Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I assume you mean the replacement card is thicker? Are both cards metal? Does either card have the Contactless feature?
Yes by fatter I mean thicker. My old one is not metal. Why would I want a metal credit card anyway?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you may have missed the craze on flyertalk and other forums/blogs/etc.

i would always agree they should provide options, but not always the case

is it possible to request plastic and or non contactless ?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by srodr
....Why would I want a metal credit card anyway?
The original metal card (American Express Centurion) was intended to be distinctive and exclusive. Now metal cards have become fashionable in the $400+ card tier with American Express, Chase, Citi et.al. issuing them. These are mass market products, which means individual preferences are not accommodated. You can order a supplementary Gold card on your Platinum account, and (as far as I know) it will be plastic, but you will still need the physical Platinum card for some types of lounge access.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mia
The original metal card (American Express Centurion) was intended to be distinctive and exclusive. Now metal cards have become fashionable in the $400+ card tier with American Express, Chase, Citi et.al. issuing them. These are mass market products, which means individual preferences are not accommodated. You can order a supplementary Gold card on your Platinum account, and (as far as I know) it will be plastic, but you will still need the physical Platinum card for some types of lounge access.
Well its just what I don't need for my already overstuffed, overweight wallet that hardly fits in my pocket. First my Saphire card got thicker and now my Amex is thicker and so much heavier. I just don't see the point of it.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:22 pm

I just don't see the point of it.
You really need to work harder on your DYKWIA attitude. Next time you use the card, try to clank it on the counter.
Statman, krazykanuck and JONJON451 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:48 pm

Well its just what I don't need for my already overstuffed, overweight wallet that hardly fits in my pocket.

Thin it out, mate. It's bad for your back! 3 credits, 1bank/debit, SEPTA Key (oyster equivalent), drivers license, HSA, contactless work badge, and insurance.
Diplomatico likes this.

Last edited by mia; Oct 4, 2018 at 4:49 am Reason: Remove animated image.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Get a slim wallet. You can easily fit all of your essentials without adding much weight or having the thickness of a foldable wallet.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:35 am

After over 2 years, my card is showing some serious wear and tear. Is it still possible to request a FULL metal card (not contactless, and also not the one that is a plastic/metal hybrid).

I'm talking the full metal Platinum cards like when they were rolled out in March 2017. Is this still possible?
Old May 27, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
After over 2 years, my card is showing some serious wear and tear. Is it still possible to request a FULL metal card (not contactless, and also not the one that is a plastic/metal hybrid).

I'm talking the full metal Platinum cards like when they were rolled out in March 2017. Is this still possible?
Yes, login to your account and go to Account Services - Card Management - Replace A Card.

There you will see the option to Request metal card:

Old May 27, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Mediahound
Yes, login to your account and go to Account Services - Card Management - Replace A Card.

There you will see the option to Request metal card:

Won't this method now automatically result in a contactless metal card (with the plastic backing) being issued, since those are now the default? I think this is what WantsAmex is trying to avoid.

Best to call and ask - the CSR may be confused as to why you don't want the latest and greatest standard that they have, but hopefully you get someone who knows what you're looking for and can at least tell you if it's possible at all. I've been asking on my last couple calls with them to see if they can issue me a plastic car and have been told that Amex doesn't offer plastic versions of their metal cards, unless I want a "sleeper" green card (which doesn't work for me because it tends to cause confusion at airport lounges, etc.).
Old May 27, 2019, 11:05 am

Yes, but there are two types of Metal cards now. One is the full metal (the original), the other is plastic on the front and back, with metal in between.

I'm wondering if I can request the 100% metal or if its just trial and error.

Edit - what gooselee said
gooselee likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
Won't this method now automatically result in a contactless metal card (with the plastic backing) being issued, since those are now the default? I think this is what WantsAmex is trying to avoid.

Best to call and ask - the CSR may be confused as to why you don't want the latest and greatest standard that they have, but hopefully you get someone who knows what you're looking for and can at least tell you if it's possible at all. I've been asking on my last couple calls with them to see if they can issue me a plastic car and have been told that Amex doesn't offer plastic versions of their metal cards, unless I want a "sleeper" green card (which doesn't work for me because it tends to cause confusion at airport lounges, etc.).
Per the screenshot, Contactless card is a different choice than Request Metal Card.
Old May 27, 2019, 11:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
Yes, but there are two types of Metal cards now. One is the full metal (the original), the other is plastic on the front and back, with metal in between.....
The contactless version is metal with a single plastic layer. The plastic is there to facilitate the contactless function. I am not aware of an American Express (USA) card with two plastic layers.

The standard card (without contactless) is all metal.

If your current card does not have the contactless feature you may be able to obtain a metal replacement without contactless. Speaking with a customer service agent (during normal business hours, not on a holiday) may increase the chances of receiving the card you prefer, but certainly no guarantee.
gooselee likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Mediahound
Per the screenshot, Contactless card is a different choice than Request Metal Card.
Correct. But the contactless is also metal, so requesting a new metal card may result in a metal contactless which is not what OP wants.

Per mia's subsequent post, looks like there is a way but I wouldn't trust the website method as it may try to add contactless to any replacement card.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by mia
The contactless version is metal with a single plastic layer. The plastic is there to facilitate the contactless function. ... The standard card (without contactless) is all metal.
I have a non-contactless Plat with a thin plastic layer on the back- I know this, 'cause just like with my previous plastic cards, I'm starting to wear the metal card "out", too- the plastic lamination is beginning to lift on one side.

If there's an actual, all-metal card I'd like to get one, too- but the magstrip is on the plastic layer on my card (which is less than 18(...?) months old) and I didn't think they could put one on a metal card.
Attached Images  

Last edited by kennycrudup; May 28, 2019 at 9:54 am Reason: Added picture for clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.