Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 4:58 pm

Good for you. The Platinum rarely sees the inside of my wallet because I use it online most of the time and only take it with me when I plan to visit a Centurion lounge (rarely) or a FHR hotel (a couple of times per year). I'm annoyed because they're sending me the metal replacement right before the renewal, when I plan to cancel. It is a waste of money, environmentally unfriendly and I'll have to deal with the disposal of it too.
Old May 13, 2018, 5:03 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I do not use it Plat often, just for travel. But it anchor my wallet. The cards I use to MS do not stay there long. One to two weeks. Chase CSR is there for all dinning. But this is going to change for Q3-2018 because of the Discover 5% quarter and I get cash back match.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by blaz
I just received an email that a replacement card is in the mail. My current (plastic) card doesn't expire until 2021 and I had no intention of replacing it with the pretentious, pointless and wasteful metal version. The annual fee is coming up on this account in June and I will be cancelling.
Seriously? It's a payment object.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Good for you. The Platinum rarely sees the inside of my wallet because I use it online most of the time and only take it with me when I plan to visit a Centurion lounge (rarely) or a FHR hotel (a couple of times per year). I'm annoyed because they're sending me the metal replacement right before the renewal, when I plan to cancel. It is a waste of money, environmentally unfriendly and I'll have to deal with the disposal of it too.
It isn't a waste of your money, so why the hostility? You see the card timing as suspicious because it came with your renewal, but Amex doesn't have any way of knowing you aren't renewing until you call and tell them. They probably saw it as an opportunity to help a card member out since more like the metal than not.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Gig103
It isn't a waste of your money, so why the hostility? You see the card timing as suspicious because it came with your renewal, but Amex doesn't have any way of knowing you aren't renewing until you call and tell them. They probably saw it as an opportunity to help a card member out since more like the metal than not.
Yeah I don't understand the hate for the metal AMEX Plat either. It's a beautiful card, it feels nice in the hand, and the lettering is printed well (big and engraved).

I have to wonder if some people actually own a metal AMEX Platinum or just make up stories to stir the pot.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
The main reason I don't like metal cards is the lack of contactless payment.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Steve M
The main reason I don't like metal cards is the lack of contactless payment.
The metal Platinum card is contactless.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The metal Platinum card is contactless.
Not by default though, it has to be requested. It's definitely a nice card aesthetically.

Originally Posted by RedSun
The Chase Ritz card is a piece of solid metal. It is so heavy, so raw. It is not even a piece of art. It can be used for self defense.
I typically don't carry either my Platinum or the Ritz card unless I'm travelling, but a couple weeks ago I had both of those in my wallet at the same time and I did a double take when I realized how stupidly heavy the wallet was.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Personally there doesn't seem to be much of a purpose for having metal cards, but as mentioned above people seem to like them.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Not by default though, it has to be requested. It's definitely a nice card aesthetically.
You have to request a contactless card most of the time. The exceptions are the Hilton cards and the future SPG cards, and probably most of AMEX's other cards after they get a re-design.
Old May 14, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I did NOT​​​​ request that any of my three Amex cards be provided contactless: Platinum, Delta Gold and Hilton basic no AF. It was their decision to send them that way!

The )))) symbol is on the back​​​ of the metal Platinum card.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; May 14, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Old May 14, 2018, 5:37 pm

You're the exception, not the rule. For most other people, it needs to be requested.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Yes, it is in fact a waste of MY money. The metal card was introduced at the same time as the AF went up to $550, so I'm paying for this nonsense through the AF. But this is not the only reason I object to the metal card:

1. It is a waste of resources that could be better spent on meaningful things (like improvement to benefits, even if minor).
2. Sending out replacement cards when it is clearly not needed (mine expires in 2021) is environment pollution.
3. The metal card can not be shredded.
4. There is no contactless version of the fully metal card. There is a separate contactless version which is partly plastic and partly metal. The fully metal card can not be contactless, as it simply would not work.
5. You say they couldn't know that I won't be renewing. Yes, they could. I'm sure Amex has statistics on how many people renew their cards. Also, common sense dictates that most people cancel their cards *after* the AF is billed, not before.
6. Why do you assume that more people like the metal card? Am I missing something? What exactly is the attraction? As someone in this thread said "it is a payment object" and I will add "and not a piece of jewelry".

Last edited by blaz; May 14, 2018 at 6:40 pm
Old May 14, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I did NOT​​​​ request that any of my three Amex cards be provided contactless: Platinum, Delta Gold and Hilton basic no AF. It was their decision to send them that way!

The )))) symbol is on the back​​​ of the metal Platinum card.
Then that seems like a one off, since neither my metal Platinum card, or any of the other Amex cards I've received since then (Ameriprise Gold, Green, and Delta Gold) have come with contactless.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Yes, it is in fact a waste of MY money. The metal card was introduced at the same time as the AF went up to $550, so I'm paying for this nonsense through the AF. But this is not the only reason I object to the metal card:

1. It is a waste of resources that could be better spent on meaningful things (like improvement to benefits, even if minor).
2. Sending out replacement cards when it is clearly not needed (mine expires in 2021) is environment pollution.
3. The metal card can not be shredded.
4. There is no contactless version of the fully metal card. There is a separate contactless version which is partly plastic and partly metal. The fully metal card can not be contactless, as it simply would not work.
5. You say they couldn't know that I won't be renewing. Yes, they could. I'm sure Amex has statistics on how many people renew their cards. Also, common sense dictates that most people cancel their cards *after* the AF is billed, not before.
6. Why do you assume that more people like the metal card? Am I missing something? What exactly is the attraction? As someone in this thread said "it is a payment object" and I will add "and not a piece of jewelry".
Wow, just wow. If something as seemingly trivial as the physical characteristics of your credit card makes you this aggravated, then perhaps it's time to do something different. Switch to cash maybe? @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.