1 to December 31 regardless of when you open your Card Account. This means in your first year as a Card Member you may have fewer months to accumulate eligible purchases towards a Miles Boost award.

The Miles Boost award and the eligible purchases required to receive the bonus are shown below.
Annual Eligible Purchases ---- Miles Boost Award
$25,000 ---- 10,000 miles and 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles
$50,000 or more ---- An additional 10,000 miles and 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles

Some Miles Boost award restrictions
You can only get two Miles Boost awards for each Card account. In addition, if you have more than one Platinum Card Account linked to the same SkyMiles account, you are eligible for only two Miles Boost awards each year.
That last bit is new I think - i.e. if you have a Personal and Biz version you can't get a total of 40k MQM to max out - I'd never done it, but might be news to others... if not... just move along
Old May 9, 2017, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Where did it say this in your statement? Just looked at my most recent Personal Reserve statement and don't see it anywhere. Also don't see anything about that in any of the statements where I actually received MilesBoosts over the past year.

There are definitely people who double up by carrying personal and biz versions of these cards. I think there are even a couple FTers out there who carry 4 cards total - biz plat, personal plat, biz Reserve, and personal Reserve.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Haven't seen this before - I hold two Plats and a reserve. All of my boost thresholds hit this year.

If this is the case going forward, obviously, AMEX will face cancellations, as this was not in the language when we applied.

Edit: Checked my April Personal Plat statement and on AMEX website for terms/conditions - no language existed.

Last edited by SeaHawg; May 9, 2017 at 5:00 pm
Old May 10, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
Where did it say this in your statement? Just looked at my most recent Personal Reserve statement and don't see it anywhere. Also don't see anything about that in any of the statements where I actually received MilesBoosts over the past year.

There are definitely people who double up by carrying personal and biz versions of these cards. I think there are even a couple FTers out there who carry 4 cards total - biz plat, personal plat, biz Reserve, and personal Reserve.
This was the past page of the PDF for my statement that closed 5/8/17. In fact, I wasn't going to look at the PDF statement but there was a banner on the top of the statements & activity tag page saying "PLEASE VIEW YOUR PDF BILLING STATEMENT FOR IMPORTANT NOTICES ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNT."

Edit to add screen shot from statement PDF:

Last edited by levilevi; May 10, 2017 at 1:13 pm Reason: added statement screen shots
Old May 10, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by levilevi
This was the past page of the PDF for my statement that closed 5/8/17.
Interesting. Definitely doesn't appear on my April statement, but I'll keep an eye on it for my May one when it comes.

Last edited by mia; May 10, 2017 at 4:33 pm Reason: Prune quotation
Old May 10, 2017, 5:08 pm

Interesting. Definitely doesn't appear on my April statement, but I'll keep an eye on it for my May one when it comes.
I haven't had a Platinum statement since early April, but my May Reserve statement does indeed contain that language. This is interesting indeed. On the surface, it sounds like AMEX/Delta is cutting down the stacking from four cards theoretically to two - one Plat and one Reserve.

This changes the calculus somewhat, but Someone could theoretically cancel their Plat or Reserve if they have two and then get a reserve in their wife's name and gift MQMs.

One Plat, one Reserve, partner's Reserve and gift MQM, then gift gold status back to partner...
Old May 10, 2017, 5:10 pm

The language is not yet reflected on the AMEX website, though. This seems like a fluid situation.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

I'm wondering if Personal and Business versions will be considered differently, as they are for lifetime signup purposes, etc... i.e.. you are limited to the mileage boost on one platinum account per year... so... 2x on Delta Personal Platinum card and another 2x on a Delta Business Platinum card?
Old May 10, 2017, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I haven't had a Platinum statement since early April, but my May Reserve statement does indeed contain that language. This is interesting indeed. On the surface, it sounds like AMEX/Delta is cutting down the stacking from four cards theoretically to two - one Plat and one Reserve.

This changes the calculus somewhat, but Someone could theoretically cancel their Plat or Reserve if they have two and then get a reserve in their wife's name and gift MQMs.

