Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:49 pm

Does anyone know if the Schwab AMEX Platinum comes in contactless ?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by C W
Does anybody know if activating your contactless card will deactivate your current metal non-contactless card?

I want the contacless for some cities, but mostly I prefer the non-contactless.
The contactless card can be used in contact-only terminals as well. There is no security risk to having a contactless card, unlike fearmongers sometimes claim.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:34 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by AllieKat
The contactless card can be used in contact-only terminals as well. There is no security risk to having a contactless card, unlike fearmongers sometimes claim.
I'm not worried about security, after all that's Amex's liability, not mine.

I iust dont don't like how the contactless card looks and feels. See comparison linked in the wiki.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by C W
I'm not worried about security, after all that's Amex's liability, not mine.

I iust dont don't like how the contactless card looks and feels. See comparison linked in the wiki.
The contactless Platinum does seem to look uglier than the non-contactless version, which is weird because my contactless PRG looks better than the non-contactless version.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I want to say that having the metal card for the month in my wallet with little use, the card is now stained all over and the mag swipe is gone in a lot of spaces. This doesn't happen with my plastic cards. The card went from something cool to something embarrassing to show people.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by ktremor
I want to say that having the metal card for the month in my wallet with little use, the card is now stained all over and the mag swipe is gone in a lot of spaces. This doesn't happen with my plastic cards. The card went from something cool to something embarrassing to show people.
How often do you show your cards to people?

I must live on a different planet. For all I care, all cards could go back to the days of plain looking plastic things. As long as the purchases go through and I get my points/miles/cash back/rewards/etc, I'm fine regardless of how cute/precious/wallet candy the cards are.

</rant>

Had to get that off my chest. So far, my three week old metal Plat Amex looks pretty much as it did when I got it.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Being from ATL, I grew up using credit cards as ice scrapers for car windshields in the winter. Can metal cards still serve this purpose or would they scratch the glass?

I would think they might actually work better after an actual ice storm (vs. just a frost dusting).
Old May 5, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Being from ATL, I grew up using credit cards as ice scrapers for car windshields in the winter. Can metal cards still serve this purpose or would they scratch the glass?

I would think they might actually work better after an actual ice storm (vs. just a frost dusting).
This made me laugh! I remember using casette tape cases in the high school parking lot, LOL. Maybe just buy an ice scraper?
Old May 5, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by manda99
This made me laugh! I remember using casette tape cases in the high school parking lot, LOL. Maybe just buy an ice scraper?

It was only partially a joke . I've used cassette tapes too! Whatever works.

I had an ice scraper once. I left it in the shed behind by house in Maryland when I moved back home, along with my snow shovel. Sort of a symbolic gesture of one of the reasons I left that area.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:16 am
C W

Stainless steel and most other metals cannot scratch glass. If there are any coatings on the windshield it may scratch them. Metal may also be more likely than plastic, due to its greater strength, to press gravel and grit against the glass in a way which may result in scratches.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C W
Stainless steel and most other metals cannot scratch glass. If there are any coatings on the windshield it may scratch them. Metal may also be more likely than plastic, due to its greater strength, to press gravel and grit against the glass in a way which may result in scratches.
Jeez, dude. Way to be all smart and on-topic. Here I was just having some Friday morning fun.

Kidding, of course. That's a good point about the coatings and stuff. Though I've had instances where sand or something actually gets "stuck" in a plastic card and then that drags across the windshield.

I should just stay at home if there's frozen stuff outside.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:49 pm
C W

Jeez, dude. Way to be all smart and on-topic. Here I was just having some Friday morning fun.

Kidding, of course. That's a good point about the coatings and stuff. Though I've had instances where sand or something actually gets "stuck" in a plastic card and then that drags across the windshield.

I should just stay at home if there's frozen stuff outside.
Sorry, it's the chemist in me talking
Old May 7, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
Originally Posted by Corsair66
OK, where else would one keep such a card? All of my other cards are in my wallet and the notion of keeping one or more in a separate location doesn't appeal. I'm still having trouble imagining what I'd gain from a contactless card over Apple Pay. It seems like a solution in search of a problem.
You're misunderstanding the order in which the technologies came in to existence. Apple Pay (and Android Pay, and NFC Samsung Pay) are phone-based implementations of contactless. Cards came first, phones came later - we just didn't get them here in the USA.

Contactless (NFC) payments are ISO/IEC 14443 protocol defined by EMVCo:
http://www.emvco.com/specifications.aspx?id=21
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_smart_card

The physical cards with contactless chips in them have been around for more than a decade. At some point, the phone manufacturers realized they could put a chip in the phone that did the same thing as the chip in the plastic cards, with the added security of a PIN or fingerprint scan before the chip activates itself.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brillb
You're misunderstanding the order in which the technologies came in to existence. Apple Pay (and Android Pay, and NFC Samsung Pay) are phone-based implementations of contactless. Cards came first, phones came later - we just didn't get them here in the USA.

Contactless (NFC) payments are ISO/IEC 14443 protocol defined by EMVCo:
http://www.emvco.com/specifications.aspx?id=21
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_smart_card

The physical cards with contactless chips in them have been around for more than a decade. At some point, the phone manufacturers realized they could put a chip in the phone that did the same thing as the chip in the plastic cards, with the added security of a PIN or fingerprint scan before the chip activates itself.
I remember having a contactless-capable old Blue Cash card back in 2007 or so, actually. Of course, the novelty kinda wore off after the second or third time I tried using it at CVS--mainly because it was the only place around me that had the necessary readers. (And that doesn't get into their current--possibly undeserved--reputation for poor security that caused issuers to make them only available on an opt-in basis. Assuming they bothered having them at all.)
Old May 7, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
How do I get a plastic one again?

So my question after reading this whole thread - does anyone know how to get a plastic card again? I thought I was good for another 5 years but my number was stolen so Amex had to replace - and the new card I got is naturally metal. Except I don't want metal, and I'm being told there's no option for plastic. Clearly there must be some option - I just want the same plastic card as the rest of the world has, I don't need to "show off" with a metal card. And more importantly, I need to walk through a metal detector on a regular basis without a problem.

Does anyone know someone I can call or write to get a plastic card again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.