Search

Thinking of getting the Platinum Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Thinking of getting the Platinum Card

I currently have use the Citi Executive MC. Citi announced today that after September they are going to axe just about every solid travel insurance related benefit. The card costs $475/mo and it includes AC membership. I spend about $60K/year on the card and that also gets me $10K EQM. With these benefits soon to be gone I'm looking.

So to book award travel with AMEX you need to transfer over points to a participating airline member? Europe destinations are important to me. What airlines participate? Is it a big deal to book award travel this way?

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express Platinum does not offer trip cancellation, interruption or delay insurance. American Express does offer extensive lounge access, but NOT for AA or UA clubs.

Originally Posted by enviroian
.... to book award travel with AMEX you need to transfer over points to a participating airline member?....Is it a big deal to book award travel this way?
After you transfer it's essentially the same as booking award travel through aa.com.

I suggest you begin by reading the Wikipost at the top of this thread, you will find links to a list of transfer partners, and a summary of how to travel on airlines that are not Membership Rewards partners:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l-program.html
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
American Express Platinum does not offer trip cancellation, interruption or delay insurance. American Express does offer extensive lounge access, but NOT for AA or UA clubs.

After you transfer it's essentially the same as booking award travel through aa.com.

I suggest you begin by reading the Wikipost at the top of this thread, you will find links to a list of transfer partners, and a summary of how to travel on airlines that are not Membership Rewards partners:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l-program.html
thank you for the information. I will follow that wiki post.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
The card costs $475/mo and it includes AC membership.
Wow, that's an expensive card - more than twice the cost of Amex Centurion!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Also keep in mind that you can transfer to many different programs but neither Chase (who still has trip insurance) nor Amex transfer to AAdvantage. You can transfer to BA Avios and some others Oneworld partners.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Gig103
Also keep in mind that you can transfer to many different programs but neither Chase (who still has trip insurance) nor Amex transfer to AAdvantage. You can transfer to BA Avios and some others Oneworld partners.
If transfer to AA is important OP should consider the Bonvoy cards.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:27 am
mia

Originally Posted by jags86

If transfer to AA is important OP should consider the Bonvoy cards.
The required spending to earn a mile is not competitive. AA miles can be earned with cards issued by Barclays -or- Citi and another card could be primarily used for benefits.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by mia
The required spending to earn a mile is not competitive. AA miles can be earned with cards issued by Barclays -or- Citi and another card could be primarily used for benefits.
Sure but that doesn’t seem the be the OPs primary concern.

If if he has the Marriott Boundless card and he spends $60k/yr he earns the equivalent of 50k AA miles. He’s giving up 10,000 miles to continue having trip delay insurance, etc.

He’s also saving $355 in annual fees but of course losing AA lounge access. But $355 is enough to buy around 6-8 AA lounge passes on eBay. Really up to OP to decide how much work he wants to put in.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:07 pm

If booking travel with points directly on the card's travel website, I find the Chase Ultimate Reward points more economical than Amex. As an example, if you use points to pay for a flight (rather than transferring to a FF program), a $1,000 flight will require ~66,666 UR points, where with MR you would be using up 100,000 points. You essentially get a 50% "bonus" with UR points.

The Platinum travel credit is also really cumbersome to use as you can probably tell by the multiple threads by airline on this forum. With the Chase Sapphire Reserve, anything that's coded as travel automatically gets credited, up to the $300/year benefit. So taxis, ubers, subway fare etc.

In case either of those are important to you, for me the CSR wins on both fronts. But there are plenty of other reasons to have the Amex Platinum. If you don't find what you need within the wiki, maybe post what you need the card to do and folks here can opine?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:35 pm
mia

Originally Posted by suziemay
....Chase Ultimate Reward points more economical than Amex. ....
This depends on the specific Chase card that you hold -and- the specific version of American Express Platinum to which you are making the comparison.

Sapphire Reserve offers a nominal $0.015/point travel booking rate, but there are ample complaints that the portal prices are inflated.

BUSINESS Platinum offers a 35% rebate on some airfare which nets out to $0.0154/point.

Both issuers have strengths and weaknesses that require the customer to carefully consider their individual requirements.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info! Yes, not per month per year.

I will miss the car rental insurance the most from Citi--what deval of benefits. It's like Doug Parker took over at Citi and didn't tell anyone.

Redeeming avios to fly AA is not primary for me. I'd rather redeem on ST or SA partners with much better availability to Europe than AA, IB (I don't include BA as an "award" ticket since an award ticket costs $1200 in fees).

90% of my AA flights leave DFW A, 10% C. I don't see myself going to D to get to the AMEX centurion club. Seems like a waste and from what I hear overcrowding is just as bad as the airline clubs now.

I"m just pissed at Citi. Ugh.

Thanks again for the tips.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Thanks for all the info! Yes, not per month per year.

I will miss the car rental insurance the most from Citi--what deval of benefits. It's like Doug Parker took over at Citi and didn't tell anyone.

Redeeming avios to fly AA is not primary for me. I'd rather redeem on ST or SA partners with much better availability to Europe than AA, IB (I don't include BA as an "award" ticket since an award ticket costs $1200 in fees).

90% of my AA flights leave DFW A, 10% C. I don't see myself going to D to get to the AMEX centurion club. Seems like a waste and from what I hear overcrowding is just as bad as the airline clubs now.

I"m just pissed at Citi. Ugh.

Thanks again for the tips.
It isn't free, but Amex has a "Premium Car Rental Insurance" that is $20 per rental and is primary both domestic and international. Better than $11-$20 a day from the car rental company, I have that as a backup.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
It isn't free, but Amex has a "Premium Car Rental Insurance" that is $20 per rental and is primary both domestic and international. Better than $11-$20 a day from the car rental company, I have that as a backup.
Most credit cards -- including many with no annual fee -- offer free secondary rental-car LDW coverage, which is primary for overseas rentals.

For a net cost of just $75/year, the U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve card offers primary rental-car LDW (even for U.S. rentals), four Priority Pass visits per year, and 12 GoGo Wi-Fi passes annually. But the card's points can only be redeemed for travel credits; there is no transfer to FFPs.

Edited to add: If the OP opts to apply for the Amex Platinum, there are reports of some people getting a 100K MR points bonus offer via cardmatch.com. (I was not one of the lucky ones.)

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 26, 2019 at 6:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.