Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
Despite earlier reports I've also noticed several co-brand people report they lack the "metal card" option and I haven't seen any explicit DPs that co-brands are getting it. I wonder if they aren't prepared for the extra printing so those aren't available yet.
Was with online chat ~2am est regarding a different issue. was asked if i want to upgrade to metal and got them to overnight my schwab plat. Got the card replacement notification e-mail at 12:40am pst.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:31 am

Did anyone get a tracking number from FedEx?

i got a ups my choice alert but nothing from FedEx
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by WantsAmex
Did anyone get a tracking number from FedEx?

i got a ups my choice alert but nothing from FedEx

Got an email from AMEX for my FedEx tracking at 0500.

Says it'll be here by 1030am today. That's ridiculously fast to produce the card specially one in high demand.

EDIT: I called for the card request at 0818 yesterday

Last edited by SpootyPuff; Mar 31, 2017 at 4:01 am Reason: quote
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Was with online chat ~2am est regarding a different issue. was asked if i want to upgrade to metal and got them to overnight my schwab plat. Got the card replacement notification e-mail at 12:40am pst.
received a delayed delivery email from UPS.

No FedEx tracking yet..

We previously sent you a delivery alert for the package(s) shown below. This package(s) will not be delivered as originally scheduled. We will provide you with updated delivery information as soon as we can and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:27 am

Shipping

Got the tracking number through FedEx delivery manager yesterday. Unfortunately American Express voided the shipment last night and I have no other incoming shipments from FedEx or UPS. The rep assured me I would have it by Saturday.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:29 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by KRSW
... I'm having trouble thinking up a design that would be thin enough and sturdy enough to still be a metal card AND contactless.
There is one bank in Singapore which issues such a card. See HERE. No information about how well it works.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Both of my shipments were cancelled and Amex reps are giving me the run around.

They can't say when the new cards will ship.....
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:35 am

Requested my card 3/29/17 at around 10:30pm PDT. Got FedEx tracking. Shipment voided at 9pm 3/30/17.

Just called customer service, and they said that they cancelled the tracking. I was told it was so backlogged that I'm probably looking at around 4/8. What a bummer...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: 1K, HH Gold VIP, Plat PC, Ex National, Plat Amex
Out for Delivery

Ordered on the 30th. Got the fed ex tracking number this morning and looks like it arrived in my town this morning. Out for delivery and is Scheduled for delivery by 7pm this evening. I'll let you know if I do get it and that it is a metal card.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
My shipment also showing as "failed to ship". I imagine it will cancel out later today.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:02 am

I never got a tracking email. I checked online and under card management and it shows expected delivery to be 3/31 via FedEx Standard PM. I hope it didn't get cancelled.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:47 am

I see the tracking in my FedEx app, but all it says is that the shipping label was created yesterday, but I don't see that they ever received a package from AMEX so I'm doubtful it shipped.

What's disappointing is that the first order I placed was "too early" and so the online chat rep offered to order another card. When the terms and conditions came up, it said that I would get a new card number. I told her I didn't want that and would happily wait, but she said the order was already placed and it would be here today.

So now I have no working card, a new account # and all the pain that comes with updating everything attached to it, and no idea when I'll receive my card.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:51 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Mine was requested around 4:30am ET on the 30th. Around 5am ET on the 31st got email with DHL tracking for shipment to Germany. It has already made tracking progress, so will not be canceled. From tracking looks like it was picked up in Omaha around 8:30pm local time on the 30th.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:10 am

I still see expected 3/31 vai UPS next day, but I haven't received a tracking number or anything

Last edited by geoffk; Mar 31, 2017 at 10:11 am Reason: remove quoted post
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geoffk
I still see expected 3/31 vai UPS next day, but I haven't received a tracking number or anything
Just spoke to a rep via chat. She said that due to high demand, there's no guarantee that it will arrive today or whatever "expected delivery date" is listed for you. Also, they don't have tracking numbers, though their system can tell whether or not the card shipped. In my case, it seems it did not ship yesterday even though the UPS order is still there yet she also said that it could still arrive today. For what it's worth, I ordered around noon central time yesterday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.