Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX SPG [UK] - Opinions wanted plus signup bonus question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador

There's not a great deal on the interwebz about this card and some of the info is contradictory. For example, the HFP website (Head For Points) currently says that this card offers a signup bonus of 10K points if you rack up £1000 spend in the first 3 months. However, I can't find anything on the official Amex UK site about this, even in the FAQ.

Is there anyone on FT that is actively using or has used this card? The discussion in the last article devoted to it on HFP seems to be rather derisory (it's certainly a poor relation of the US version) and many are suggesting that it's about to be canned due to the MR merger. I was considering it as it seems like a good way to pick up Starpoints, which are so damned hard to acquire.

So if anyone from the UK can chip in on their thoughts regarding this card, and/or the signup bonus question above, that would be appreciated.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The card is still here https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...redit-card/cm/

The signup bonus is quite decent if you need to top up miles, or want to transfer to Marriott points.

It also offers double points for spend at SPG & Marriott hotels, but only until November this year.

The other perks are not really worth it, SPG Gold for spending £15k is a joke when you can get it for free with the Plat card. The Free Night award requires £25k spend and is only valid on the weekend at Category 1-4 properties.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Maybe my eyesight is bad but I still can't find any reference to the signup bonus on that page?

Agree with you that the other offers are useless. It's only the initial signup bonus that looked interesting (i.e. the one I can't find any confirmation of!).
Old May 6, 2017, 7:27 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Maybe my eyesight is bad but I still can't find any reference to the signup bonus on that page?
The signup bonus is listed twice on that page quite clearly:

Earn a 10,000 Starpoints ® bonus, enough for up to three complimentary nights.

Enjoy a Welcome bonus of 10,000 Starpoints, enough for up to three complimentary nights, when you spend £1,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:47 am
Original Poster

I don't see that - I must be being served a different version of the page.

I took screenshots and this is what I get.

http://imgur.com/Fu4Walh

http://imgur.com/7hafEWA
Old May 6, 2017, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Well, I solved it.

Those screenshots posted above were viewed in the Chrome browser (on OS X).

When I load it in Safari it shows the info about the Welcome Bonus. Weirdly, Chrome seems to have stripped out the lines mentioning the welcome bonus and kept the other stuff!
Old May 7, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Curious. I see both references using W10 in Chrome.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: Some, not all.
The first image has the header "Refer Friends. Get Rewarded" and then goes one to say "You'll receive 5,000 starpoints for each friend approved"...

Not sure how you'd get to that page unless you were logged into your Amex account and already had the SPG card.

For me the card's value is earning SPG points which are an easily convertible currency to Marriott or a variety of airline programs.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 21H21J
The first image has the header "Refer Friends. Get Rewarded" and then goes one to say "You'll receive 5,000 starpoints for each friend approved"...

Not sure how you'd get to that page unless you were logged into your Amex account and already had the SPG card.

For me the card's value is earning SPG points which are an easily convertible currency to Marriott or a variety of airline programs.
I didn't understand that either. I was logged into the site via my Amex Plat at the time but the page rendering is totally bizarre.

I've now got the SPG card anyway and your final point about Starpoints as a useful and flexible currency was also what swung it for me. Time to rack up that £1K spend now!
Old May 8, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by yurtripper
I didn't understand that either. I was logged into the site via my Amex Plat at the time but the page rendering is totally bizarre.

I've now got the SPG card anyway and your final point about Starpoints as a useful and flexible currency was also what swung it for me. Time to rack up that £1K spend now!
If you were to have a referral I believe you would have received 11k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.