One Plat, one Reserve, partner's Reserve and gift MQM, then gift gold status back to partner...
One Plat (20,000 MQMs), one Reserve (30,000 MQMs) and miles gifted from partner's Reserve card (30,000 MQMs) equals 80,000 MQMs, which is PM. This enables you to use your choice benefit to gift FO status (not GM) to someone.

To gift GM status, you must be DM, which requires 125,000 MQMs, although at this level you get three choice benefits (assuming you use your Reserve card for lounge access or decline that option--the regular nonaffilaited AmEx Plat charge card also gives lounge access when flying DL as well as a PP Select membership).

Last edited by mia; May 11, 2017 at 2:44 am Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One Plat (20,000 MQMs), one Reserve (30,000 MQMs) and miles gifted from partner's Reserve card (30,000 MQMs) equals 80,000 MQMs, which is PM. This enables you to use your choice benefit to gift FO status (not GM) to someone.

Right. I generally have 80-100k paid butt in seat miles to supplement.

So, in effect, as DM, I wouldn't even have to gift my wife gold status anymore as her flying (on pwm tickets w/my surplus miles + tickets booked w/AMEX MR pts) accumulate mqms and she would get spend waiver. Which would put her well over 50kmqm/$25k waiver

So, cancelling one plat and adding one res would be $255 more, but it would net 10k more mqms yearly, and free up my choice selection (no skyclub pass, or gifted gold necessary since we would both be res holders)

in essence, I could choose Ruc (pm choice),GUC $200 gift card, and one other (dm choices)

So net- $55 for 10k mqms and a bonus choice bennie

I know what AMEX/DL is trying to do, but in this scenario, Mrs. SeaHawg and I could theoretically come out ahead...

Does our resident economist agree?

Last edited by mia; May 11, 2017 at 2:46 am Reason: Repair quotation
Old May 10, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So net- $55 for 10k mqms and a bonus choice bennie

I know what AMEX/DL is trying to do, but in this scenario, Mrs. SeaHawg and I could theoretically come out ahead...

Does our resident economist agree?
That also requires something like $170k spend across all three cards. What's the opportunity cost vs putting (some of) it on other cards?

Might still be worth it, I'm just asking the question. It's all an academic exercise for me anyway as I currently don't have natural spend in that range (and I don't have the patience for MS).
Old May 10, 2017, 10:22 pm

That also requires something like $170k spend across all three cards. What's the opportunity cost vs putting (some of) it on other cards?

Might still be worth it, I'm just asking the question. It's all an academic exercise for me anyway as I currently don't have natural spend in that range (and I don't have the patience for MS).
Yeah, $170k spend is right. I guess it does kinda sound ridiculous outside of FT, but, thankfully that's about a month's worth of inventory at my business. I never really think I'm a high spender- just an efficient one haha!

Some people are happy doing word finds, sudoku, etc. to keep their minds energized. FF programs are like a puzzle to me that constantly morphs and changes. I guess 170k spend on a CapOne card could get me $3,400 in airfare or one J ticket haha!
Old May 11, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, $170k spend is right. I guess it does kinda sound ridiculous outside of FT, but, thankfully that's about a month's worth of inventory at my business. I never really think I'm a high spender- just an efficient one haha!

Some people are happy doing word finds, sudoku, etc. to keep their minds energized. FF programs are like a puzzle to me that constantly morphs and changes. I guess 170k spend on a CapOne card could get me $3,400 in airfare or one J ticket haha!
Nice! Certainly if I had a business where I could run actual purchases through CCs, I 100% would do that. I just meant that pure MS isn't my thing - the whole buying prepaid cards then using them to pay off the card you used to buy them scheme.

Recently I've been having to pay some big subcontractor bills and the first question I ask when I get the invoice is if they take CC. Has certainly gotten me to my 2017 MilesBoosts much quicker.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I wouldn't put business inventory on credit cards in wife's name unless she's an officer in the company.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't put business inventory on credit cards in wife's name unless she's an officer in the company.
What is SeaHawg is an AU on wife's account?

I occasionally put various work expenses on my AU card on one of Mrs. Lee's accounts if it's getting close to a min spend bonus or something. If we're ever audited, sure, it's not the cleanest paper trail. But the expense and reimbursement from my company is well documented and very legitimate, so I don't see how it could cause any issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.