Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYTimes: "Amex, Challenged by Chase, Is Losing the Snob War"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by lepmd
As someone who falls between Gen X and Millennials (depending on different classifications based on birth year), I am loving my CSR right now and will cancel my Plat in July before it renews. I recently took a shopping/dining trip to France. I used the Plat to book one hotel with FHR months in advance but received the CSR the week before my trip. The Plat stayed in my wallet except for check-in to my previously booked hotel. We used the CSR for everything. Taxi fare was reimbursed with the CSR $300 credit. Even drinks at a nearby hotel were reimbursed. I haven't made use of the AmEx $200 travel credit in a couple of years. Checked bags are always covered if I'm flying internationally and/or in first/business. I'm not even sure if anyone I know uses that $200 travel credit anymore. The 3x points on dining is the best thing about the CSR for me. We had a few dinners at Michelin-starred restaurants; to get 3x points on those is outstanding. I even appreciate the 3x points when picking up take-out on my way home from work.

The only thing that would make me switch back to AmEx would be a better dining point option or if a card would offer extra points for shopping. I would've pulled out my AmEx at Chanel and Hermes if I would've received double points with AmEx for that. I ended up using CSR while shopping because I know that even my 1x points will be a better value when trading them in later with Chase rewards vs. AmEx.
If I may ask: What do you trade your Chase Ultimate Rewards points in for?

Travel, merchandise? Something else?

Regarding the $200 annual credit, I usually buy a couple of United Club passes (for when I am at an airport that does not have a Centurion), and the rest I end up using up on my domestic economy plus flights food and drinks.

I have had multiple high AF credit cards in the past, but could not justify more than 1. I got rid of the others and now just have the AMEX Plat.

I do still have the CSP and that is my go to (and only) card to earn Chase UR points.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
If I may ask: What do you trade your Chase Ultimate Rewards points in for?

Travel, merchandise? Something else?

Regarding the $200 annual credit, I usually buy a couple of United Club passes (for when I am at an airport that does not have a Centurion), and the rest I end up using up on my domestic economy plus flights food and drinks.

I have had multiple high AF credit cards in the past, but could not justify more than 1. I got rid of the others and now just have the AMEX Plat.

I do still have the CSP and that is my go to (and only) card to earn Chase UR points.
Of course. In the past, I've traded Chase UR (from my old CSP) for hotel stays and flights. I have used my AmEx MR for gift cards because flights and hotels are more expensive with MR than UR. When I need to book a flight or hotel, I compare UR vs. MR and Chase UR is always the better value by far. I have more AmEx MR than I'd like to admit because I always end up using the Chase UR option instead. I'll probably trade my last AmEx MR for gift cards with a good value (i.e. the few that are multiples of $50/5k points vs. $50/7143 points).
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lepmd
Of course. In the past, I've traded Chase UR (from my old CSP) for hotel stays and flights. I have used my AmEx MR for gift cards because flights and hotels are more expensive with MR than UR. When I need to book a flight or hotel, I compare UR vs. MR and Chase UR is always the better value by far. I have more AmEx MR than I'd like to admit because I always end up using the Chase UR option instead. I'll probably trade my last AmEx MR for gift cards with a good value (i.e. the few that are multiples of $50/5k points vs. $50/7143 points).
Best value for Amex MR points is to transfer to NH or SQ or BA and book premium flights with them. Most of the ways to redeem for GCs actually suck in terms of value/point.
https://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/red...maximum-value/

One good thing I can say about the Plat is that it gives 5 MR points/$ for airfare booked directly with airlines. These points convert to SQ KrisFlyer miles at a 1:1 ratio. Keep in mind that UR points also convert to SQ miles at a 1:1 ratio but the CSR only gives you 3 per dollar. So if you want to redeem points to fly in a SQ suite, then you are much better off booking your airfare with the Plat card.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by STS-134
Best value for Amex MR points is to transfer to NH or SQ or BA and book premium flights with them. Most of the ways to redeem for GCs actually suck in terms of value/point.
https://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/red...maximum-value/

One good thing I can say about the Plat is that it gives 5 MR points/$ for airfare booked directly with airlines. These points convert to SQ KrisFlyer miles at a 1:1 ratio. Keep in mind that UR points also convert to SQ miles at a 1:1 ratio but the CSR only gives you 3 per dollar. So if you want to redeem points to fly in a SQ suite, then you are much better off booking your airfare with the Plat card.
5X is also through amex travel.

While CSR only gives 3x, the trip delay protection make it worth charging on the card and I would note that UR->UA miles is the most flexible option. Only time you should charge airfare on the Plat is if you are specifically trying to accumulate MR for a specific goal (e.g. ANA), or buying ticket for someone else.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Explorer789
5X is also through amex travel.
I assume you mean hotel bookings? Airfare can be booked outside Amex Travel to earn 5X.

While CSR only gives 3x, the trip delay protection make it worth charging on the card and I would note that UR->UA miles is the most flexible option. Only time you should charge airfare on the Plat is if you are specifically trying to accumulate MR for a specific goal (e.g. ANA), or buying ticket for someone else.
Not every one of my trips requires trip delay protection. I like diversification and have both MR and UR. I pay with Amex Plat if I don't anticipate a need for trip delay protection. I have never had a need/opportunity to claim trip insurance, so...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: FB Gold
After my recent trip to Europe, I used the Amex less than I'd thought. I don't have the CSR but couple dings against it.

A lot of Italian places don't take Amex. I know it's a cash-heavy country, but a few non-chain hotels didn't accept it when I made the reservation. Same story when renting a motorbike. The contactless would have been great for the Malpensa Express in Milan......but they don't take Amex either. And since I have a Maestro Girocard, I used that card most of the time for restaurants and small purchases (or used cash). That, and my US Visa card both have PIN, so those were the default choice for automated booths. That left no space in my spending for the Amex.

