Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Getting hotel Gold status and then using Amex Travel seem counterintuitive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting hotel Gold status and then using Amex Travel seem counterintuitive

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:06 pm

Re

One third scenario is I booked via delta vacations and my Hilton in Rome did honor all benefits . So my original post was asking because with other booking systems specifically deltavacations I had a different on site experience than amex travel
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:08 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've booked hotels (manly ZRH Hilton Airport) using AA miles*, via AA Vacation (hotel + flt), DL Vacation (hotel + flt), while I've never gotten Hilton points, I have gotten Diamond benefits: Executive floor, Executive lounge, breakfast.
AA pure hotel bookings are via Expedia--they list my address as Expedia's.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:20 am

You won't get benefits if you book though a OTA.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It's relatively well known that to obtain your hotel elite benefits you must book directly with the hotel chain in question (in this case, Hilton.) You can't book via a third party.

(There are exceptions but they are few.)
I've always called Hilton after making the reservation through a third party (work travel portal) to have them linked to my HH accounts. Always received benefits.

Same with Hertz and National.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Javier1704
.... third party (work travel portal) .....
Not all third party booking are treated the same. If Hilton sees your corporate travel portal as a traditional travel agency it may be treated differently than a booking made through an Online Travel Agency/Consolidator. This depends on the contract between the agency and Hilton, not on the technology used to make the booking.
Javier1704 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Jtwcarboy
It was two scenarios

one a flight plus hotel prepaid package via amex travel

othwer was just hilton prepaid hotel booking via amex travel

i like the 5x membership points but don’t like loosing on site perks
As a general rule, use Amex Travel for non-chain hotels, or for brands like Four Seasons. The big brands (specifically Hilton) really incentive you to book direct. You may be able to get some benefits via a non-prepaid, Fine Hotels and Resorts booking, but that seems hit or miss nowadays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.