Then in southern France, even larger stores like Decathlon didn't accept Amex, so out came the Maestro card again. The autoroute booth (Vinci) didn't like my Amex, so I put in my Mastercard. At the aeroport, I used the contactless for the gift shop, and the department stores took my Amex of course. But that was about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine using it in the US. But the surprisingly limited situations where it made sense to use the Amex meant it wasn't regularly a part of my wallet when I travelled.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mlin32
After my recent trip to Europe, I used the Amex less than I'd thought. I don't have the CSR but couple dings against it.

A lot of Italian places don't take Amex. I know it's a cash-heavy country, but a few non-chain hotels didn't accept it when I made the reservation.
Same story when renting a motorbike.
The contactless would have been great for the Malpensa Express in Milan......but they don't take Amex either. And since I have a Maestro Girocard, I used that card most of the time for restaurants and small purchases (or used cash). That, and my US Visa card both have PIN, so those were the default choice for automated booths. That left no space in my spending for the Amex.

Then in southern France, even larger stores like Decathlon didn't accept Amex, so out came the Maestro card again. The autoroute booth (Vinci) didn't like my Amex, so I put in my Mastercard. At the aeroport, I used the contactless for the gift shop, and the department stores took my Amex of course. But that was about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine using it in the US. But the surprisingly limited situations where it made sense to use the Amex meant it wasn't regularly a part of my wallet when I travelled.
Must be country to country. Rented a Ducati in Tokyo and no problem with AMEX.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Not every one of my trips requires trip delay protection. I like diversification and have both MR and UR. I pay with Amex Plat if I don't anticipate a need for trip delay protection. I have never had a need/opportunity to claim trip insurance, so...
Same here. Also, if one wants trip insurance, probably the best card is Prestige and not CSR.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Must be country to country. Rented a Ducati in Tokyo and no problem with AMEX.
No question, parts of Asia are much more likely to accept Amex than most of Europe.

I think it still has some cache in Asia, where in Europe, they aren't too keen on the word "American" in there, especially these days.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I assume you mean hotel bookings? Airfare can be booked outside Amex Travel to earn 5X.

Well I said "5X is also through amex travel", meaning it can be both directly on airline sites or through amex travel. Was trying to contrast that hotels must be booked through amex travel.

Delay insurance is worth having for holiday travel when chance of delays is higher. It's difficult to predict when it will happen, so better safe than sorry.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Well I said "5X is also through amex travel", meaning it can be both directly on airline sites or through amex travel. Was trying to contrast that hotels must be booked through amex travel.

Delay insurance is worth having for holiday travel when chance of delays is higher. It's difficult to predict when it will happen, so better safe than sorry.
Then why not get the Prestige instead of CSR as it has a much better trip insurance and also get the fourth hotel night free?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
Then why not get the Prestige instead of CSR as it has a much better trip insurance and also get the fourth hotel night free?
For so many reasons...

First, 3X dining/travel with CSR is far more flexible than 3X airlines/hotels and 2X dining for Prestige. Travel includes everything from parking to bus pass to rideshares. More purchases that trigger 3X, faster the points accumulate.

Second, TYP in general is harder to redeem for travel since it is mostly transferable to individual airline programs. UR->United is considered a better option because it basically gives you access to the entire in Star Alliance through a single program.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by jediwho
Would you want to deal with Citi rather than Chase? I certainly wouldn't. If you call into Citi, you can rest assured nobody will go out of their way to help you.

Citi couldn't even help me out by expediting a new accounts card to me before my vacation. When I called Chase to have my Amazon card expedited I actually spoke to someone who spoke English, knew what they were talking about, and was able to get my card via UPS within 3 days.

Second, TYP in general is harder to redeem for travel since it is mostly transferable to individual airline programs. UR->United is considered a better option because it basically gives you access to the entire in Star Alliance through a single program.
Not to pick on you, but United really isn't the best airline to fly with (in my opinion). I'd rather fly with American, Delta, or Jet Blue whenever I can. I found some great deals on American Airlines first class tickets (paid with points) from JFK to LAX, but it's too bad AMEX doesn't transfer to AA, and it's also too bad AA seems to be so heavily partnered with Citi Cards.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Apr 21, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Not to pick on you, but United really isn't the best airline to fly with (in my opinion). I'd rather fly with American, Delta, or Jet Blue whenever I can. I found some great deals on American Airlines first class tickets (paid with points) from JFK to LAX, but it's too bad AMEX doesn't transfer to AA, and it's also too bad AA seems to be so heavily partnered with Citi Cards.
Yes, agreed…the value of the point(s) has a lot to do with how you can use them. Chase points are very good for United. I have flown United many times, and try to avoid them now when I can. If SPG can transfer to AA, and AMEX Travel has special fares via AA, I'm sure AMEX could get a points transfer going with AA if they really tried. They should!

By the way, did anyone notice AMEX posted better than expected financial results this past week?

My view: every company has their ebbs and flows. AMEX can certainly do better (and should listen carefully to what the posters on these boards have to say), but I think it's still the gold standard in this market, though perhaps not relative to what it used to be.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by nyc2cal
My view: every company has their ebbs and flows. AMEX can certainly do better (and should listen carefully to what the posters on these boards have to say), but I think it's still the gold standard in this market, though perhaps not relative to what it used to be.
To be fair to AMEX, they still have the second or third best customer service in the industry. The top three are most certain Discover, AMEX, and Chase.

AMEX has been the only company to offer me 1,500 points for a simple inconvenience like not being able to ship me a contactless card ASAP, return money to me for not being happy with Pizza Hut, and reimburse me (price protection) for a wallet I bought about a month ago that broke so I can purchase a new one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.